How accurate is your scale?

Options
I'm looking for a good quality, reliable, accurate scale for my home, to make sure I really know how much I weigh. Anyone have any recommendations? I think I'd prefer a waist-high digital readout, and I'm willing to spend no more than $500 (but hopefully less). Thanks!

Replies

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I was actually looking for accuracy ranges on some recent scales and I couldn't find this, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter how accurate the scale is, rather that it is precise and consistent.

Better off spending that money on a regular digital scale, daily activity monitor like fitbit (they have a scale that syncs with it and great mfp integration) or body media fit (more expensive and more publicly worn, but IMO the best way to find tdee, and a before and after bod pod testing for bodyfat. They will give you a very accurate weight then too.
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I use my wii fit and its perfectly accurate
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have a Withings - I find that out of all of them that I have used over the years - this one seems to have the least amount of variance on multiple "step on's" at one time. I hate the ones where every time you step on it in a sequence - they vary by a couple pounds.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    No such thing. It's all relative anyway. Just get one and use that one exclusively and that's all you need. Every scale you step on will be different. I hate my Dr.s scale. It adds like 10 lbs. they told me they never calibrate it because it doesnt matter. They are just looking for big trends, big gains or massive losses. Not really looking at specifically what you weigh.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you really want accuracy, look at a medical supplies. And you will need to get it periodically calibrated. This is what most people who montior weight for medical reasons do.
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I don't think mine is very good...i got an inexpensive one to keep track of my weight....i would like to get a nice digital one...so i don't have to try so hard to figure out where the hand is landing!
    San :)
  • mbaker824
    mbaker824 Posts: 16
    Options
    I have a Withings - I find that out of all of them that I have used over the years - this one seems to have the least amount of variance on multiple "step on's" at one time. I hate the ones where every time you step on it in a sequence - they vary by a couple pounds.

That's actually what I'm looking for more than anything else. I have a cheap bathroom scale now, and if I step on it five times in five minutes, I'll get five different weights (and a pretty wide range). As long as it's fairly consistent I can live with it.
  • edwinhigg
    edwinhigg Posts: 4
    Options
    I have a "Health-O-Meter Professional" that uses weights. It checks out within two pounds of the scale in my dietitian's office which is calibrated on a regular basis. My wife and I are very happy with it after discarding several digital models that were unreliable. I found it on Amazon.com. It is heavy but the shipping was free with Amazon Prime and it came in two days.
  • LiteBrite007
    LiteBrite007 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm about to buy an omron body composition analyzer thing. priced att 129 on the website but on amazon its like 65 bucks. Perfectly accurate.
  • mbaker824
    Options
    I ordered an "Eatsmart Precision Plus Digital Bathroom Scale with Ultra Wide Platform and Step-on Technology" from Amazon this morning. It has a 4.8 out of 5 rating based on 3,000 user reviews and everyone seems to agree that it's accurate and consistent - plus it only costs $37. We'll see how it works out...
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    We have a Taylor scale that tells you BMI, BMR, Body Fat %, Water %, and weight of course. I was curious about how accurate the weight function was, so I got my 3 lb hand weights and put both of them on there, and it read 6.0 lbs exactly! Knowing this, it makes me annoyed to go to the doctor's office and see 3-5 lbs more on their scale.
  • nigel061
    nigel061 Posts: 109
    Options
    I ordered an "Eatsmart Precision Plus Digital Bathroom Scale with Ultra Wide Platform and Step-on Technology" from Amazon this morning. It has a 4.8 out of 5 rating based on 3,000 user reviews and everyone seems to agree that it's accurate and consistent - plus it only costs $37. We'll see how it works out...

I looked for this on Amazon .... one of the sponsored adverts says ....

"Customers Viewing This Page May Be Interested in
    These Sponsored Links

Digital Platform Scale - Up to 3000kg Industrial Platform Scales from £235 View & Buy Online."

(3000kg = 6614 pounds!!!)
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    We have a Royal tel-weight that the veterans gave my hubby its pretty accurate and she talks to u
  • sarahdee2007
    sarahdee2007 Posts: 257
    Options
    I use my wii fit and its perfectly accurate

Me too. Always reads the same as the gym scale, friend scale, and dr scales. If you use it on carpet, make sure you use the extension cups or it will not read correctly.
  • jenkaym
    jenkaym Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have had my Eatsmart Precision Digital Bathroom Scale (actually the model below yours) for a little over a month now and I am really impressed. You can step onto it multiple times and always get the same reading. I have also heard that the company has great customer service if your scale is not working properly. Good choice!!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    There's no need for fancy scales. I bought one on clearance before we changed to eating right and such when I was trying to get pregnant. I think I paid $12 for it and it's a digital step on. Both times we've gone in for our BF% test our scale matched theirs +\- 1/2 lb. 1/2 lb if that! I'd say that's pretty accurate.
  • mbaker824
    Options
    I have had my Eatsmart Precision Digital Bathroom Scale (actually the model below yours) for a little over a month now and I am really impressed. You can step onto it multiple times and always get the same reading. I have also heard that the company has great customer service if your scale is not working properly. Good choice!!

Thanks for the confirmation! As long as it's reasonably accurate I'll be happy - but it has to be consistent. I can't trust any measurement that isn't repeatable.