Eating too much

Options
A friend of mine recently asked me 'How can you be losing weight. You eat so frickin' much!'. I know she didn't say it to hurt me, but I have been beating myself up over it. For the last 4 weeks, I've been steadily losing 2 lbs/week, but I can't shake the feeling that if I don't eat -that- much, I would be losing more...Some motivation/advice would be helpful.

Replies

• alexngbr
    alexngbr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    2lb a week is brilliant! Surely what you want is something you can sustain so that you keep it up without starving yourself. If its working then why change it. I bet your friend is jealous.
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    yes, sounds jealous to me!! anything more than 2lbs a week is unhealthy, you are doing GREAT and have found the golden ticket: eating more and still loosing!! it means your chances of keeping it off for the long run are great!!!

keep up the good work and dont change a thing!
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    2 pounds a week is healthy weight loss - don't get too aggressive with it. While it might sound good to lose faster, you have to learn how to keep the weight off while you are losing. Your goal is to have a healthy life, not to be a yo-yo diet plan. And yes, you need to eat to lose, believe it or not.
  • rchughes
    rchughes Posts: 2
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about it, that's Awesome! "Eating more and losing weight" sounds like you've found the best way to lose weight =) Don't stop it if it works. Your friend may just be confused because it does sound counterintuitive. If it works for you then keep doing it.

Keep up the good work =)
  • jstrong123
    jstrong123 Posts: 10
    Options
    2lb per week is amazing. Honestly if you are satisfied with how much you eat and are losing 2lb that means you have identified your personal sweet spot. REALLY. It is so easy to get caught up in losing the most "weight" possible that I think many forget that it is difficult to lose more than 2lb of fat per week, which is the real goal. It is certainly possible to lose more weight than 2lb per week, but you really run the risk of more of the weight coming from muscle.

2lb per week is amazing, keep doing what your doing. And if you hit a plateau at some point, only then should you consider reducing your food intake.

There is a point where you can not eat enough food to support weight loss. Avoid the "If I eat less I'll lose more" trap. A lot of nutrition advice is keen on saying "don't go below 1,200 calories if you're a woman or 1,500 if you're a man" but it's more individual than that. I am male and although hunger doesn't bother me under 1,800 calories per day, I stop losing weight. My personal sweet spot is ~2,400 per day (I lift weights 3 days a week and walk daily) and it took a lot of eating less and eating more to find it.

If you've found that point where you lose 2lb week over week, that's your sweet spot. Ignore your friend. -J
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said, stick with the 2lbs a week. Perfect rate.
  • vacationnut
    vacationnut Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Remember......the most important person is YOU! Don't worry about what others think.
  • Swopkin
    Swopkin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone. I hadn't expected so much support. This truly is an amazing community with amazing people!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    It is a conundrum...eating plenty and losing weight. It isn't that you're eating so much, its that you're eating what you should be eating, and probably healthier than ever before! enjoy! Eating less isn't always the answer, eating better is.