Special K protein?

Options
Would it be alright to drink a special K protein shake instead of a meal? Or rather have a protein bar?

I already don't have the stomach to eat much as it is, but would this help me with gaining the muscle I want?

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    EDIT: I won't encourage your poor choices.
  • ladylonglegs21
    ladylonglegs21 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like the double chocolate s.k. protien bars - but instead of eating them as a meal I try to just sub them in instead of the regular candy bar I used to eat every day...
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Would it be alright to drink a special K protein shake instead of a meal? Or rather have a protein bar?

I already don't have the stomach to eat much as it is, but would this help me with gaining the muscle I want?

Special K will give you CHO before proteins, what muscles do you want ?
  • ladylonglegs21
    ladylonglegs21 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

What do you mean by "CHO?"
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options

What do you mean by "CHO?"

Hahaha...I did a search for "CHO acronym" and it pulled back a site which gave me a list. The first definition was: "Chinese Hamster Ovary". But I think Razique might have meant carbs (CHO - Carbon Hydrogen Oxygen). I like Chinese Hamster Ovary better, though.
  • EmCeeKayla
    EmCeeKayla Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to gain muscle in my arms, abs, and my legs. I know the exercises and other things I do from ballet and other dance, but I was told to consume more protein.
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    5/29/10 for Fat/ Carbs/ Proteins

In other words, there is no point in eating such for proteins :)
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    I'm trying to gain muscle in my arms, abs, and my legs. I know the exercises and other things I do from ballet and other dance, but I was told to consume more protein.

Eggs, Tuna, Lentils, Red Meat, Chicken Breats, Greek Yogurt, Soya, Dairies, etc... will give you the proteins you are looking for
  • naecarter
    naecarter Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I drink one for my snack between breakfast and lunch. It doesn't hold me over for longer than 2 hours, but it does the trick for the amount of time I need. It does have a fairly high amount of sugar though, but I like the amount of fiber and protein it has in it.

I just glanced at your profile. You may not get the feed back you're expecting with this post if others view it too.

Good luck!
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    The mistakes I commonly see around is thinking you need proteins for building muscles.
    It's true when it comes to pure science, but in fact, focus more on eating enough CARBS and FAT first
    Nutrients is a detail when it comes to losing /gaining weight, what matters is the balanced diet first.

Don't bother with the proteins shaker at that stage, just make sure you eat balanced
  • EmCeeKayla
    Options
    My dance instructor said I needed more protein. I've honestly stopped trying to lose weight. I haven't danced in around a month, so that's mostly why I haven't eaten much. Once I start dancing again, I assure you I'll be eating around 2000 or 2500 a day.
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    My dance instructor said I needed more protein. I've honestly stopped trying to lose weight. I haven't danced in around a month, so that's mostly why I haven't eaten much. Once I start dancing again, I assure you I'll be eating around 2000 or 2500 a day.

eating more proteins won't give you more muscles. More muscles mean strength training first. Dancing will "tone " you, and help you to define more your body - but I'm not sure you 'll need more proteins for such (I could be wrong though)
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options

You've stopped trying to lose weight but you only have a 500 calorie a day goal? And some days net less than 300 calories? Even if you were in a coma you'd need more than that.

Does your dance instructor realize you're starving yourself?
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options

You've stopped trying to lose weight but you only have a 500 calorie a day goal? And some days net less than 300 calories? Even if you were in a coma you'd need more than that.

Does your dance instructor realize you're starving yourself?

Nothing much to expect from him if the only advice he gives is eating more proteins for having muscles.
    Agree with yah
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    You need to eat to gain muscle. Your calorie goal is 500 a day ... even adding in some extra protein you wont' gain muscle on that. You are pretty much starving yourself.

Eat more healthy foods. More food, more calories, and more protein will help you build muscle along with strength training.
  • bunnygirl1978
    bunnygirl1978 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Eggs, Tuna, Lentils, Red Meat, Chicken Breats, Greek Yogurt, Soya, Dairies, etc... will give you the proteins you are looking for
    [/quote]

Start strength training, muscles will soon appear
  • EmCeeKayla
    Options
    I just want to say that if you saw my studio, you'd know that there's girls who eat under 200 calories a day. We have a strict weight limit to where we can't have a BMI above 22. If you do, you're less likely to be picked for ANYTHING.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that if you saw my studio, you'd know that there's girls who eat under 200 calories a day. We have a strict weight limit to where we can't have a BMI above 22. If you do, you're less likely to be picked for ANYTHING.

Sorry but it might be a good idea to look into a new studio for your dance. This one is not healthy at all.
  • EmCeeKayla
    Options
    It's VERY rare to find a dance studio at this level that is completely healthy. If you ask them, they'll say that they have nothing against weight, but weight is very likely to affect your performance and appearance. I could look 100 pounds but weigh 130 and be fine. Unfortunately, dancing is a really corrupt world.