running snakcs

Options
Cheval13
Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
hi all. I am going for a long run Friday and am looking for a snack/some snacks to take a long. Any suggestions? I am looking for easy things to carry as I hate running with more than a watch on my wrist...but yeah, running in SoFla 15 miles is no fun without food or water...(especially without water... clearly I lack common sense...)

Replies

• ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Try frozen grapes! Cold, sweet. You can grab a handful and keep running. Can you stash water and a snack somewhere along your route. A friends mailbox or something so you don't have to carry it?
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Frozen grapes sound amazing! But I usually run huge circles rather than a bunch of little ones because otherwise I get super bored....I also would have to buy some grapes first...I was reading about honey packets, but that sounds way too sweet and would make my mouth feel REALLY weird...
  • Casi23
    Casi23 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I just tried Clif Energy Gels at a recent half marathon (they were giving them away for free). CERTAINLY not nearly as tasty and refreshing as frozen grapes sound on a hot run...but they def helped me at the 10-11 min mile mark.

Disclaimer: I'm not a huge fan of running gels, beans or snacks. I don't like to slow down to eat something, I generally HATE sweets and I hate carrying stuff with me as well.

But I found these shots tasty enough (I had the lemon lime) and they're small enough to stash in my sports bar (sorry guys) or the little key pocket in my shorts. : )
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes are awesome! For me though they bring on bear attacks, so I save them for the last 2-3 miles.

I like gummi bears, it's a nice little hit of sugar. I'm also a big fan of banana chips.

I have a ultra runner friend who eats a lot of honey. It makes me nauseous though. Granted, he runs in minnesota and I run in Atlanta....maybe it has to do with the heat for me.