Drinking soda's

Options
I am wondering something about drinking soda's. I almost always drink diet soda's. Not many, usually 1 glass a day at dinner, maybe at the weekend 2 glasses.

I know there are lots of different stories about drinking soda's. So my question is, eventhough there aren't many calories in diet cola, or whatever diet. Would it be better to not drink soda's at all, if you want to lose weight?

Replies

• Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have 1 can of diet soda a night and I've been losing weight at a reasonable and consistent rate. I'm sure it would be healthier to not drink it but I'm not ready to give it up yet.
  • Feddyvon
    Feddyvon Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The very first thing I do when starting back on a healthy diet is cut Soda out completely. Though there are no calories, I have no doubt that it is the leading cause of my sugar cravings. Within a week of cutting out the soda, my cravings are minimal at worst, and I think it all has to do with the Aspertame. The soda alone won't hurt you, but I can't turn off my sugar tooth when it's part of my diet.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Most diet sodas have zero calories or 0.1etc and no sugar. So they won't directly affect your calorie consumption or sugar levels. However I noticed that I associated diet sodas with eating unhealthy. Cut it out and you might noticed the same.
  • AndiPandi687
    Options
    There's a study out there somewhere that says drinking diet soda more then twice a day can actually make you gain weight and is not good for dieting. I cut pop out of my diet 6 years ago. Not because I needed to but because the carbonation hurts me. Though on a rare occasion I will have a root beer.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i drink zero fizzey drinks each day, they are sugar free and its no diferent to water.
  • laverne325
    laverne325 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I ONCE SAID I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO LIVE WITHOUT MY SODA, BUT NOW I HAVE BEEN OFF SODA FOR OVER 6 MONTHS AND NOW CAN TELL THE DIFFERANCE IN DRINKING THEM, I AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH WATER WIEGHT AND SEE ALL THAT SALT IN SODA'S THAT I DON'T NEED. AND GLAD THAT I AM OFF, OH DON'T GET ME WRONG I HAVE A SODA SOMETIMES BUT NOW I PREFER TEA OR WATER WITH OUT THE SALT.
  • XstitchCarina
    XstitchCarina Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am not sure if I will be cutting my 1 glass a day yet, but it is good to find out more about it. I know about the calories, but never checked out the other stuff.

I do use a lot of aspartame in my tea. I drink British decafinated tea, quite regularly a day. Probably close to 1½ liter a day. And I enjoy it. But I use sweeteners, so I guess I already get too much of that stuff in my system.
  • JulieThree
    JulieThree Posts: 1
    Options
    Well, I just joined MFP and this is my first post. I just drank my last Diet Coke. If anyone has any tips or experience with breaking the diet soda habit, please do share. Thanks!
  • flobee76
    flobee76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I like to have a Zevia soda a couple of times a week. :) They are sweetened with Stevia, they are pricey, so I treat it like a special snack. :D
  • xPOOKiEx
    xPOOKiEx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking regular soda and switched to Diet....I wouldn't have more than 1 Dr.Pepper (Diet) a day...some days none, but I still wasn't gaining..but my hard work wasn't showing on my figure.

My thing is...I can drink diet soda and not gain wait, but I won't see any results from my work outs...since I stopped ALL sodas, I've seen a great change in the mirror.

Seeing from the other posts it depends on your body :)
  • DMarkSwan
    DMarkSwan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've given up soda in the past, but I'm just not ready to do it again. I drink 6oz of regular soda in the morning and another 6 at lunch and that seems to satisfy me without blowing my calories. Although it still blows my sugar. I could switch to my little 2oz Coke glass, but my coworkers already make fun of my 6oz one and 2oz probably wouldn't be very satisfying. I've heard the stuff in diet soda does weird things so I don't see it as better or worse than regular, just different.
  • CraftyPayne
    CraftyPayne Posts: 41
    Options
    I drink 1 maybe 2 bottles of diet coke everyday , not sure i want to give it up as i enjoy it too much .
    But if someone has evidence that this is not helping I will try to cut it out ... it wont be easy though !!!
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Carbonation may reduce fat loss by binding to fat cells, which slows down weight loss, according to Fit Day.

And, on a personal note, if I run within 24 hours of drinking a carbonated beverage I feel like I'm gonna keel over from stomach cramps.
  • angie_sample
    angie_sample Posts: 190
    Options
    i use to have one pop a week as a special treat. But about a month ago they started making my stomach hurt really bad so pop doesnt sound good to me at all anymore. I dont know if artificial sweeteners are bad for u or not, but since they are so debated i figure it cant hurt to just try to stay away from them.