I'm 4'11" and 135 pounds..short people question:

Options
I have been exercising for two weeks (about 4 days a week for an hour) and I have been religious on my calorie counting and I've gained 2 pounds. Is that muscle?

For shorter people, it seems harder to lose weight. Anyone in here a mini me like me? When did you actually start seeing results?

Replies

• drea4784
    drea4784 Posts: 7
    Options
    I am with you on this one....hope to see some responses!! (I'm only 5.1!)
  • amccall69
    amccall69 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm 4'11" and weighed in this morning at 148. I am built very solid (curvy with big "girls")...I lost 20lbs 4 yrs ago and ever since then, I can't budge the scale.

I'm shooting for 125, but I'll be happy with anything inbetween! It is harder when you're shorter because you have less "closet" space to store the extra junk in...

Here's to hoping for results soon for ya!
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1. I saw results when I cut out the sugar (not fruits but added sugar) and the processed foods. I can't see your diary so I have no clue how you're eating. Also I upped my calories from 1200 to 1310 and am losing more weight. I work out 5-6days a week. I do 40mins of cardio (treadmill, bike, stair master) and about 30mins of weight training. I also saw a lot of results from doing Jillian Michael's 30DS and Ripped in 30 dvd, so far I've lost 8lbs and 19inches.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I doubt it's muscle since it was only been a couple of weeks. How much calories are you eating?
  • a_masone
    a_masone Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 4' 9" and currently 125. I started out pushing 140 and after the new year decided to get my butt in shape! I'm trying to get down to 115, but I feel your pain. It is definitely harder for us, in my opinion! I've been working out for 5 days/week since then, mixing cardio & weights. I started to see some results about a month or so ago, when all my new work pants that fit are now huge! I read a quote somewhere that it takes 4 weeks to notice results yourself, 8 weeks for close family & friends, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world. Definitely keep going, it will pay off! Us shorties can look good too! :) ....I know I didn't really answer your question, but it may be muscle, may be water weight, I don't know enough to say. I do know that my weight fluctuates a lot, depending on the time of day, how much water I drank, etc. I'd try and weigh yourself at the same time of day each time. Maybe take your measurements and keep track of your progress that way vs. just the scale? I know I took some "before" pictures a couple of months ago and I can't wait to take some "after" ones when I feel comfortable enough with my loss and see the results side by side! Good luck!
  • rockerchick81
    rockerchick81 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I believe my calorie goal is 1,280. Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far

Here is an example of a typical day:

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein

Coffee-Mate ( French Vanilla) Sugar Free - Sffv Creamer, 0.5 tbsp 8 1 1 0 Ico_delete
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 1 fl oz 0 0 0 0 Ico_delete
    Sweet N' Low - Sweetner, 0.5 packet 0 0 0 0 Ico_delete
    Mackintosh - Apple, 0.5 cup cooked 60 0 0 0 Ico_delete

Lunch
    Sugar Snap Peas - 10 Pods, 10 pods 14 3 0 1 Ico_delete
    Chipotle - Veggie Burrito Bowl (Rice, Black Beans, Tomato, Corn, Hot Salsa), 1 bowl 370 69 6 14 Ico_delete

Dinner
    Fresh Express - Veggie Lover's Salad Mix, 1 cups (85 G) 10 2 0 1 Ico_delete
    Apothic Red (Blend of Zin & Merlot) Ca - Wine, 10 oz 244 7 0 0 Ico_delete
    Gina's Skinny Recipes - Spicy Thai Beef and Jasmine Rice, 1 cup 317 33 6 31 Ico_delete

Snacks
  • katlynx6
    katlynx6 Posts: 68
    Options
    It probably not muscle - from what I understand it is very hard (if not impossible - I'm not sure as I haven't read any research on it yet) to GAIN muscle while eating in a caloric deficit. That being said it is definitely possible and important to preserve the muscle you already have by strength training!

It's probably water weight. Typically if you start up a new exercise regime, your muscles retain water to help them repair, which will show up on the scale as a gain, but is obviously temporary.
  • flobee76
    flobee76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am 4' 11" and I have a LOT to lose. I've noticed that my weight is coming off VERY slow. :( I noticed that when I started exercising (30 Day Shred), I put on a couple of pounds, but I was losing inches!! I was chalking up the gain to water weight gain.

There should be a 5' and Under support group! ;)
  • rockerchick81
    rockerchick81 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's always hard to lose weight but it is more difficult for the short and sweet people like us :)
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I know that what you posted is just an example of what you eat, but I would make sure to get more protein in each meal and drink tons of water if you are going to hit up Chipotle. I LOVE that place but the sodium contents are through the roof!
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    My mom is 4'10" and has the same issues. Her body is changing though. Just keep it up, it will come.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I am 4' 11" and I have a LOT to lose. I've noticed that my weight is coming off VERY slow. :( I noticed that when I started exercising (30 Day Shred), I put on a couple of pounds, but I was losing inches!! I was chalking up the gain to water weight gain.

There should be a 5' and Under support group! ;)

it is water weight with that video, trust me LOL
  • Juliechilli
    Juliechilli Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm 5'0 and 133 pounds. I've been vigorously exercising for about 3 months now and dieting for two months. I'm down between 5-7 pounds and it is super super slow for me. I'm 38 and I'd like to get to 125. It literally seems impossible for me! I wish I could just stretch myself about 6 inches.. I'd be all set :)
  • LexieeLovee
    LexieeLovee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1

And I've notice my body type from the side Ive slim down a tad.. But head on I look smaller.. I'm sure you've gained muscle there's no way you worked out for 2weeks and haven't made a difference that's physicallyn impossible unless you haven't changed your eating habit. I say in stead of watching the scale try to track your inches. instead you'll prob. See better results that way...
    I've changed my eatting habits tremendously for the last month in a half I work out 6am 5days a week ive lost 16lbs so far..