Protein/Recovery Powder

Options
Amberh82
Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
Right now I'm doing Insanity and they keep talking about drinking your recovery formula (protein powder). Is this necessary? I have some, I just don't want the calories, but will if my muscles really do need it. Thoughts?

Replies

• AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    IDK if it's as effective as "they" say it is, but I do drink a scoop of whey mixed with water or milk after doing Insanity. If nothing else, it gives me a little bit of fuel for the rest of the evening. I drink the Optimim Nutrition 100% Whey in Double Rich Chocolate flavor. I like it so much that I look forward to drinking it after my workout =)
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a TRUE recovery drink, you can use a scoop of whey with a banana. I highly recommend you get a recovery drink though. ESPECIALLY, if you feel tired for the entire day after you work out. I am currently using Endurox R4 but I prefer the BB brand.

Also, if you are trying to lose weight, I would go with one scoop only. If you go with Whey and a banana, use half a banana. Also, make it part of your daily totals.

And only drink it when you feel like you EARNED it. When I feel like I didn't give 100%, I skip.
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    You don't need it. As long as you're meeting proper protein and calorie requirements for the day, protein shakes are irrelevant. Unless you like them.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    No, they're just trying to get you to buy supplements.
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    No, they're just trying to get you to buy supplements.
    this
  • Amberh82
    Options
    I bought the GNC Whey Performance, it says recovery on it. I am one of those people who after insanity, I feel blah the rest of the day.... and I do my workouts in the morning.
  • Amberh82
    Options
    IDK if it's as effective as "they" say it is, but I do drink a scoop of whey mixed with water or milk after doing Insanity. If nothing else, it gives me a little bit of fuel for the rest of the evening. I drink the Optimim Nutrition 100% Whey in Double Rich Chocolate flavor. I like it so much that I look forward to drinking it after my workout =)

I might look into this one if it is that tasty. so far, not a big fan of most of the protein powders I've tried. only one I really liked so far is the Biggest Loser Blueberry and that really doesn't have much protein in it....
  • k_gilphy
    k_gilphy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a triathlete and make sure I consume some sort of protein/recovery food/drink after all of my hard workouts. It helps my body to recover. I don't think you necessarily need the protein drinks they recommend. My favorite is low fat chocolate milk. It saves a ton of money.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I bought the GNC Whey Performance, it says recovery on it. I am one of those people who after insanity, I feel blah the rest of the day.... and I do my workouts in the morning.

This is the one I drink and I LOVE it - I drink the cookies and cream YUM :) Matter of fact I just went to GNC's BOGO 50% off . I am now set for like two months lol
  • bjnorvell
    bjnorvell Posts: 43
    Options
    The BB Recovery formula is to help repair your muscles and to help with soreness after working out on Insanity.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    A good protein powder definitely helps you recover after those intense workouts. It helps you to build (or rebuild) your muscles so that you're less fatigued for the next workout. I noticed a huge difference after I started drinking protein shakes after an intense workout - I didn't feel nearly as tired or sore and was ready to go again for the next workout. But, having said that, if your workout wasn't that intense and/or are not feeling tired afterwards, you can probably skip the protein powder.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

I might look into this one if it is that tasty. so far, not a big fan of most of the protein powders I've tried. only one I really liked so far is the Biggest Loser Blueberry and that really doesn't have much protein in it....

I don't think it's necessary to get the BB recovery forumula, just get a good protein powder. I like the GNC Pro Perfomance AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. It's a little on the pricey side, but so far it's the best stuff I've had. The chocolate tastes like Nestle's Quick, and I can take it with plain old water, whereas with other protein powders, the only way I could take them was if I mixed them with milk. Again, I know it's pricey, but it's worth it. Cut my recovery time in half. Just be sure to drink it within a half hour after your workout - and I only use one scop, maybe two if I've had a particularly rough workout that day.

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3509954&cp=3703232
  • Manthafl
    Manthafl Posts: 3
    Options
    If you want to "date around" for the right protein shake without the risk of wasting money, go to Vitamin Shoppe, they accept returns for any reason. However personally I love the GNC pro performance lean muscle meal replacement shakes because they taste awesome. I have been purchasing these shakes for about 5 years now. Vanilla is great alone in a simple shaker cup or in the blender. I blend a small amount of fresh/frozen/no sugar added fruit on really hard workout days. Chocolate is excellent too but I simply prefer the versatility of vanilla. Because it is a "meal replacement" I usually half the packet. The entire packet has 40 grams protein, 2 grams fat, 18 carbs, 8 grams fiber, and 250 calories. Half a packet, 20 grams of protein, is a perfect amount for post-workout.

Always have some protein/carb meal within 60 minutes of working out so the glycogen you deleted can be restored. If not you will catabolize the muscle you have (not good, less muscle = slower metabolism) and you won't gain the benefit from your strength training workouts (protein is needed to create muscle = higher metabolism).

P.S. To save money GNC offers Gold membership which gets you 20% off and also buy one, get one half off. When both discounts are in effect, I stock up!

Good luck!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

Protein shakes aren't going to change anything