Running Advice?

Options
Hi All

I've recently started running to help with the weight-loss. Some things I've noticed since:

Stats: Female, 32 years old, starting weight 215lbs, current weight 204lbs, height 5ft 6

1) I'm developing an ache in my right hip, which hurts more when I run outside, less so on the treadmill. Is there something I can do different to stop this getting worse?

2) I'm running fast and slow at regular intervals, and have just bought a heart rate monitor. When I run at 7mph my maximum heart rate is 162bpm, that seems really high, should I slow down, or just keep at it until my heart rate slows down...I don't feel terribly uncomfortable when doing the 7mph, not that I could hold a conversation or anything.

I'm a novice and value ANY advice. My goal's to complete a 10KM run

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    The high heart rate is fine. I wouldn't do the bulk of your running there, but it's fun to run fast, right? :). It also helps you become faster in the long run.

If your goal 10K is outside, I'm assuming it is, try to run outside as much as you can. Hip pain in beginners is often a sign of muscle imbalance and/or Too Much, Too Soon (the most common beginner injury). You can alleviate some tightness with The Stick (www.thestick.com) or a foam roller. Also ensure you're stretching/warming up/ cooling down appropriately.

It might not be a bad idea to dial it back for a bit and let yourself heal up. You pick a goal race?
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    The thing with running is to take is slow and easy; if you start out too fast, you can't maintain. I've read that it's better to do distance than speed; at least until you build up your endurance and in the effort to burn more calories as opposed to say making a time trial or something like that.

About the hip pain...not sure what that could be. It may have to do with the pounding on the pavement...i notice that the longer I run, actually the less I hurt. It seems my body works out those kinks. Now, I can only do about a 6.2 mile consistently up to about 40 minutes before I want to die, but that gives me about 4 miles; give or take and a really incredible calorie burn.
    I had a back surgery and two foot surgeries over the last 3 years so I am just now getting back into running and will do my first 5K since all that this Saturday.

IMO - the speed is not so important, but the ability to actually stay at a pace you can maintain over a particular distance or length of time is what you should aim for. Hope this helps and good luck. Just stick with it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the world of running, I should caution you up front - it's addictive.

When you're running outside are you on concrete or asphalt? I try to stay off concrete sidewalks as there's absolutely no give to the surface. Are you landing first with your heel and rolling forward on your foot? Very common form for treadmill runners, try to shorten up your stride, your forward foot should not extend very far forward of your hips when running & try to land mid or fore foot.

Check out runnersworld.com for specific hip stretching and strengthening routines.

As to your pace, as a new runner your goal is to build endurance, try to do most of your running at a pace where you can carry on a conversation. I's the long slow runs that really build up endurance. Your heart rate will come down as your fitness improves.

Consistency is the key to running success, try to get out 3 or 4 times each week and build up your distances gradually to avoid overuse injuries.

Good luck & have fun!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    HR is fine - I acutally ususally sustain about there with my trainer.

Hip pain - could be a number of things - your gait, your shoes, muscle imbalance, etc. Have you had your stride/shoes evalutated at a running store?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    When you run outside, are you on dirt, asphalt or cement sidewalks? Cement is the worst, then asphalt, then dirt. Also, if you're running on an uneven surface, like the edge of the road, that can cause problems. Other than that, like Mel said, it could be too much too soon - either speed or distance. I'm a fairly new runner myself, and was doing great, injury free, until I pushed myself to 5 miles - bam! Knee pain. So I backed off, shortened my distances and the knee is getting better.

I hope that helps and your hip feels better, too!
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have a NEW, good pair of fitted running shoes. If you can go to the shoe store and let them analyze your strides, do it. It's fast and it makes a difference in the shoes you will feel your best in. Go slow, it's only your beginning. :) It just time. Stay consistent, have fun, and great job!
  • eagle_01
    eagle_01 Posts: 94
    Options
    The high heart rate is fine. I wouldn't do the bulk of your running there, but it's fun to run fast, right? :). It also helps you become faster in the long run.

If your goal 10K is outside, I'm assuming it is, try to run outside as much as you can. Hip pain in beginners is often a sign of muscle imbalance and/or Too Much, Too Soon (the most common beginner injury). You can alleviate some tightness with The Stick (www.thestick.com) or a foam roller. Also ensure you're stretching/warming up/ cooling down appropriately.

It might not be a bad idea to dial it back for a bit and let yourself heal up. You pick a goal race?

Thanks, ATLMel, I'm running in the BUPA 10km challenge end of this month. I have a feeling that it may be an imbalance, and as I read this I'm remembering all the times I've forgotten the stretching...including this morning :-/
  • triadvocate
    triadvocate Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yay for running, although you will have some aches and pains when you first start out running if this persist I suggest that you take a took at your running form and the shoes you are wearing.I tend to over pronate and have hip issues on my longer runs when my running shoes begin to break down. Also, the rule seems to be to replace your running shoes every 6 months but you know when your shoes lose the cush. I agree with running slow and steady. Build up a base line and then go from there going fast is great but it doesn't burn any fat but puts you into the anerobic system to where all you are doing is burning carbs. I was working on a 12 minute mile before my triathlon coach made me start walking. No, I didn't like it but I can maintian a constant speed a lot easier. I started running at 223 and now an 202. I have been doing triathlons for 5 years
  • eagle_01
    eagle_01 Posts: 94
    Options
    I had a back surgery and two foot surgeries over the last 3 years so I am just now getting back into running and will do my first 5K since all that this Saturday.

IMO - the speed is not so important, but the ability to actually stay at a pace you can maintain over a particular distance or length of time is what you should aim for. Hope this helps and good luck. Just stick with it.

Wow Kat, that's excellent! Hope you have a great run this weekend.

Thanks all for putting my mind at ease with the heart rate.
    I've just had a text off a friend recommending a running shop that works out your stride and recommends the best shoes, so I'll get myself over there this weekend! Wish I'd asked these questions a couple of weeks ago :)

I've been doing half of my running at a rate where I can't hold a conversation, so I think I'll dial it down a tiny bit.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I am guessing that your hip pain is due to a weak core. as you run longer, you core gets tired causing your hips to over rotate. This happened to me during my first marathon training cycle and I ended up with bursitis.