What am I doing wrong?

Options
I started myfitnesspal a little over a month ago. Before I began I ate generally healthy and worked out regularly. I'm 5ft 1 and about 168 lbs. I suppose I'm feeling a bit defeated after a mere 3 lb loss. The first week I felt like I was starving! (I had brain fog and was SO drained I could hardly complete a workout.) Now, even when I'm following guidelines I feel like I'm seeing no change or even gaining. Any thoughts or suggestions out there. My goal weight is 125-130!

Replies

• anarod0513
    anarod0513 Posts: 119
    Options
    Plateau, change up your work outs, confuse your body. Add some strength training.
  • rose_ruby
    rose_ruby Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    we would need more info. Can you open your diary? how many calories are you eating a day?
  • RobinDaBirdie
    Options
    It says I should eat 1200 cals/day. I do eat more on my workout days! I'll open up my diary! :) I'm totally open to suggestions! As for workouts...I already do a variety. I incorporate strength training (30 day Shred)...I run/walk, I also do p90x workouts and stair climb.
  • LouisCyphre
    LouisCyphre Posts: 10
    Options
    Your Starbucks addiction probably isn't helping :) What are the Quick Added Calories? 1200 cals/day seems really low to me but even if we suppose that's correct, nearly 1/4 of your calories consumed per day are from your Starbucks...
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I think you need to stop the coffee drinks and add some fresh fruits and veggies and lean meats/fish. Clean up your diet from sugars and processed foods to more natural foods. :)
  • RobinDaBirdie
    Options
    One question...I LOVE fresh fruits and veggies and many are negative calorie foods...do you all typically calculate them still...it frustrates me to add them when I know it's burning more to digest them, then are in them. Also, I've heard that programs like Weight Watchers points are 0 for fresh fruits/veggies.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    One question...I LOVE fresh fruits and veggies and many are negative calorie foods...do you all typically calculate them still...it frustrates me to add them when I know it's burning more to digest them, then are in them. Also, I've heard that programs like Weight Watchers points are 0 for fresh fruits/veggies.

I think that's kind of up to you. I track them, especially fruit - it's easy for me to go overboard with fruit because I LOVE it. Veggies, I usually also track, but that's just because I like to be as accurate as possible.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Are you using a digital food scale to weigh everything that goes into your mouth? Best <$20 investment you can make. Weigh everything in grams to be precise. Most people drastically underestimate the amount of food they're eating and measuring cups are deceitful. And yes, you need log fruits & vegetables...they contain calories.

Are you overestimating the calories burned from exercise?

Are you logging all beverages and things used to cook with (butter, oils, marinades, etc.)?

Are you drinking 8 -12 glasses of water per day?

Are you getting 6-8 hours of sleep every night?

Are you reviewing the nutritional information for the items you select from the database to make sure they're accurate?
  • gypsybug
    gypsybug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Count them all. They DO have calories and in some cases, significant calories. One banana can be over 100 calories depending on it's size. A big apple can be over 75 cals. Fruits and veggies also contain carbs and sugars and fiber. You'll want to be tracking those as well.

I did WW PP for a while and for a while I dual logged here and there. Discovered that they had given me a base of a mere 1000 calories and that my "weeklies" and "free" fruits and veggies were obviously meant to cover that gap. Explained why I felt like I was always going to pass out. That's one of the biggest reasons I no longer do WW.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    You do count them on this program. :)
  • RobinDaBirdie
    Options
    I have been calculating them for things such as apples/bananas, etc. Sometimes I snack on carrots and don't. I should start.
    My coffees are definitely an area I'd like to cut back on, but I'm still under on my carb intake and do low sugar or no sugar added in a lot of the foods I eat. I sleep well and have ALWAYS struggled to get my 8 glasses of H20 everyday! I'll try to make the small changes and hope for the best! :)
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I have been calculating them for things such as apples/bananas, etc. Sometimes I snack on carrots and don't. I should start.
    My coffees are definitely an area I'd like to cut back on, but I'm still under on my carb intake and do low sugar or no sugar added in a lot of the foods I eat. I sleep well and have ALWAYS struggled to get my 8 glasses of H20 everyday! I'll try to make the small changes and hope for the best! :)

For your workouts you are probably eating too little. The link here is designed for slow and permanent weight loss. check this out and let me know if you need any help with the numbers but 1200 is really low for an active person. Alot of people on here started out like you (including me) But realized something isn't right about starving yourself.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

As for fruits- Yes you count them with this program and I suggest you do. It is easy to get carried away with not tracking on here and this is from somebody who did WW point + before coming here.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have a feeling your goal per week is too aggressive. Is it set at 2 lbs per week? I just ran the estimated math based on your height, age and weight your BMR is over 1500 calories. That is the amount of calories your body needs if you were in a coma for 24 hours. And if you are working out fairly often (especially if you are doing p90x) then I wouldn't be surprised if you are burning up to 2400 calories. So eating at 1200 isn't going to be enough. My suggestion would be to start eating 1700 calories a day (every day) and don't worry about exercise calories. I would also set carbs at 35%, protein 40% and fats 25%. Additionally, stop drinking calories. They are useless.

One more thing, there is NO such thing as negative calorie foods.