Increasing Protein...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to put more protein in daily intake besides protein shakes? (I can't stand the taste)
Also if I am only doing cardio (45-60 mins moderate) how much protein do I need? (I know that strength training/toning is very important I will be adding it soon...I am trying to change my lifestyle in baby steps...I dont want to fail at this agian. 1+month going strong!)

Replies

• Meat, fish, eggs, cottage cheese, textured vegetable protein, Greek yogurt, beans, and more. There's plenty of sources for protein. As for how much you need, a general rule of thumb is 1g per pound of lean body mass.
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    The protein shake is still going to be your best bet. And I agree with you many taste awful, but keep trying different ones. If you like the taste of your favorite fruit then just add that to a protein shake. Bananas have a power taste and can hide anything. You mix bananas and strawberries with any protein shake and it will be all you taste. I just made my shake at work here using Body Fortress Whey Protein ( Cookies N' Cream ) and it tastes pretty good. 25g protein, 130 cals, 2.5g fat and 3g carbs.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    tilapia 4oz 23g protein, 110 calories
    tuna 4oz 26g protein, 100 calories

Now Sports - Whey Protein Isolate - Natural Unflavored, 1 scoop (28g) 105calories, 25g protein1carb
  • The protein shake is still going to be your best bet. And I agree with you many taste awful, but keep trying different ones.

LOLWUT. Why in the world is a protein shake going to be your best bet, when there are so many whole food sources of protein filled with micronutrients?
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    -anything that had a mother

-1g per pound of target bodyweight
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    -anything that had a mother

-1g per pound of target bodyweight
    Thank you, Soylent Green was the 1st thing that popped into my head. :smile:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Hating protein shakes is like hating ice cream. There are so many different flavors and ways to make it...
  • CatzMe67
    CatzMe67 Posts: 17 Member
    Try the Bolthouse Farms drinks, found at Walmart. They are pretty tasting and not loaded with bad calories.
  • petchib
    petchib Posts: 15
    Tins of tuna and salmon are ideal as quick, convenient sources of good quality protein.

Try adding cottage cheese to eggs (scrambled/omelette) and salads, one of my favourites is tuna and cottage cheese with a jacket potato.

Drink milk regularly throughout the day.

Instead of having just fruit, have it with low fat plain yoghurt.

Use milk instead of water with protein shakes, can make them creamier and more bearable and also increases the protein content.

So many other ways - use your imagination...:)

If all you are doing is cardio at the moment, increasing your protein intake to major levels will not be necessary. Just eat healthy and include lean protein with every main meal. Also, keep in mind that doing 1 hour of free weight training will burn more calories than 1 hour of cardio...it will increase your metabolism faster and keep you burning fat all day and sometimes longer.