::Exploding Head:: GPS HRM for Running

Options
LeenaRuns
LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
I'm looking for a GPS HRM for training (half marathons, etc.). I want something that is easy to use and tracks time, distance, and speed. I have read about a million reviews and my head is seriously about to explode. The ones I am really interested in are as follows (in no particular order):

- Polar RS300X
- Timex Run Trainer
- Garmin Forerunner 110
- Nike+ Sportwatch GPS

Please let me know if you have experience with any of these watches and the pros and cons. Thank you so much!!!

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    Options
    No one here uses GPS HRM? That's interesting...
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    The only con that I have with GPS trackers is if you live in an area where there are a lot of buildings your GPS won't work. If it's cloudy out your GPS won't work. If there is tree coverage where you're using it your GPS won't work.

I bought a GPS watch (Garmin forerunner. Can't remember the number though) and I live in a wooded are and it never worked for me. I used it for maybe a week and ended up having to return it to the place I bought it who thankfully accepted the return even though they only did exchanges.

It's just something to keep in mind when you purchase one.
  • Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I just got a Garmin 210. Love it! Seriously, I LOVE the thing. I don't know about the other's... went straight to the Garmin.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I have a polar blue tooth that I use with my smart phone.
    It works good, but just eats batteries.
    I am thinking I want to switch to a Zephyr.
  • will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Ive used various Garmin versions over the years and liked them all. I prefere the regular watchface with chest band ones vice the big square head ones.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Nike fitbit?? I dont know if that has a GPS.

My money has for over a decade now gone to Garmin for GPS/HRM combos.

Hope that helps
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    If I was buying one today I'd get the Garmin 210 or 310XT
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Garmin is THE name in all-things GPS. I've owned a Garmin Forerunner 305 for more than 5 years with no complaints.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 405 and it is great. It does have a few small idiosyncrasies, but I would but it again. the only thing about he HRM...I have yet to figure out if the calories burned are calculated from the distance or directly from your heart rate, because they are really close whether I use the HRM or not. So if you want the HRM to specifically track your calories, you may want to look into this.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't. I have a Polar F6.

I pretty much know the distances of the routes I run. If I don't, I calculate them on mapmyrun.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    If you do a search (above) there should be tons of threads with this information. I wish I could offer some other info but I have yet to get an HRM. (I am hoping that Mother's Day will solve that problem.)
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    www.dcrainmaker.com for your most informed source.

ETA: I currently use a Forerunner 305 but look forward to upgrading to the 910XT.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Garmin 305
  • LeenaRuns
    Options
    Thanks guys! I know the GPS function will work for me because right now I'm using my phone with mapmyrun, but I'm lame and keep dropping my phone while running because I'm constantly fidgiting with it. I keep hearing Garmin!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I use a Forerunner 305. I have a hear monitor, but I don't like them so I don't use it. For GPS - I've used it in a forest and in a city. It loses connection once in a great while, but it will quickly pick it up again and recalculate based on the points. It's usually not a big deal.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 HRM, and the GPS (and music) on my iPhone through Runkeeper, I don't have an all-in-one.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Also here's a good deal on a used 305 if you are so inclined.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=438437&posts=1&start=1
  • DMarkSwan
    DMarkSwan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin Forerunner 301 or 305 and it works very well. I like it because I don't have to stick to premeasured routes if I want to know how far I've gone. Technically, if I get lost I can retrace my steps with the GPS. I can setup intervals ahead of time so it will have a beeping warning as the interval start approaches and again when it ends. Once you upload the data you can do all kinds of analysis with it on their website and many others. You can set it to alert you if you are not in your planned HR zone, or speed zone if you prefer. It can automatically record splits either by mile, or location. Mine works on my bike as well and I have an extra attachment to put it on there.

It is a big, bulky watch. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to get a full signal, but once it does I've only ever lost it in large buildings. It has more info than I'll ever need. I think my running partners who don't use gadgets get tired of waiting for it to connect before a run, but they always want some of the info during or after the run. I've had the battery worn me after 6 or 7 hours, but even after another hour it was still working. (That was not straight running, it was a triathlon plus the time I had it running in transition before the start.)
  • LatterDaisySaint
    LatterDaisySaint Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Garmin FR70....love at first sight UNTIL I saw how many calories I was actually burning.....GRRR!!

I zumba....HARDCORE, sweat dripping and everything. I've been guessing my calorie burn based on my friend's wristbands which tend to show 650 - 800 calories burned per hour.... BUT when I finally used my Garmin for the first time, I was floored by the results: 458?!! Then another class was 398. WTH?!!

Some friends think it MUST be broken, because they know how hard I work in class. Others think it's accurate because I am 5'3" and about 128 and don't have much to lose, so I wouldn't burn as much. SUPER frustrating....I love food. :o)

Thoughts?!! Not sure if this is normal or I should return the thing. Zumba is supposed to burn 500-1000 per hour. I assumed I was toward the higher end of the spectrum based on my (sweat!) performance.

~Elle
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I use a garmin 310XT and have nothing but praise for its GPS. However, I have not had much luck with the HRM. When the strap is new it works great. But I have found that their straps start to wear out in less than six months and give very erratic readings.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    As long as you get an HRM with a chest strap you should be fine.
    I wouldn't trust anything without a chest strap personally.
    I have a Polar FT60 and love it .... Had a FT7 previously and it worked just as well and was cheaper.