Did you gain after upping calories? When does it stop??

Options
I'm 5'8" 165lbs and I recently plateaued so I upped my calories from 1,550 to 1,750 after hours of reading and researching about BMR and TDEE, etc. I didn't usually eat all of my workout calories back but now I've started to which means I'm consuming about 1,950 everyday. I've gained about 2 pounds so far and I'm wondering if this is normal when you decide to up your calories at first? Also, when does it stop? I don't want to gain back all the weight I've already lost. Thanks!

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    There will ALWAYS be a gain at first.

It's impossible to say when it will stop. A week? A month? 2 months? I would say you need to give it a good 30 days of CONSISTENCY before you change.

I personally found that when I started weight lifting and began eating 2000 calories a day (even rest days) instead of my former average 1800-ish calories a day, I gained 2 lbs. But then I also found that I can eat up to 2400 calories per day and not gain anything more. In the meantime, my bodyfat% has decreased.

The ideal situation is to very slowly increase and hold a higher level of calories for an extended period of time and look at the trend -- not a temporary gain or loss for a day or two, but over some weeks.

Good luck.
  • vivideloquence
    vivideloquence Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I'm not the only one this has happened to. :) I plan to stick with it and I don't mind a few pounds, but I don't want to keep gaining and gaining!
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories a few days ago after being stuck for a while. I recorded a loss this morning! So it definitely worked for me.
  • doylej2
    doylej2 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same stats as you! I'm 5'8" and was plateaued at 165 for the longest time. Beginning of March, I upped my calories from 1440 to 1600 to 1700 and now I'm at 1790. I gained 2lbs in April around Easter but now I'm 158 as of my last weigh in. So, 7 lbs in 2 months! It's not quite a pound a week but it's better thank nothing.
  • gypsybug
    gypsybug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I gained four pounds initially, but it then dropped off in my third week and yesterday I logged a weight below the weight I started increasing cals at.

But every one is different. It's really hard to stay the course, but I believe it's worth it. One little, kinda funny thing I noticed in my research of the subject (likely similar to yours) is that a LARGE proportion of folks advocating the eat more weigh less method had proof in their profile pics. Lean muscle, spectacular stats, and an overall fitness level that speaks for itself. No better arguement for the method.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    This is worrying me too my whole life Ive be hearing eat low lose weight and it worked?but never on calorie counting I have taken good advice from mfp buddies and researched alot and as I was losing 0lbs to 05lbs most weeks I have upped my caloris from 1200 gross to 1649 gross which is my BMR I never eat my exercise calories (I would if it was a special occassion) and I started this last week,I lost 1lbs but feel heavier I know that sounds funny but I was so hungry before some days I could hardly have the energy to walk,I was burning 500-1000 calories in exercise 3-5 times a week on 1200 calories gross my average net was 620 most days -240
    So with fear id upped them and one buddy said first 2 weeks she sts next 2 weeks she gained 5lbs followed by an average of 0.8lbs loss a day some days not some days a small gain.
    Im hoping I lose 1-2lbs a week as Im getting married in Decemeber and I still have 70lbs to lose though that will take me longer.

As said the advice here is good do it for 30 days soild weighing and measuring everything that goes in your mouth and drink fluids and no cheat days and if you dont lose adjust it,you may lose more on lower calories but what happens when you get to goal your calories allowence will be tiny and youll feel hungry for life? x
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I gained four pounds initially, but it then dropped off in my third week and yesterday I logged a weight below the weight I started increasing cals at.

But every one is different. It's really hard to stay the course, but I believe it's worth it. One little, kinda funny thing I noticed in my research of the subject (likely similar to yours) is that a LARGE proportion of folks advocating the eat more weigh less method had proof in their profile pics. Lean muscle, spectacular stats, and an overall fitness level that speaks for itself. No better arguement for the method.

This exactly!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Give it a month. :)
  • thecazstewart
    thecazstewart Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I increased from 1200 to 1400 and then to 1500. I initially lost 1.5 pounds and then gained 1 back. I am waiting to see what happens tomorrow, but even if I've still gained or stayed the same I'm sticking with this for at least 3 months before doing anything,

I've been at 800-1100 for 4 years (and lost nearly 5 stone and 5 dress sizes during that time) but was always plagued by stalling. And having read up on BMR and TDEE it makes a lot of sense to me in terms of realising my body had adapted itself to maintaining at 1100 per day.

I was always cold (a bone deep horrible cold all the time and I never ever felt hungry. I now enjoy having my stomach rumbling at appropriate times and I am beginning to feel a little less cold now, so this is a bonus too.

However my clothes are looser, so something positive is happening. As my BMR is 1429 and TDEE is 2301, I should probably increase it to 1750 before deciding whether this is working for me. But I am hopeful.
  • vivideloquence
    vivideloquence Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! This is the encouragement I needed to stick with the higher calories! I'm not a patient person but life style changes are worth some patience. :)
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I'm there with you. I have a BMF and I'm averaging a TDEE of 2900 a day, so 20% less is 2300. I'm trying to slowly work up to that and see if I can finally start losing again. :-)
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    #1) Join the group - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
    #2) You shouldn't be eating back your exercise cals if you are eating at TDEE -15 or 20% as exercise calories are factored in to that equation.
    #3) Join the group.. and read every thumb tacked thread!