HARD TO LOSE WEIGHT AFTER 45

Options
ANY SUGGESTIONS, I WORK OUT 5 TO 6 DAYS A WEEK EAT 1200 TO 1300 CALORIES AND I STILL CAN'T LOSE WEGHT

Replies

• DBethS
    DBethS Posts: 3
    Options
    I've been having the same problem. I talked to a PA yesterday and she said to eat the # of grams of protein that you'd like to weigh. In other words, if you'd like to weigh 150, eat 150 g protein per day. She also said to limit carbs to 45-50 g per day. I hope this helps you. Good luck.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Well it might be time to start eating more. 1200-1300 calories is bare minimum. That only works for so long till you hit a wall. Start aiming to lose 1lb a week instead of 2. Also if you work out, I'd make sure to eat back some of those calories.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    44 here and it's been a hard long struggle. Progress is slow but it's progress.
  • angmberry
    angmberry Posts: 6
    Options
    have you had lab work done to make sure your thyroid and other hormones that can affect weight loss are in order? If your body is ok health-wise, then change it up...our bodies are smart and need to be tricked.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Not enough info to go on really, but is 1200-1300 enough? How tall are you? Sedentary or active life aside from exercise? How many calories are you burning? Please know you don't have to starve to lose weight. I had to learn it the hard way myself.

Yes, losing weight as you get older is tougher, but not impossible. I'm proof of that. I'm 50 yrs old w/fibromyalgia & osteopenia, and have been somewhat maintaining ( a little off recently, but that's temporary) on about 1700-1800 calories.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • dd65togo
    dd65togo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercises are you doing and you might not be eating enough calories if your burning a lot of calories working out...your body will slow your metabolism down to prevent from starving...I've started introducing intervals into my exercise routines to help with weight loss....good luck:)
  • karendsmith
    karendsmith Posts: 167
    Options
    I am 49, and started in March, have been losing about a lb a week...cardio and weights. I eat back my exercise calories and that does help. 1200 cals is for being sedetary/no exercising. Try upping your calorie intake a bit since you are exercising and incorporate some strength training. And, as the other post said, get blood work and talk to your doctor to make sure you don't have anything else going on.Good luck!
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and I find that when I eat more, I lose better. i run 3-4 days a week. When i "loosen up" a bit on my diet, I have a better loss. It's really a hard hurtle to jump mentally, though. I struggle with it daily. Good luck.
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I am 43, I struggled so terribly with losing weight, I can't tell you how miserable I was. Later, I found out that gluten was a serious problem for me. Also, I struggled with depression and chronic pain, and as a result of the depression, I believed I had some endocrine problems. After my son, I breastfed for a year and 3 months... but did I lose weight? nope. I tried going on a diet and exercising when I was breastfeeding and guess what happened? I stopped producing milk. Instead of burning fat, my body decided I was in crisis and stopped making milk! That was 3 yrs ago... I am now off all my prescription meds, use only herbs (to treat depression, chronic pain endocrine probs) and am losing weight. Stress, depression, rx meds, chronic pain, endocrine problems... those were things which hampered my ability to lose weight.
  • ribena1958
    ribena1958 Posts: 152
    Options
    I am 54, and yes it is harder. I am going through the menopause and all over the place [period wise] which really doesn't help. But sticking with it does help, I've started to eat less carbs and upped my protein like my GP said and its now working, I don't eat certain fruits as they tend to hold more water, or limit them...............water melon, pineapples, and not too many bananas. I eat an apple a day, and it does work! I've started to loose again. Its hit and miss, but keep going at it. Make sure you eat ALL of your calorie allowance even the ones you "earn". The reason I am saying this is, its not eating less that makes your loose weight, its the eating more.............the amount of calories IS important to maintain weight loss. I think heading for 1 pound per week is fine, its the better way of doing it, don't look at the short term and DON'T compare yourself with anyone else, we each have our own private journey :) keep at it hun, xx I know how it is!
  • meme4d2
    meme4d2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 49, and I too have been having a difficult time with weight loss. Since starting to use this site, I have lost all of .2 pounds! And that's with tons of cardio. This week, I'm adding in strength training, and hoping that helps. Best of luck to you. Do let us know how things work out for you. :smile:
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    I am 51 and dropped 75 pounds in 8 months through hard work and a strict 1200 calorie diet and I am hypothyroid as well. It can be done but you have to work, 30 minutes a day isn't enough if you don't work out with intensity.
  • teemysue
    teemysue Posts: 1
    Options
    I am 47 and started using this program about 6 weeks ago...I took a while for the pounds to start dropping....and some weeks I don't lose any but in total I have lost almost 10 pounds. Stick with it!
  • ribena1958
    ribena1958 Posts: 152
    Options
    Well done everyone on this thread, I do feel its harder for us older ones to loose weight, especially around menopause time:huh: