::Exploding Head:: GPS HRM for Running

Options
13»

Replies

• dandreii
    dandreii Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've had my Garmin 305 with the chest strap for about 3 years and have never had a problem with it, except one time. There must have been Interference because it said I was going 300 something mph. It doesn't take that long to get a signal if you set the watch down and not move it. I'd buy it again.
  • Lora0626
    Lora0626 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Garmin is THE name in all-things GPS. I've owned a Garmin Forerunner 305 for more than 5 years with no complaints.

I've had mine for 6 years and I L-O-V-E it! I have very small wrists, and yes it is big, but I don't notice it when I run.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Do you want just GPS and HRM?
    Do you want to be able to download and slice and dice the numbers any way you want?
    Do you want to use it indoors (treadmill)?
    Do you want to use it on a bike too?

The 110 is yes to the first two, but no to the last two. And it doesn't allow you to set up anything funky like intervals.
    The 210 is similar to the 110, but you can use a footpod instead of the GPS - you can track yourself on a treadmill. It also lets you design and load workouts onto the watch
    The 410 does everything the 210 does, but adds the ability to track a bike speed/cadence sensor (but not a power meter). The 405 is very similar.
    The 610 adds a touch screen and some other bells and whistles.
    The 910 adds even more, including swim lap counters and linking with a bike power meter.

Then there is a Timex Run Trainer, similar to the 405
    And the Timex Global Trainer, similar to the 310, which I didn't mention, as it's focused on multi-sports, not just running.

Timex also makes the Marathon GPS. It's $100 and only does GPS. And it doesn't download.
    Soleus makes a "1.0", identical to the Timex Marathon GPS and a "2.0" that adds downloading.

IMHO, the sweet spot right now is either the 910 for all the goodies, or the 405. I found a couple at my local Target 2 weeks ago for $110 (without a HR belt, which is $20 through amazon)
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've had my Garmin 305 with the chest strap for about 3 years and have never had a problem with it, except one time. There must have been Interference because it said I was going 300 something mph. It doesn't take that long to get a signal if you set the watch down and not move it. I'd buy it again.

Garmin all the way! I'd have mine for 2 years with absolutely no issues at all. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to get a signal but that would be the only complaint I have. It calculates speed, distance, calories burned and of course HR.
  • DocGu
    DocGu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago I had the Garmin 405. It had a touch bezel that was virtually impossible to use. I hated that thing. I could almost never get it to work while on the trail and if I wore a jacket, the jacket touching the bezel would make it work - in ways I didn't want it too.

Last year I bought the Nike+ SportWatch GPS and couldn't be happier with it. I had to buy a specific chest strap for is as my older chest straps didn't work but I love it. It is so easy to use and very user friendly.