A Question for the ladies...

Options
Ok so right before and during my TOM I'm starving!! Like I can't stop eating, my stomach is screaming type hungry! I try eating protien and other foods that fill you up and keep you full but I still feel like I haven't eaten in a week. Anyone else have this problem? How do you stop the need to eat!! Chocolate especially is my great weaknes...baked myself a cake last night.

Replies

• jumpthemoon
    jumpthemoon Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Drink lots and lots of water. Ice water is great because not only is it good for you, but your body needs to burn more calories in order to take that cold water and make it body temperature!
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I totally feel you!! Especially chocolate.. God and chinese food.. Mmmm... Anywho.. I really don't have any advice, but I go thru the same thing :sad:
  • 08sweek
    08sweek Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, and I also dread my workout because cardio makes my cramps and headaches so much worse. I decide to give my self a few treats in the first two days of my TOM because those are the worst for me. I don't completely blow my diet, but I usually take the days off from working out and let myself eat pasta and other foods I may crave during the month. Drink lots of water and focus on eating iron-rich foods because you are losing a lot of iron from your body which also increases fatigue.
  • laurajoyk
    Options
    I would drink a lot of water, that always helps me feel more full, also for chocolate cravings I drink no sugar added or diet hot cocoa, the no sugar added doesn't taste as bad, or skinny cow has pretty good fudge bars, you can eat way more of them and be better off than eating a cake :wink: I also crave salty foods, so I buy the portioned bags of chips so I don't eat a huge bag of them in one sitting. Hope that helps.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If you don't take any vitamins, try that. It can fill a void in your diet which may be causing you to be extra hungry. I also find green tea to be good for suppressing my appetite. After a meal, plan what you are going to do in your head then you know when you are done eating you are on to the next task rather than back to the kitchen for something else to eat.
  • angievill
    angievill Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! Lots of Chocolate and Chips for me!!!
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    When I know it's that time of the month I tell myself "this is temporary and that tomorrow this will be gone", try and just make it through the day. I get the same craving and it's insane but I find if I can identify the trigger (i.e. TOM) then I sometimes have a better time getting through it. Other tricks include eating a ton of popcorn or graze on fresh fruit if it’s available. Sometimes you just need to feed the demon but count it, put it in your food diary and try to budget it in. It may be just a piece of dark chocolate that you are craving. I did Body for Life a few years back and they encourage everyone to have one free food day a week. I usually used that as one free treat day a week and always got myself an ice-cream sunday. I lost 25 pounds in three months and that ice-cream sunday never affected my weight loss so maybe you could just have your one free day a month and indulge. It might quiet monthly demon you battle.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    This is not uncommon at all. In a book I read "Lifetime of Running" there was a section for women. It is not strange for your body to need up to 500 calories more during the beginning of TOM. I find if I just plan to eat more calories of healthy stuff, that works. If I try to tough it out then I hit the chocolate and baked goods.

Hope this helps.
  • incorporeally
    incorporeally Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For some reason, I crave greasy foods, like cheeseburgers, fries, liquid cheese, anything fried... I also inexplicable find that soda and chocolate makes the cramps better, though I'm pretty sure this is just psychological. I agree with the ice-water tip. Other than that just try to keep bad things out of the house at this time. I feel you pain. :flowerforyou:
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i get the same way .it seems like i get so hungry i will try water and hot chocolate.
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    For some reason, I crave greasy foods, like cheeseburgers, fries, liquid cheese, anything fried... I also inexplicable find that soda and chocolate makes the cramps better, though I'm pretty sure this is just psychological. I agree with the ice-water tip. Other than that just try to keep bad things out of the house at this time. I feel you pain. :flowerforyou:

Ditto for me. Anything that is sold at a fast food joint--I want it. I just let myself binge on those days, but try and make up for it with the exercising.
  • vitabella
    vitabella Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I know when TOM is coming so i prepare by eating foods rich in magnesium. I reduce salt, and especially caffeine. I also try to eat more salmon, & olive oil during my period. If im starving i eat a sweet potatoe.
    But if i must have something sweet which i usually do, i go to this place called Yogurteria and get 1 1/2 cups of frozen yogurt w/chocolate chips. It works for me.
  • Angelgrlkas29
    Options
    Some months I get the same way, and other months I'm not hungry at all. Sometimes, this happens to me for two weeks before my TOM...I try to stick to healthier foods and not buy the snacky stuff...as for chocolate, dark chocolate always satisfies my sweet tooth a lot faster than milk chocolate so I don't eat as much of it. But, I agree with all the other ladies who've posted ideas and suggestions. I also try to keep my hands and brain occupied on things other than food and can sometimes forget about my cravings - at least for a little while.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I bought weight watchers snacks.....choclate chip cookies and chocolate cake.....a snack is 90 cals....not that bad to fill that void. Also you can get dark chocolate kisses, which are 20 cals a kiss.....weight watchers icecream bars are pretty good too....120 calories per bar. They also make 100 calorie chip bags.....Hope this helps:)
  • ziggystar82
    Options
    i was going trough the same thing the first 3 weeks. and around TOM it was worse cuz my body got out of wack cuz of the eating changes! I pretty much just sucked it up! if i was that hungry i would have a piece of fruit or a bite of something small just to chew. it all about will power and believe me i am still working trough it.