Question about running??

Options
I work out everyday and I have added running in the evening to my routine. When I run I get tightness in my neck muscles and upper shoulder areas (I am guessing from body positioning or tension) does anyone have any helpful hints that might help/be causing this to happen?

Replies

• m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    Anyone?
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    For me, running in my area, especially on anything with an incline or hills, takes a lot of mobilization. I have to continuously remind myself to relax and drop my shoulders. A massage therapist also suggested getting an exercise ball, and laying backwards on it for 20 minutes straight, 3 times a week (while watching tv or something like that), and letting your neck/back muscles relax and go back to their regular form as sitting at a desk, or just stress will make us hunch up. Not sure if this answers your question or helps.
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Do you warm up first? Maybe do arm circles and stretch your shoulders more. Sometimes we forget that running isn't just using the legs, it's full body.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I used to get this too and sometimes still do on my longer runs. I found that upper body workouts, pushups, shulder shrugs, anything to build up those muscles has helped my shoulder tightness.

This was said earlier, I have to continuously remind myself to relax and drop my shoulders, and is also true for me.
  • shannon_121285
    Options
    This happens to me when I forget to relax my shoulders. Think about your shoulders!
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Make sure you aren't running with your fists tightened. Hold your hands as if you were holding onto a potato chip.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Make sure your shoulders are down and back and your hands do not clench. Look ahead.

58335757643354709_i2awLPZg_f.jpg