Stair-Stepping Newbie

TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
Guess this belongs more in here. I accidentally posted it under the motivation board!!

Ok, this may be a really stupid question so just beware! LOL!

I work out at the gym 4 days a week and am pretty confident in how to perform on most machines, etc. (am up to a high resistance on the elliptical, etc) HOWEVER, for some reason, as much as I want to try the big stair-stepping machine, I feel like a dork every time I step on it because it starts moving right away and I don't know how to work the machine yet!! LOL! So, I just don't do it but I know it's a great workout!

Anyway, is there a method to getting on it and getting the settings into place without falling off of it and looking like a nincompoop??? (I love that word but never get to use it!!)

Thanks!
Tami

Replies

• TamTastic
    Guess this belongs more in here. I accidentally posted it under the motivation board!!

Ok, this may be a really stupid question so just beware! LOL!

I work out at the gym 4 days a week and am pretty confident in how to perform on most machines, etc. (am up to a high resistance on the elliptical, etc) HOWEVER, for some reason, as much as I want to try the big stair-stepping machine, I feel like a dork every time I step on it because it starts moving right away and I don't know how to work the machine yet!! LOL! So, I just don't do it but I know it's a great workout!

Anyway, is there a method to getting on it and getting the settings into place without falling off of it and looking like a nincompoop??? (I love that word but never get to use it!!)

Thanks!
    Tami
  • Hey. I only just mastered it. I thought that since it is so hard to go down at first I had to increase the looseness of steps. This is not true. Start where you are barely making any step. Quick pace. After, raise the level by one every minute or so. Stay in the first "zone" until you are able to keep pace with the harder ones. Good luck!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Are you talking about the old-school stairmaster? Or what I call the "treadmill from hell", which is like a four step escalator going the wrong direction that never ends?

The stairmaster is not that hard, but takes a little getting used to. I find that it's easier if I add resistance, otherwise I feel like I'm falling through the earth. Since most machines are easier without resistance, this was a big discovery to me.

The treadmill from hell, well, I haven't had the nerve quite yet. . .:flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    I think I'm talking about the treadmill from hell! LOL! It's HUGE!! There are like 3 or 4 of them only...and the row sits right behind the row of ellipticals and I am always seeing people vie for a spot on them.....but the one time I attempted to "get on"....it immediately fell back to the floor and blushing......walked away! LOL! I haven't tried it since.
  • jpwarner
    jpwarner Posts: 194 Member
    There is one at the Gym I go to. 2 of them actually. I watch others use them, me, I think I will avoid htem as much as possible for a whie.

good luck with you matering them.
  • violetvy
    violetvy Posts: 33
    When I step on the first few steps it does start to move...but after a little bit, it stops. So you just have to walk a few of the steps and it will come to a stop, then you can start entering your settings.

It is a good work out, I huff and puff everytime I am on it!

Just to be sure...I am talking about the stairmaster machines...is that what you're talking about?