Losing weight but NOT inches??

Options
I am so confused. I've been feeling pretty good about my progress just going off the scales, I've lost 15lbs so far. But I'm not noticing ANY difference in my body! I've taken measurements but my waist, hips and arms haven't gone down at all, and possibly even up a bit depending on where exactly I measure. I have lost 2-ish inches off each thigh but is that enough to account for all 15lbs? What could I be missing? It's making me feel a bit disheartened really.

Replies

• MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Same here!! I've lost 11 pounds since 3/19 but very little in inches. I am eating well and wonder what is going on. I DO feel so much better and can tell that I am getting much stronger.
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. U'll see the inches melting.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite.........inches going and not the weight......lost 9 lbs since December, 2011
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I tend to go in a cycle - I'll lose pounds but no inches for a few weeks, then I lose inches but no pounds. As long as I'm losing something I really don't care, lol!

Don't worry, your body will catch up at some point. Keep it up!
  • riadastfu
    riadastfu Posts: 69
    Options
    Water weight is usually the first thing you lose and put on.
  • amysteves
    amysteves Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Yes I wondered if that might be it - I have been doing a bit but not as much as I'd like. This is probably a separate topic but what weights do you do? I'm more or less just going around the machines in the gym doing 3 reps of 10-15 of however much I can manage.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    2 inches off of each thigh is A LOT (Congrats!!!) so I'd say a lot of it was there - that's where I carry my weight too, so I don't "see" the difference when I lose weight there. Not saying it accounts for all 15 lbs, I have no way of knowing that, but just wanted you to know 2 inches is a great deal!!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    looking at your diary you eat very little so its more than likely your weight loss is water weight / muscle which will not make you lose inches, you will just end up 'skinnyfat' (thin but flabby).

Set a sensible goal such as 0.5-1lb per week, eat ALL your cals, aim for getting cals from healthy sources like lean meats, dairy, whole grains, fruit & veg, do some heavy weight training and then you will see inch loss.
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options

Yes I wondered if that might be it - I have been doing a bit but not as much as I'd like. This is probably a separate topic but what weights do you do? I'm more or less just going around the machines in the gym doing 3 reps of 10-15 of however much I can manage.

Target a particular body part and lift. Try to lift heavy. Lifting tones up the muscles drastically, something that cardio does not. Lift at the max 3 days a week. The machines are fine but do add free weights off and on for lunges, squats, etc. I have just started deadlifts. Ain't lifting very heavy yet but I can see definition in my thighs.. (they never dropped an inch while I religiously did cardio earlier)... And one thing important: Do take lots of protein in your diet. Muscles need it the most.
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    Depending on your body composition, you could also be losing visceral body fat. That's the stuff that surrounds your internal organs. The only way to measure changes in visceral body fat is to have an MRI done (who has the time, am I right? :laugh: ).

Also, 2 inches is a BIG difference in your thighs, congrats and keep going!
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    This is probably a separate topic but what weights do you do? I'm more or less just going around the machines in the gym doing 3 reps of 10-15 of however much I can manage.
    Also, this:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fawnia1.htm

It might be worth it to pay for a single session with one of your gym's personal trainers. They could design a program to get you started.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    oops post, wrong topic
  • electriccdumdum
    electriccdumdum Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You need t do my cardio excercises. Once you do that, the weight will start to go.