Why do you overeat?

Options

Replies

• Mel_roe
    Mel_roe Posts: 7
    Options
    I find that when I don't get enough sleep I tend to be a bit more on the lazy side and feeling a little slugish. I have a tendancy to eat more junk and snacks then, and feel guilty for it later. I also find that when I get a good nights rest, I am more motivated to eat better and exercise more.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Emotional eating, eating to deal with anxiety/depression. When I overeat it's usually when I'm already having a meal, and I just KEEP eating to prolong the happy feelings that distract me from the bad ones.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater.... and it doesn't matter what the emotion is (happy, sad, anxious, frustrated, angry, etc), I have a "go to" food attached to an emotion.

I'm slowly working through this bad habit, but it's hard going....

Same here, plus I eat out of boredom. I think I've broken myself out of 'eat when bored' syndrome by chewing gum.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    I don't...anymore!

Why did I? Depression after tragedy struck my family. I trusted in food...all food, instead of people.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    boredom. avoidance. convenience. tastiness. accidentally undereating on prior days. Intervals. Super hard workouts.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    A food craving is like quicksand. Once you step into it's grasp it can swallow you up every time the brain is stressed, depressed, or starved.
  • Annie_ga
    Annie_ga Posts: 72
    Options
    I eat when I'm tired - and when I eat bad carbs. Bad carbs don't fill me at all and leave a void in me that tells me I'm starving. So I'm upping my protein in-take and multi-grain foods and am so much more satisfied.
  • MDyck1979
    MDyck1979 Posts: 21
    Options
    Honestly? Weed. And maybe TMI, but we're talking every night after work and twice on Sundays. I've learned to just snack smart - grapes, low cal popcorn, diet coke with lime and LOTS of water.

Ohhh, and overcast days have a really bizarre effect on my apetite - SUPER hungry when I don't see the sun...
  • TLMonroe
    TLMonroe Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It is the way I tend to cope with life when it throws me a curve ball. Not the best route...I'll find a new path!
  • tweetybaby69
    tweetybaby69 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Emotional eater here. Happy, sad, celebrating, depressed, I eat. I used to eat an entire bag of Haribo gummy Bears which I think has about 5 or 6 servings in it. It is only lately that I have been able to eat 17 bears and be fine. I realized that whe nI used to eat the whole bag in one sitting, as I was shoveling them into my mouth, I wasn't really tasting them. So now I can actually taste them and the 17 little bears does just fine for me.

I no longer deprive myself of my "go to" items, I just limit them.
  • mrsrobinsonlauraj
    mrsrobinsonlauraj Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just LOVE food...the way it looks, the way it tastes, the way it talks to me... :wink:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Stress or depression, for sure. Well...that USED to be why I over-ate!

The circumstances surrounding my pregnancy and relationship with my son's father (my son is 5 1/2, split up with his dad when he was 1 1/2) were extremely depressing and negative. Not gonna get into specifics, but I was extremely anxious and depressed. I found a lot of comfort in food during my pregnancy and in the couple years following. Then it just kinda snowballed. Even after I got out of that relationship, the stress surrounding being a 23 year old single mom with only a part time job (we're talking like $400 a month tops) was extremely hard to handle, and food was always there for me. It has taken counseling and years of working on myself from the inside to learn that food isn't the answer.

My boyfriend now (we've been together 3 1/2 years) is my biggest supporter, and having him by my side has really helped me. I haven't had an anxiety attack in about a year (used to have them at least once a month) and I haven't felt depression in a couple years at least. Now that I've healed myself from the inside out, I'm able to heal myself from the outside!
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    A food craving is like quicksand. Once you step into it's grasp it can swallow you up every time the brain is stressed, depressed, or starved.
  • sarahdee2007
    sarahdee2007 Posts: 257
    Options
    I love food. If it tastes good, I can eat a ton! Luckily, I am finding I can eat more food for the calories if it is healthier and it can still taste great!
  • ChristinaOlliver
    ChristinaOlliver Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    There is no reason for my over eating other than pure greed. It's not linked to my emotions at all - I don't comfort eat or eat out of boredom. I just eat for the pure sake of it. When I'm at uni, I eat pretty well because I don't have much food in the house. When I'm at home, I will eat practically 24/7 just because my parents have so much food in the house and I want it. I'm working on my will power (or lack thereof) so that when I go home for the summer, I can resist eating everything in sight!
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    <~~~Because I am stupid! Mostly due to emotional eating and Depression and Anger...Other than that, I'm PERFECT!

You and I both!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I usually overeat just because I love food. Boredom can play a role for sure, but plain and simple, I just like to eat.
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    because food is sooooo good.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I took off 70+ pounds over the course of about a year then put 40 back on after my mom died. That didn't really hit me until about a year after, but then it was just a downward spiral. I've taken off almost all that 40 pounds, and I'm read to move on to rest.

So my most recent period of overeating was caused by depression and the stress of settling Mom's estate and all the family issues that brought up.
  • g0tta_lose_it
    Options
    Boredom is such a problem for me! And I don't know why but I'll start snacking and then I can't stop myself... All my willpower just disappears...