Warrior Dash Advice!

Options
I've decided I'm going to do warrior dash Kentucky on June 23rd. That gives me about 7 weeks to train. I'm currently doing C25K and P90X! Does anyone have any other advice for me?! Thanks!

Replies

• chase7512
    chase7512 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Have fun,

Drink lots of water, high carbs night before and high protein/carbs right after.

As for exercise your bang on with C25k and P90X...IMO
  • miniragtop
    miniragtop Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Be ready to have a BLAST! I did the WD last year in TN and I'm already signed up for it again this year. Some of the obstables are tough but unless you want to try to win I wouldn't worry to much about it. For me it's more about the experience of it than it is about the time it takes.
  • jvavra724
    jvavra724 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just did the Warrior Dash at the end of April! It was so fun!! The only advice I would give you is to not worry about finishing the race super fast! I was more fun to just go through the course and have fun with it, not going all out and sprinting from obstacle to obstacle.. And whatever shoes you wear, plan on not keeping them afterwards! Mine were completely useless after going through a river and crawling through a giant mud pit!! But luckily they had a place to donate shoes that you wore during the race and didn't want to keep.. so look for that!! Have fun and enjoy the race! It's so fun!! :)
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I would be comfortable jogging/running a 5K, try some interval HiiT workouts, focus on upper body weight training.

Dress in attire that you can muddy up. Check if you have the water obstacle (swimming). Take your time w/ the obstacles unless you are trying to make a specific time. I didn't I just had fun!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    What about your shoes made them "ruined"? I keep hearing this and running shoes aren't cheap so I'm concerned as to what about the mud or water or whatever ruins them.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it in South Carolina (November). I've just been doing circuit training and walking/running. Should be fun. Keep doing what your doing and I bet you'll do better than alot of the other "Warriors" out there.
  • courtney131
    courtney131 Posts: 69
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Run it for a fun time, not a fast time. Upper body is key on a lot of the obstacles, especially the two walls. They're not horribly hard unless the course is unusually muddy, as ours was; the obstacles get really slick. Bring a change of clothes, more than one towel, and wet wipes--you'll get muddy in places you might not expect. :embarassed:
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Wear dark colored clothing if you want to keep them after the run. The mudd really makes them look dirty even after being washed a few times. Like the other poster said make sure you don't want your shoes after the run.

Other than that make sure you can run 3 miles and be ready to have fun. I finished last year in 47 min. I had a lot of bumps and bruises when I was done but all in all it was a great experience. I do it again this year in Sept.
  • skyle954
    skyle954 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    lots of push up and pull ups. Carb up the night before and right after. I have done the Spartan race in Florida 2 years in a row and am already signed up for next years. My hardest part was the 10 foot wall. Have fun and just enjoy it. You'll have a blast!

Good Luck! :happy:
  • Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Options
    I have my first WD coming the 19th of this month and these suggestions are great! As everyone says, have FUN :drinker:
  • Brittonloves
    Options
    I'm doing it in South Carolina (November). I've just been doing circuit training and walking/running. Should be fun. Keep doing what your doing and I bet you'll do better than alot of the other "Warriors" out there.

Me too me too! I'm getting in shape for Warrior Dash in Gaston! It's going to be my first ever race, and I'm super excited. Right now my trainer is just trying to help me get my BF% down, and as we continue she's working with me on upper body strength and endurance (among everything else, really). But yeah, WD in SC is my big goal & the reason I've started making so many changes. How cool. :)
  • Dynamofan
    Dynamofan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've done it twice, I really enjoyed it ... I would suggest good interval training, and I really like the Insanity plymetrics workout, I think that is a great one to prepare with. Definitely jog on other days, working your way close to 3 miles if possible.

But yeah, Insanity plyometrics will help a lot.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Me too me too! I'm getting in shape for Warrior Dash in Gaston!

Yep, thats the one I'm doing too. Good Luck and if you see me dont be afraid to say Hello. (I'm really tall and hard to miss)
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    run hills, run grass, climb neighbors cars, climb ANYTHING really... jump, GET DIRTY!

It's super fun! Giant party! HAVE FUN!

Did it last year at 275lbs and had a BLAST! Doing it again this year as well =)
  • Alycra
    Alycra Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I just ran this yesterday here in KC.

It is a blast. If it is your first time running something like this... run for fun. After you have done it then if you want to do hard core training for it, then do that.

Simple things is get used to running, but even if you don't run the whole thing, there are a ton of people who walk during portions of it. And this is probably more for women, but do a little bit of working on upper body strength. Men seem to naturally have *sigh*, but there are a couple walls and such that upper body strength makes much easier.

This is most important... wear clothes that you are okay being torn and dirty for the rest of their life. It is an obstacle course.