Scared to Maintain...?

Options
I've reached my goal weight, and I just updated my goals and settings on here. To maintain it says I should up my calorie intake from 1480 to 1700, and that makes me really nervous, thinking I'm gonna put weight back on? Help!

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    As long as you eat maintenance, you will be fine.

Don't be discouraged if you go up in weight a little after switching to maintenance, water fluctuations are common when changing up your diet. Look at it as a range (+3-5lbs) rather than just 1 number (your ultimate goal weight).

Good luck! :)
  • TheLittleVoice91
    Options
    If you up your calorie intake slowly it will be fine! Add in treats and carbs or whatever you've been cutting out slowly and gradually. And make sure you exercise, but not excessively. Well done for reaching your goal!!
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Agreed with above posters! I was also scared to switch to maintenance, but I added back calories a little at a time and I have been maintaining for months, now! Don't be scurred, give it a try :).
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    So ramp it up slowly, a couple of pounds in either direction won't hurt. Bring it up to 1600 for a week or two, then 1700. If you overshot, go to 1800 calories a day and very very gradually bring it up.

The whole idea is to learn to control your weight, so if you can show yourself that you can slow your weight loss then stop it and even increase it in a controlled fashion, you'll build a lot more confidence in your control.
  • intothepavement
    intothepavement Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I know this is gonna sound dumb, but I only needed to lose 5 pounds, so a couple pounds either way makes a difference to me :)
    (I'm 5'4" and 120)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Increase your intake minimally. Start with 50 calories daily, next week 100 calories daily, etc..

I'm small and I eat 1800 a day, so it can be done. You just need to do it slowly.
  • intothepavement
    intothepavement Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking how often do you hit the gym? 1800 seems like a lot to me..