What is a good base for a veggie shake?

Options
Krissi72
Krissi72 Posts: 44 Member
I LOVE fruit shakes with yogurt as the base and, of course, a scoop of protein powder (chocolate or vanilla) with 2 oz of orange juice. What I want to do now is have a fruit shake in the morning , a normal lunch, and a veggie shake for supper. I don't think I'd enjoy yogurt as the base for the veggie shake...does anyone have an idea (besides Greek yogurt) for a good base to a veggie shake. Also, a protein powder that is flavorless or that can compliment the veggies nicely. Any advice would be super helpful! Thanks! :)

Replies

• frostman7
    frostman7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is a good base for a veggie shake. Two cups of high quality ice cream and one ounce of veggie! I know, I know, I'm not funny. My wife tells me that all the time.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Most veggie smoothie recipes I've seen also involve fruit, and it seems like the fruit IS the base.
  • TanyaGirl76
    TanyaGirl76 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Avocado or Kefir
  • sdickman
    sdickman Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use soy or almond milk (unsweetened) without a protein powder. Or, coconut water or plain water with a protein powder. I can use a vanilla protein with veggie and the taste doesn't bother me like it does with the chocolate.
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk, ice, Greek yogurt, spinach/broccoli, protein powder, and fruit. So I guess almond milk and yogurt is the base for mine?
  • audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 169
    Options
    I guess it really depends on the veggies you're choosing. I always do about 4 cups of spinach(can't taste at all!) then whatever base I do for the average fruit smoothie. If you google you'll find a CRAZY amount of veggie smoothies with so many options. Some use yogurts and fruits or others stick to the green stuff and have bases like tomato juice and cucumbers. It's whatever you're in the mood for. Experimenting is always fun!
  • Krissi72
    Krissi72 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas folks! I'll give your advice a try and see what Iike! Kep up the good work everyone! :)
  • kimboyle92
    kimboyle92 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use V-8 fusions with activa yogurt and a scoop of whey - vanilla . yummy