Belly fat/skin Question! Help...

Options
Okay, I know you can't spot reduce...so I really dont need a ton of posts saying that. I get it. But my question is this: I have 4 kids (oldest will be 6 next month and youngest is 7 months), and didnt have the belly fat/skin until after my 3rd. I really notice a difference now that I have lost a lot of weight, but am wondering if its skin or fat, will strength training help after a certain time period? Its not *bad* When I am standing you can see a little bit in my lower belly. If I lean back and tighten, for example, you can hardly see anything. Here is my history:

27 years old
Started before kids at 150 (5ft 6)
Current weight is 140, which was always my goal
Moved goal to 135
Run or do elliptical daily
Small hand weight and crunches, but definitely not consistantly like I should
I drink a ton of water, use lotions, and also eat fairly clean.

After my 10K on the 19th, I am going to be dropping a few running days and incorporating P90X. I love running, so I wont give it up completely, but I am hoping the strengh training with help with the belly and inner thighs. I am at my original goal, and if I dont lose more weight, I will be fine with that...but just curious if whats on my stomach and inner thighs will always be there or if it will take a good year or so to tighten up. I heard it can take two years...and dont want to get my hopes up...but wondering if anyone else has success stories?? THANKS!

Replies

• RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    Options
    :smile:
  • mommy7
    mommy7 Posts: 153
    Options
    I've had 7 kids. You can see some damage, but, honestly, I'm not remotely concerned with it.

My advice- ditch the small hand weights and lift. I've heard it'll help the skin tighten up. I'm working on just lifting, and if it helps the belly area, it helps.
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've had 7 kids. You can see some damage, but, honestly, I'm not remotely concerned with it.

My advice- ditch the small hand weights and lift. I've heard it'll help the skin tighten up. I'm working on just lifting, and if it helps the belly area, it helps.

What kinds of exercises, lifting-wise, are you doing to tone the midsection? I lift heavy, heavy but most target lower body, back, or upper body & shoulders. And then of course I do crunches and planks but I don't do any lifting for my midsection.
  • whayamean
    whayamean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That's what I've read as well. If you're working your muscles push your muscles so you feel it. Supposedly they say if you work the larger muscles you'll burn belly fat (aka fat all over). As far as skin goes, after getting pregnant when i already weighed 350 adn then losing 150 lbs I've got lots of extra. People SWEAR that it will tighten up but I'm starting to believe there is such a thing as stretching it too far :laugh:
  • RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    Options
    Thanks!

I definitely know that I need to do more heavy lifting...I am so into my running and cardio right now because of my first 10K that I have coming up. But my start date for P90X is May 21st. So I will be doing that and heavier weights.

I heard somewhere that it could take up to two years for skin to go back to normal, and then I hear once its stretched, you are skrewed! LOL

I dont have a lot, so I am hoping it will go away eventually...with a lot of hard work of course!
  • bray2160
    bray2160 Posts: 12
    Options
    Personally, I like P90X more than any other weight loss product because it's convenient. I can use it at my leisure and it's probably one of the only programs that I've actually seen work. I know people who are currently on the system and have lost tons of weight. Their bodies are more defined as well.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

What kinds of exercises, lifting-wise, are you doing to tone the midsection? I lift heavy, heavy but most target lower body, back, or upper body & shoulders. And then of course I do crunches and planks but I don't do any lifting for my midsection.

Deadlifts, Squats etc all use your 'core' muscles to stabilise your lifts. If you are lifting heavy (not using a machine) you will be using your core.