Soooo...now what? (reaching goals)

Options
mollydubs
mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
I'm a little lost here. To those of you who have reached your goal or surpassed it, what's your goal now? Can a girl get some ideas from yall?

Here's some background on me...

I'm 5'3, female, vegetarian, I run 30-45 minutes at an avg of 8:18-8:30/mi 2-3 times a week, do those fun NIke Training Camp workouts 1-2 days a week, and walk pretty much everywhere.

I used a handheld body fat analyzer at my gym last night and scored 16%. So that's cool and I'm impressed with myself and all but it got me thinking...What do I do with that? What's next? Even the trainer who set up the device for me asked me why I was running last night and if I was trying to weigh even less. (I'm not. I was stressed. Running is pretty much medicine!) But what he said definitely made an impression on me...I'm not sure what my next direction should be.

Advice? Pleeease?

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Well, what are your goals?

Once you're done losing weight (which it sounds like you are), what do you WANT to do next?

Increase strength? Run a marathon? Reduce body fat?

So many ways you can go here. I am at my optimal weight, and I just work on maintaining and building strength. I lift 4 times a week and do HIIT training (for my cardio health) 2x a week at 20 minutes a pop. FOR THE MOST PART.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Set new goals.

I reached my goal weight last week. Now I have a goal body fat %.
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Don't think weight loss now...think "I want the best, healthiest, most toned body I can get!!!" Start lifting weights (to tone) or work on a TRX! I reached my goal weight and have been really working getting toned and at 48 I'm in the best shape of my life! Enjoy not having to "lose" weight and really work it now!!! Enjoy!!
  • mollydubs
    Options
    So I know I need to set a new goal, the problem is I'm having a hard time thinking of anything to work towards. I mostly was asking for examples of what other people like myself are working towards, I think.

(thanks colofit! you posted after I started this post... just googled trx - looks kinda great.)
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My goal is to enjoy the new me, to enjoy running, to enjoy looking and feeling better. My goal is to maintain and I think that is where most people, myself included, continue to fail. Nothing says that you have to make another goal enjoy what you have achieved.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Instead of working towards a goal weight, which you've already reached, how about a goal for body fat %?

Or perhaps an exercise-related goal (run 5 miles non-stop or in a certain amount of time, or lift a certain amount of weight)?
  • MonkeyFlower
    MonkeyFlower Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    if your 16% BF thats already super impressive and if you have reached your goal weight i would go the way some others have suggested and have some fitness goals to keep you motivated. You said you love running so maybe a 1/2 marathon or a tri...or challenge yourself with something new...aim to become a black belt in karate...or learn to abseil! Anything you can think of....what an awesome place to be in where you are where you want to to be and just dreaming up your next challenge!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Instead of working towards a goal weight, which you've already reached, how about a goal for body fat %?

Or perhaps an exercise-related goal (run 5 miles non-stop or in a certain amount of time, or lift a certain amount of weight)?

I think her bf % is quite low enough!

But I agree with exercise related goals.... like lifting heavy!
    Or just adventure related goals...like ROCK CLIMB THE GRAND CANYON!!! (<-- yep, that's on my to-do list).

Or perhaps help others and just stay at the level of awesome you are at...like...for life!

[for the record, i've lost 50 lbs to reach my current weight. my own goals are now bf% related, ab related- i wanna see that 6 pack i know is in there somewhere!- And strength related! Doing chin ups and heavy lifting is Uh-MAZE-ZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIINNNNGGG!!!!)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I would say you've got to look into some awesome fitness goals. Things like, a certain number of pull ups, running races, obstacle course races, playing on an adult soccer league. Something that would be really fun that you can only do now that you are so fit :) Congrats on getting to your goal!
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    I'm training for the Warrior Dash in September. Also, next year, I want to be strong enough to rock climb. And my ultimate of all ultimate goals is to be able to join a Cross Fit Gym. :smile:
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    When I joined MFP I was already at my goal weight, more or less. I just joined to help my family log and support others.

As far as goals, well I just ran a marathon a couple months ago, I'm going to do my second Warrior Dash this month, and trying to set a PR in a half-marathon a week after that.

My advice to you is to challenge yourself!! There are always more goals to reach, do something you'd never thought you'd do and you'll reap great rewards ;)
  • Todzilla7
    Todzilla7 Posts: 24
    Options
    If you're happy with your current body composition, then your goal is to maintain the eating and exercise habits that maintain that body composition. Keep tracking... Keep monitoring.... If you want it to last, this is a lifestyle, not a diet...
  • volleypc
    volleypc Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    How about a faster pace. Start running 5ks and you will want to get to sub 8 min miles. Then 7:30, etc. Do you bike or swim? I recently got back into triathlons and love it because I am not doing the same thing everyday. I enjoy mixing it up.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Insanity or P90X. Forgot about them!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on reaching your goal!! 16% BF is right in the middle of the "athletic" range for women so that is perfect!

I agree with the fitness goal suggestion. Try some new exercise classes/programs, either in your home or at you gym - crossfit, TRX, P90X, Insanity, etc etc. Find one you like and work on becoming an expert at it. Then move on to the next one and keep going. And/or since you like running, sign up for local races and work on your speed/endurance.
  • sullymanjohn
    sullymanjohn Posts: 101
    Options
    Like someone mentioned above, now that you're obviously in fantastic shape, why not master a sport? Rock climbing, hiking, martial arts (being kind of small like that Aikido would be lots of fun for you!), or maybe since you've done so well reaching your goals take up personal training in your spare time and help everyone else!
  • mollydubs
    Options
    Trying a sport would be interesting...I rode horses competitively for about 15 years but have never really done more typical sports because my eye-hand coordination is laughable. But tennis seems fun...you have a bigger target to use to hit the ball ;)

Thanks for some great suggestions everyone!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Well, since your into running, I'd go with the next goal being endurance. How far and how hard can you go?
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    When you reach your goals, you just make new ones. There is ALWAYS room for more improvement. Once I reach my goals in weights then I will just increase them. Same with muscle building. After this bulk, I will cut and probably go on another bulk not too long after to add even more muscle.

You could make a goal of improving your time, endurance, or adding some new types of workouts into your routine.
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Congrats, girl!

I've been arbitrarily creating fitness challenges - fun things unrelated to weight.

On my To Do List:
    1. Run a 7 minute mile.
    2. Do a chinup, then a pullup.
    3. Take an aerials class.
    4. Complete a triathlon.
    5. Take a swimming class (I want to learn kayaking, but I'm scared.)
    6. Complete the New Rules of Lifting program.

On my Done List:
    1. Run a half-marathon.
    2. Take a rock climbing class.
    3. Hold a chaturanga (a sorta pushup/planky yoga pose)