Best strenght training for beginners NO GYM Help

Options
sandown12
sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
Hi I do Cardio exercises 5-6 times a week I need to start Strenght training maybe get dumbells and a wii game or DVD can anyone recommend anything for a complete beginner?

Replies

• Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Try Bodyrocktv.com
    They have these 15 minute workouts that are awesome. I started seeing results in a week. I look more toned now and parts of my body don't jiggle anymore! Also, they started their May 30 day challenge yesterday and they have different workouts for beginners which is great because IMO, the normal workouts are extremely hard and discouraging for beginners. I know I gave up twice before I made my husband start doing it with me for company! All their exercises can be done at home with no gym equipment needed. That is the best part.
  • sandown12
    Options
    Thanyou :) I cant do alot of up down exercises as I have bad motion sickness I wil have a look on there x
  • alipeck
    alipeck Posts: 3
    Options
    Kettle bells are great for kettle bell swings, sumo deadlift high pull, ab excersizes, etc. I'd recommend 25 for an all purpose weight, but in crossfit, 35 is usually the RX weight for women. I think 35 gets pretty tiring.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Marklauren.com
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Look into a program called "starting strength" it's a free website. Great place to start and most things are dumbbell based which is nice.
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    paying attention to this thread because i have the same question.
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Try Bodyrocktv.com
    They have these 15 minute workouts that are awesome. I started seeing results in a week. I look more toned now and parts of my body don't jiggle anymore! Also, they started their May 30 day challenge yesterday and they have different workouts for beginners which is great because IMO, the normal workouts are extremely hard and discouraging for beginners. I know I gave up twice before I made my husband start doing it with me for company! All their exercises can be done at home with no gym equipment needed. That is the best part.

http://www.bodyrock.tv/2012/04/30/may-30-day-challenge-sexy-by-summer-day-1-start-here/
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Look into a program called "starting strength" it's a free website. Great place to start and most things are dumbbell based which is nice.

Starting Strength is a barbell based program. Some of the lifts can be substituted with dumbbells, but it wasn't written with them in mind.
  • Raiderxx
    Raiderxx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    STRONGLIFTS 5x5! <----Highly recommend this program!
  • RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    Options
    bump
  • braga1992
    braga1992 Posts: 23
    Options
    P90X.
  • jatiger83
    jatiger83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest Bodyrocktv.com as well. I haven't tried their workouts yet bc I just discovered them this week on FB...the workouts look intense!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Get 30 Day Shred DVD by Jillian Michaels. It incorporates strength/cardio/abs and it is done in 20 minutes.
  • BeccaB1981
    BeccaB1981 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Hi I do Cardio exercises 5-6 times a week I need to start Strenght training maybe get dumbells and a wii game or DVD can anyone recommend anything for a complete beginner?

Supreme 90 Day. 10 dvd muscle confusion program for $19.99. You can find the program at Walgreens, Walmart, Target, The Dollar General Store, Bed Bath and Beyond ($9.99), this is how much it costs at our Bed Bath and Beyond. You might find it for cheaper than $9.99. Some people have found on sale at stores for $5.00.

You can preview the workouts on Collagevideo.com. You don't have to do the program as a program. You can just incorporate the workouts into your workout routine. I have done the program as a program. It was the first program that I have ever done. Some of the exercisers go fast. Don't try to keep up with them. Go at your own pace. You will need dumbbells and a stability ball. Check Walmart for a cheap stability ball. I have bought my Gold Gym ball for $8.99 plus tax.
  • sandown12
    Options
    Thanks guys I will research :)
  • amazing_shrinking_woman
    Options
    bump
  • ATK57
    ATK57 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'd say those door-frame pull up bars are super helpful. Chins/pull-ups are compound exercises and engage many muscles. Just attempting a few chin-ups a day will eventually help you to do a full one rep, then after one rep you'll get to two reps, and so on.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Also recommend 30 Day Shred if you are looking for high intensity, quick and very little $$. $7 on line and a small set of hand weights.