Anyone done Chi Running?

If you have, please give me some feedback? Looked up a few things and am wondering will it help me run longer/better/faster in the end?

Thanks!

Replies

• DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    It's worth a read/listen...whether or not it will help you run faster...maybe. It's all about his definition of proper running form and cadence. Obviously it you have a faster cadence you will likely be a more efficient faster runner and thus be able to cover distances faster with more endurance.

I wouldn't expect any significant quick advances from it. My advice would be to pair good form with speed work if you are wanting to step up your running game. Good luck!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I took a chi running class and it was very interesting.

Something worth looking into.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    I came across it a few weeks ago looking into some pains I was getting after I ran...

Read a lot and watched a bunch of videos on youtube. It was hard to just pick up and do, because you really have to concentrate on the cadence, stride length, etc.

After a few runs it became easier to run, the pains are less and I am wearing out a new part of my running shoes (I was a bad heel striker, now a midsole runner)

My thoughts- it will improve your comfort if you are a heel striker, it will improve your form and efficiency (I run the same speeds, but am not out of breath like I used to be)

No improvement on time noticed yet... Speed comes from building/coordinating muscle reaction and anerobic conditioning (speed work/drills), but this does allow me to work harder on it, as I am not wasting a lot of energy smashing my heels in the ground!

Bottom line- give it a try! It doesn't hurt and is pretty easy to learn...
  • jessicafk11
    jessicafk11 Posts: 44 Member
    I have the book but have not read all of it. I started incorporating it into my running and I think it is making a difference for me . . . but it is still early yet. You might be able to find the book at the library if you want to check it out.
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 402 Member
    Thank you!!

Biggest reason for me to try this is because of my sore knee. Heard it's better for it as less impact somehow. Really need to read up on it a lot more. Great to hear positive replies!

Will try the library and see would they have it.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I've read the book. Found it a decent read. I think i incorporate many of the principles in my stride. It felt fairly natural to me without thinking much.
  • I was thinking about taking a class in it when they are in the area. I've been struggling with Plantar Fascitis since november, and after seeing a sports medicine doctor, I am on no running or other standing exercises until I have no pain in my daily life. I keep thinking short term loss for long term gain. I can't wait to start running again. My body responds really well to running to losing weight. I've been struggling lately.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    I just saw the basics on a video... http://youtu.be/_UYkAB18wgs ... and I think that I naturally run this way!
  • cybershaz
    cybershaz Posts: 21 Member
    I highly recommend it. I have read the book and taken a class and it's made running so much easier for me. I've been able to notice a difference in time / effort on runs when I'm focusing on form vs. when I'm not. My husband was a heel striker with really bad shins. After he came to the session with me he never had pain again - it was literally overnight for him (I know that sounds crazy).

I really believe in this approach and it is great if you're considering minimalist running too.

I'm a relatively new runner (2 years) but have had pretty good results quickly, and I think some of that is due to Chi.

My 2 cents! :)