Heel Pain

Options
For the last six months or so, my exercise is doing five hours of Zumba each week. I just started doing Crossfit two mornings a week as well. I have only been two times. A couple of days after my first time, I started experiencing some pain on the bottom of my foot on the heel. I am guessing from overuse since I have been pushing myself more in Zumba and had that Crossfit class. I purchased new workout shoes about a month ago so it isn't poor shoe support. It is just a constant pain. When I am wearing supportive shoes, I don't feel it as much, but when I am barefoot, I do.

I purchased some sole supports for my shoes and I have been stretching it out. I will probably buy an ice pack today and ice it as well. The pain started on Tuesday. It seems to be getting a little better. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I want to continue my workouts but do not want to cause further damage. Thanks!

Replies

• runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have THE SAME THING!!! I run everyday ... at least 5 -6 miles AND do the gym (basically two workouts a day mon-fri) .. I started P90X about a week ago and on Monday I was running on the treadmill and the bottom of my foot has been killing me ... like a bruise of some sort ... Ive been soaking it and putting icy-hot on it, It's kinda getting better :/
  • mandie0378
    mandie0378 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I would definitely go see your doctor. Your feet have a lot of work to do and you should take care of them.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Google Plantar Fasciitis. That what the pain you are describing feels like.
  • aliciafay72
    Options
    u have heal spurs... see a podiatrist (foot dr) and they can assist u in ur heal pains....u can also soak ur feet in epsom salt to relieive some of the pain... i have heal spurs also....
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    on tuesday i was told that i have achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis, so they have put me in a boot cast thing for about 6 weeks and i am to do physical therapy as well, all to avoid a surgery.

please have yourself checked out with the doctor.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options

Ugh...Exrcutiating!!
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

Yep, what Scottb81 said....very painful. Do morning stretches, ice your foot in the evening. Not a lot the doctor can do for you except recommend exercises and icing. And inserts in your shoes helps too.
  • sailorsiren13
    sailorsiren13 Posts: 460
    Options
    google trigger point therapy the gentleman at my local running store just introduce me to it and it helps with just this issue
  • luvmy3girlies
    luvmy3girlies Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Plantar Fasciitis - could be this condition, I have it and have had 2 cortisone shots in my heel (not fun) - still not 100% but have had more success in the stretching exercises versus the shots. I also always wear arch supports now, my doc said I need to keep that band stretched out and limber or the pain will continue. Good luck.
  • slsmoot123
    slsmoot123 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have this, trust me it sucks! You need Rest, Ice, IB Profen or Motrin. More importantly, youll need to make sure you've got arch support in all your shoes. Especially any flat shoes you wear. Are you flat footed? Also if you run be careful that you are not striking the ground with your heel, your foot should land flat on the ground.
  • stephensmith0929
    Options
    You be gellen???
  • faylenechung
    faylenechung Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing. Went to the food doctor and he gave me stretches to do and told me no impact workouts until it heals. I also have to ice it every night. He said it was Plantar Fasciitis. They can also give you shots to help fix it. I have been riding bikes, swimming and doing yoga instead of my regular work outs. I hope you feel better soon.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options

Good inserts did the trick for me in dealing with pf. I thpught that I had a bruised heel or something but was quickly diagnosed with pf. I could not afford the custom made insets but bought Dean Karnazes ones from Sole and they took care of it for me. It doesn't seem like the inserts give support in the right place but they work, so I'm happy. I now run and cycle six days a week with no problems. I had to have cordisone to get past the intial pain but the inserts have kept me healthy since then.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I have achilles tendon problems - it is not pretty. YOu for sure need to see a podiatrist to get it looked at because if you over do something you can jack something up permanently. I am laid up for 4-6 weeks for over doing it. So walking, rest and ice are all I can do at the moment.

Good luck!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Might not be your shoes but it was for me. I have had that and mine was just bad sole cushioning from my work boot. I walk hard on my heels and I think thats why my heel was tender and sore right at the bottom and it hurt to walk on it.

I bought Dr. Scholl's Massaging Gel Heel Cup and some white flat cushions and then I never got again.
    _dtXkYF1erB5k2xgvdd0g-nU224621OwXYUpilUP1VODEoTOl7xVrs8cj9c6P6Zt2nmXhHGQB50EFRPem488LPublOLIyDlT9ptNTklVI0qTHUqMOfy0fC8oMrtQEuYsMs67sMRjo3ULDULqdC-sWqAvV9hyR24
  • aubsandkenny
    Options
    Thanks for all your input, I really appreciate it! I just set up an appointment with a podatrist office for next Wednesday. I spoke to the nurse there and she recommended the following:

-ice it twice a day for thirty minutes, put a towel between the ice and your foot
    -take ibuprofen to decrease the inflammation
    -do stretches, where you put your toes on the wall
    -also make a cold water bottle and roll your foot on it, also do this with a baseball or golf ball
    - rest (she banned me from exercising for the weekend which will be really hard!!!)
  • tlynnclemmons
    tlynnclemmons Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Ugh...Exrcutiating!!

yep -sounds like this to me. it's not something to mess around with. I have this in both feet & let it go for a long time with doing nothing about it - by the time i went to the foot dr I had to get steroid shots in both heels and was "double booted" for 9 weeks on left foot & 11 weeks on the right foot. I still get it from time to time but not near as bad as I used to.
  • myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have this also.... I have found the more I stretch my foot, the better it helps. And I also bought some Under Armor tennis shoes with a high arch and that helps also. You can also get this device that stretches your foot while you sleep, that helps alot too

http://www.healthandbodystore.com/plantar-fasciitis-splint-jobar-international-jb5713.html?productid=plantar-fasciitis-splint-jobar-international-jb5713&channelid=FROOG&gclid=CKHTw66D5a8CFQjf4AodumVg0A

I hope that helps you some
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    on tuesday i was told that i have achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis, so they have put me in a boot cast thing for about 6 weeks and i am to do physical therapy as well, all to avoid a surgery.

please have yourself checked out with the doctor.
    These two sound like what you may have. Unfortunately in almost all cases it chronic. Once you get it, it will be there forever. Even if you totally rested it up and did nothing, the first time you do some to aggravate it, it can return.
    Try to find exercises or exercising that doesn't aggravate it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition