I HATE exercise

Options
And always have. I dreaded gym class and sweating.
For me, getting on the treadmill not only sucks, but it becomes an entire process (30 mins work out, 20 min shower, another 40 to make my hair not an afro) Also, I've found that if I do it at night, I cannot sleep, so it would have to happen BEFORE I go to work, (so getting up at 4 am every day)
I am always sore after work. Its not unusual to not get a chance to sit down in an 8 hour shift. Plus I am constantly lifting, restraining, or walking dogs that weigh anywhere from 2 lbs to 150 lbs. It just depends on the day. Anyway I can just call this my exercise?
I like to hike. I like to boulder. I like being outside. However, when I do these things, its usually an all day, social event, not a reliable work out routine

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    All I can say then is that you have to hate being overweight more than you hate exercise so that you'll do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Since you like being outdoors can't you skip the treadmill and walk or run outside instead? I have the same problem with workouts too late in the evening but if I finish by 7 or 8 I am okay.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Exercise comes in many forms and don't all require a sweaty gym or running a marathon. Sounds like you get a pretty good workout at work, if you want to do something outside of that find something you will enjoy; whether it's going for a walk, a bike ride, a swim, tossing a Frisbee around with friends......it's all up to you.
  • etavi
    etavi Posts: 85
    Options
    I don't see why I can't just restrict calories. It's not like I spend every day lazing around.
    I'm totally ok with never having to run a marathon. Chances are I can lift A LOT more than most females =)
  • etavi
    etavi Posts: 85
    Options
    Oh, and I go to metal shows fairly frequently. Mosh pits = best work out ever.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    You could pretty much be describing me before Vet school when i was teching. I hated exercise. I was definitely the last person picked in gym class whenever I couldn't come up with an excuse to ditch. You can certainly set yourself as more than sedentary since working a clinc/ hospital/ shelter/ kennel is definitely a physical job. I

would say, though, that you might look and feel better if you workout. My advice is to ditch the treadmill. I hate them too. Go for a walk around your house in the morning instead if you want to do some cardio, and start doing some kind of strength training 2-3 times per week. I know that I saw better results that way, and I like strength training way more than cardio. Not only is it more fun (for me), it' also got me better results as far as appearance. Good luck!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    check out this girls blog. all about how she lost weight watching what she eats, and walking every where. http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I don't see why I can't just restrict calories. It's not like I spend every day lazing around.
    I'm totally ok with never having to run a marathon. Chances are I can lift A LOT more than most females =)

There have been lots of people who have successfully lost weight through calories restriction alone and it sounds like you're certainly not sedentary at work.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options

You can just restrict calories. There, easy!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    You DON'T have to exercise to lose weight. Just don't expect to have a body that looks "firm" if decide not to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

You can. No one is going to force you to work out. You can still lose weight by eating less calories than you burn, but if you exercise, you can eat more, plain and simple.
  • Elohvey
    Elohvey Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Your job sounds like it's very active. I believe that there is even a set in workout on here labeled walking while carrying an infant that's 15lbs .... something like that, I have seen some other mfp's use it. The lifting is strength training that's for sure. And if you spend a lot of time walking, well that's light cardio. Maybe once during the weekend you can do something like the treadmill to add a boost to the calories you burn.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    you don't really need to do cardio. If you like lifting then lift weights. Lift heavy and modest calorie deficit then there you go.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I have a super physical job too..I asked my dr/dietician if that counts toward my physical activity and he said that 'no, it does not'...so I pressed him for the reason.

His reply was that if you do an extremely physical job everyday, your body sees this as the norm, and starts to get used to that level of activity...when you start wanting to add exercise, you need to up it..because your body is already used to what you do.

That sucks, I sometimes do over 12k in steps and unload pallets. I don't WANT to do more!
  • MoganHorse
    MoganHorse Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    IK! I lift three times a week. I squat 185, I bench 140, and hang cleans are at 160! Shouldn't that be enough? No. In fact, pssibly this happens to you, my thighs and booty get bigger. Harder, but bigger. I hate running, and while I do Jillian Micheal's "Shred" and "Ripped" videos with my mom at night I can't say I look forward to them. I do ride horses everyday though, which I loooooovvve, and that burns a TON of calories. I realize that's not an option for everyone, but find somethig you love to do! Like me and my friends dance just to dance, and I'm sure you know that's quite a workout! Even just grabbing a hairbrush and dancing around the house can work up a sweat! It's about having fun, not boring yourself to tears on the treadmill!
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    For me, getting on the treadmill not only sucks, but it becomes an entire process (30 mins work out, 20 min shower, another 40 to make my hair not an afro) Also, I've found that if I do it at night, I cannot sleep, so it would have to happen BEFORE I go to work, (so getting up at 4 am every day)
    I am always sore after work. Its not unusual to not get a chance to sit down in an 8 hour shift. Plus I am constantly lifting, restraining, or walking dogs that weigh anywhere from 2 lbs to 150 lbs. It just depends on the day. Anyway I can just call this my exercise?
    I like to hike. I like to boulder. I like being outside. However, when I do these things, its usually an all day, social event, not a reliable work out routine

If walking dogs is your job, I would definitely count that as exercise!!! It's definitely burning calories... I love the gym, but like you don't get off work until too late to be able to sleep, and don't always get up early enough to get out there. DO you have a Wii? The Zumba for the Wii is a TON of fun, and a really good workout, too. You might want to try that. I've been doing mine for quite some time now and have dropped 50lbs since the first of the year. But I would recommend adding in some sort of resistance training, whether it be resistance bands, weights, whatever... OF course I think pulling on the dogs, gives PLENTY of resistance, too!!! :wink: :happy:
  • tlynnclemmons
    tlynnclemmons Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I hate it too - but for different reasons - I have a pretty severe type of arthritis in my lower back & hip joints that makes any type of movement painful. If it were up to me when i get home everyday I would just crash in my recliner and not move but once I sit down I'm done for the day so i just force myself to move around more and more. I like swimming too so maybe try some of that. it's a heck of a workout without feeling like one! good luck - you'll find what works for you and then you'll stick with it.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight--it's your body, so just do what you want to do. If it took me 60 min to shower and fix my hair, I probably wouldn't like it either. I love weight training, so it's hard for me to empathize, but you can lose weight with just your active lifestyle and a caloric deficit--problem solved.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

Ive lost 40+ pounds by diet alone. It can be done, but know that you lose muscle mass in the process, as well.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Yep. I hated exercise, too...until I was ready to commit myself to doing it. This necessitated a complete change in my attitude which took awhile. In fact, it took YEARS.