A Protein Question

Options
JJAE53
JJAE53 Posts: 97 Member
I know that there has been a previous post about going over on protein counts, but I'm still not sure what I need to do. Without exercise, MFP recommends 45 g per day for me. I eat whole grain breads and pastas (5-8g), edamame or soy beans (8g), and I drink milk or eat yogurt (7-8g). By the time I add in the protein from fruit and vegetables (1-4g), I'm almost to my limit. Then add in an ounce or 2, sometimes 3 of a meat a couple times, and I'm over by 20 to 30 g.

When I exercise ( and I try to every day), I do get more protein (as I should to help build muscle). But even on those days, I often go over a little.

My question--What is the long term affect of going over on protein? If it is a serious problem, what should I cut and then add to help me reach my goals in other nutrients?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• JJAE53
    Options
    I know that there has been a previous post about going over on protein counts, but I'm still not sure what I need to do. Without exercise, MFP recommends 45 g per day for me. I eat whole grain breads and pastas (5-8g), edamame or soy beans (8g), and I drink milk or eat yogurt (7-8g). By the time I add in the protein from fruit and vegetables (1-4g), I'm almost to my limit. Then add in an ounce or 2, sometimes 3 of a meat a couple times, and I'm over by 20 to 30 g.

When I exercise ( and I try to every day), I do get more protein (as I should to help build muscle). But even on those days, I often go over a little.

My question--What is the long term affect of going over on protein? If it is a serious problem, what should I cut and then add to help me reach my goals in other nutrients?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    too much protein is rough on the kidneys in the long term, but too much is a relative term,
    this site tends to be pretty low on protein allotment:
    see the following article:
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm

I usually stick to a 50/25/25 ratio

which is to say 50% of my calories comes from Carbs, 25% comes from fat and 25% comes from protein. But I work out 7 days a week and that takes a bit more protein so 25% may not be necessary for you.

the easiest way to figure out what the percentage should be is go to your food tab.
    add up your goal amounts of carbs fat and protein, then multiply the total by (your percentage)
    I.E. say you wanted a 60/18/22 ratio of carb/fat/protein. You would do this:
    (this is all random numbers I pulled out of the air)
    the site says you have a total of 500 (carbs/fat/protein all added together) based on your current calories alotted.
    so you take the 500 and multiply by .6 to get your carbs : 300 carbs/day (grams)
    so you take the 500 and multiply by .18 to get your fat: 90 fat/day (grams)
    so you take the 500 and multiply by .22 to get your protein: 110 protein/day (grams)
    and you can make this your goal stuff by re-doing your goals and choosing the custom option, it will allow you to put in your own nutritional requirements.

This site give somewhere like 66/16/18 for carb/fat/protein percent
    that is a little off for me. 20% to 25% protein is a reasonable amount for someone who is doing normal cardio workouts 3 to 4 times a week. so a ratio of 60/18/22 would be something that I would consider reasonable.
  • JJAE53
    Options
    Thank you so much, Banks! You always explain things so well. I teach algebra and trig to high school students, so the math isn't scary. In fact, it's a big help to me.
  • banks1850
    Options
    cool, lol, if I had known, I would have skipped the examples, since you probably got it without them. :laugh:
  • JJAE53
    Options
    No! Don't do that! It's those examples that make it so clear for me. Removes all question about what you mean. Most people aren't as thorough, and I sometimes have to figure out what they mean by what they say. I have a very logical, analytical mind, but I'm not a "brainiac". lol
  • StephanieMcCully
    Options
    I can logically see that (protein count) for a man who works out 7 days a week, but a stay a home mom who spends her days cleaning and chasing kids? I do walk for 60 minutes 5 days a week, so is this formula still reasonable for a woman?
  • banks1850
    Options
    It's a % ratio so yeah, it should work for anyone, I mean, 22% is pretty normal, but you can go lower if you like.