Is running worth it at this point?

Options
MeeshKB
MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
So I've been reading some of the awesome posts that folks have been making encouraging newbies to running. It's all good stuff.

Recently I told myself that running wasn't for me. Each time that I have tried to run (and I have tried a learn to run clinic as well as a beginner C25K type program) I haven't enjoyed it. At all. Dreaded it, really. But I'm hearing lots of folks say that it often starts out that way and gets better.

Here's the thing. I am getting a kick-*kitten* workout doing high intensity walking intervals on the treadmill (I can also do these outside but prefer to get sweaty and red-faced in the privacy of my own basement). I can maintain a HR at the top of my anaerobic range for 30-45 minutes during these workouts - I hope to push that to 60 minutes soon - and burn plenty of calories doing so. They leave me feeling fit and strong, if a little spent.

Contrast that with my attempts to run, which even in short intervals make me feel heavy and out of shape. And I can only spike my HR for maybe a minute and then it plummets shortly after because I need to slow down a lot to recover. So my question is this; since my goals currently are to improve my fitness level and lose weight, should I bother with running right now? Ever? I am willing to concede that if I put in the effort, I could get to a place where I am good at running and even - GASP! - enjoy it. But when I'm having such success with my walking workouts, I'm just wondering if it's worth reducing my calorie burn to get there right now.

I know that this is probably a matter of preference, but I'm looking for some perspectives. What are your thoughts on this? What would you do in my situation?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    What you're experiencing is the difference in running mechanics between treadmill and outdoors. With a treadmill you have a moving surface underfoot that propels you and tends to promote a longish stride, outdoors you're fighting gravity, wind, uphill inclines etc and your stride has to change to be efficient. This is why many people can go for ages on a treadmill but suffer when making the transition outdoors (I sure did!)

I guess the real question is if you really want to run outdoors. I can think of a million reasons why I prefer to run outside but I'm not you.

I know we tend to wax poetic about runs, my customary route takes me by a river and though wooded areas. I get to see sunsets and sunrises (when I wake up on time) but I also get rained on, snowed on, have had birds crap on me and have had some close encounters with skunks (not too close luckily). It's not everyone's cup of tea.

If you don't see yourself running outdoors don't worry about it, if we all liked the same stuff the world would be a pretty boring place......
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with Brian. I never did treadmill running. My first (fairly recent) experience was outdoor running, and I fell in love with it.

After hating exercise for a year and a half, trying everything I could and having to force myself to work out, my love of running has taught me an important lesson - don't waste time working out doing things you don't want to do, because there probably IS an exercise out there for everyone.

Sounds like you've already found yours - so why 'progress' to things you don't want to do?
  • MeeshKB
    Options
    You're right - the difference between treadmill and outdoors is huge. I totally see that. Even walking outside is more difficult than on the treadmill. And to be fair, I have never run on the treadmill. I am a clumsy oaf and too terrified to try it.

I understand that my treadmill workout isn't preparing me in any real way for outdoor runs, etc. I do like the idea of running outside, and being able to participate in runs with friends, etc. But I'm just not sure whether I want to switch gears at this point from the consistency of a workout I am succeeding at to learning a new sport.

Thanks so much for your thoughts on this. I'm really just looking for some opinions, and maybe the experiences of others who may have made or considered this transition.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've done both and it really really really depends. For me, when I started running (umm, the first time, lol) I started on a treadmill at the gym, I didn't fall in love with it, but the TVs and gym environment distracted me enough to get it done. When I started outdoor running, I liked it, but it worked me in a whole different kind of way with different terrains and such, and it HURT.

Now I've started running again, exclusively outside, and I love it. I used to get the worst aches and pains when running, but this time it's a lot easier and somewhat enjoyable (this could be related to the fact that I was 30 pounds heavier when I last started though...)

What is it about running that you dread? For me, it used to just freakin hurt so much that I never understood why people did it, so if it hurts, maybe get better shoes, or do more walking and work up to running later.

Truth is, running is hard and nobody ever seems to really say that, haha. It is really really hard and if you don't like it, that is okay. Sometimes I don't like it. If you like your walking program, I'd keep doing that.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Don't switch then. It is all about what works for you. If you are getting a good cardio burn without running stick with it. Maybe just go for a long walk with your friends as a different/seperate workout. It is fun to run outside though.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Fun = I'll do it.
    Not Fun = I'll say I'll do it but you know I'm really lying cause eventually I'll stop doing it.:blushing:

Stick with fun (or at least interesting!!)
  • MeeshKB
    Options
    Thanks to all for your perspectives. :flowerforyou:

osualex...I don't like the impact on my joints, and the fact that it leaves me sucking air. It totally takes me back to the time when I was an unfit kid made to run laps in the school gym. That's what made me afraid of exercise in the first place. I know some of this would improve with consistent practice, but I also know that would take a long time and I'm not sure I want it enough to work through too much of that.

I think I'm just having trouble getting over the feeling that I'm "wimping out" by not learning to run. I know I work hard at my walking workouts - my HR proves that - but I've always had this idea that the goal should be to run.

Sorry for the public navel-gazing, but your input really is appreciated!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options
    I love that you said "navel gazing."

Running isn't my thing either. I love hiking big hills, though. To each their own.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    For ME, running on the treadmill is a nightmare, but running outside is nice. I am kinda the same as you, I can walk for ages but jogging is really hard for me. But at least outside, there is fresh air and scenery and friendly people and doggies and all the things that distract me from being miserable. So *personally*, I would keep walking on the treadmill and take it outside for a jog when you need a changeup.

:)
  • Alwaysnancy
    Alwaysnancy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K as well and I'm still running and still finding it difficult but for me I do feel great afterwards. I don't know if it's the endorphins or just the feeling of accomplishment. There is also that brain thing. It keeps telling you that you can not go farther. And lately I've been out o prove it wrong. I think you have a good start with the treadmill but I would encourage you to get out and either walk outside and eventually start running. Maybe you just have to take the c25K at a slower pace. Maybe do each day 2 or 3 times. No one said you had to finish in 10 weeks. Good luck.

Oh and I find Spinning much harder than running but I do it and still hate it.
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I hear you, sister! I've been running. Last summer I walked/ran/sprinted combos for approximately 7 miles a day. Didn't have an HRM at the time and just used cardio trainer app on my phone. Then I signed up for a 10k trail walk/run last summer as a walker and had a blast. Really liked getting a Tshirt too.

So this year I signed up for a late March 5k. Started training for it and realized that it's a lot harder to try running when you've only been doing cardio/strength classes all winter long (which I love by the way). But I wanted to push myself harder so I signed up for 2 more 5k's (one in a week from now) and one in June. Also signed up for a 5miler in July. I did my 5k and shaved 3 mins off my time and got a Tshirt(long sleeved) and a souvenier chip and a luggage tag. Excited to see what the next Tshirt looks like! And what kind of schwag I get! Still don't really like running, but I love that I can burn the calories I do in a hour cardio class in 35 minutes of running. And I like the Tshirts.

But running is damn hard! I'd go back to walking, but it takes too long to get anywhere!
  • HikeRunLift
    HikeRunLift Posts: 70
    Options
    I never enjoyed running on a treadmill indoors breathing recycled air. It's just not for me. For those who can tolerate it though, good for you guys.

Running outside or any exercise outside for that matter.. I enjoy the elements, always have. Thats what I consider fun and I feel more at one and centered with myself. But for the past few months, I really feel reluctant to do any running on hard surfaces because of the shock that absorbs into my lower back from landing on my heels. I've been running in VFF since January, and although they have "fixed" me a great deal and I've retrained myself to land more so on the balls of my feet, still.. if its hard asphalt.. I always feel a bit tender in my lower back a couple days later.

So now, the only time I run anything over 5 miles is on/in sand at the beach. It's sure as hell a lot less impact than asphalt and it works soooooooo many more muscles.

But when it comes to speed walking, yea, I do a lot of walking and I'll beat anybody in a speed walking contest! thats a promise! lol
  • kailimae
    kailimae Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you will stick with! If you will keep up the walking treadmill workouts, then by all means, stick with it.

However, if you feel like the goal is to run and you are left feeling like "a wimp." Suck it up and do it. Commit to so many runs for a certain period of time (3 runs a week for 2 or 3 months or something of the like). That way you'll give it enough time to get better and past the horribleness of starting running and you can say you gave it a fair shot. Best case scenario, you fall in love and you surprise yourself with how powerful and accomplished you feel... goodbye terrible memories of the unfit kid running laps... hello hott mama! Worst case scenerio, you can legitimately say that running is not for you.

That said, if you do decide to give it a go... a couple tips from my personal experience...

1. Don't be afraid to go slow and easy. I think most beginners feel the need to run fast and burn themselves out right away. I personally love to run... and I run 13 minute miles. But I can run 13 minute miles all, day, long.
    2. Get off of the treadmill. I would rather shoot myself in the face than run on a treadmill for half a mile. Most of the true joys of running are found beyond a spinning belt.
    3. Finally, the runs you are dreading the most usually turn out to be the best runs. Tell yourself you are not going to bail on the planned run... even if it means you are going to run as slow as you possibly, humanly can for 10 minutes. Chances are good after 10 minutes, you won't mind keeping going.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    It's really such an individual choice. I get something from my running that I don't get just walking, but I can't quite explain it. But some of my fittest friends hate running and find other ways to stay active and fit. Since you enjoy walking but are considering some running, you might enjoy a Jeff Galloway-type run/walk group--you'd get outside, be with other people, and very slowly ease into running (or just continue to run/walk) without the pressure of trying to finish a program like C25k in a certain amount of time. Also, if you're like me, I started out trying to run way too fast and had to totally dial it back and try a slower, more even pace--that put less stress on my breathing and body and kept me from getting injured.

I love running; but even now, after 15 months, even that first couple of steps is hard for me some days!

As for the treadmill vs. outside running debate: I started out only on the treadmill for the first 3 months, then I started combining that with outdoor runs. I am fine with either, but I prefer outdoor running because most of the time it's with my running groups and I like the social aspect :smile: The treadmill is a bit smoother and easier on the body, as far as impact, but it's also nice to be outdoors and smell the air and see animals/birds/other runners whatever :laugh:

I'm probably not helping you out a whole lot here, but I am enjoying reading everyone's responses. Whether or not you decide to try running again, best of luck with your weight loss! :drinker:
  • Pisc2749
    Pisc2749 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way you do. A couple of years ago I started walking 3 miles/day on the treadmill, I would walk at 4.2 mostly, so it was a fast pace for me. I HATED running, despised it. I couldn't run for more than a minute at a time and that bothered me a lot. It made me feel weak and out of shape, despite exercising in other ways. I refused to even try to run for 2 years. I felt like it was something other people could do, but not me.

Even though I was losing a little weight by walking and strength training, I didn't feel like my heart and lungs were in better shape. I was still getting winded going uphill, gardening, doing other strenuous activites.

My biggest barrier was mental, once I convinced myself I could do it, I started with a 1/4 mile, then worked my way up. Even 8 months later, I can only do 3 miles comfortably, 5 miles uncomfortably. It's helped take a little more weight off, but it didn't melt away immediately like I thought it would.

It all comes down to what your goals are. Don't let peer pressure get to you - I know how many blogs out there are all about running, I read most of them. Runners make it seem like it's the holy grail but it's not for everyone. I can't say I love it, but I love how I feel afterward. During the run, it still sucks almost the entire time.

So what's the payoff? It's more mental than physical. I get more muscle toning from strength training - but my heart and lungs are in much better shape.
  • MeeshKB
    Options
    I sometimes feel like when you say that you walk for exercise, people think you're out there meandering around; that it's not a real workout. I walk at speeds that some folks jog at. I have gotten up to 4.8 MPH on the treadmill and routinely walk at 4.6 or 4.7 MPH. It's a tough workout. A different kind of tough than running, sure. Obviously I find running harder. But my walking workouts are no "walk in the park". :smile:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have 2 comments:

1) I'm assuming you have a HR monitor, so I suggest trying running, but dialing the intensity way back to where it almost feels like an uncomfortably slow pace, maybe around 60-65% of your max HR. Use that slow pace to build endurance, and progressively you can start raising the heart rate that you'll be comfortable at. Couple this with some interval training with a faster run and walking recovery periods and you should be able to build a good running foundation.

2) The fact that you can train at the upper end of your anaerobic range for an extended time suggests that it is not your anaerobic range at all. The "rule of thumb" 220-age formula does not work for everyone, some people have higher or lower maximum heart rates. Probably yours is higher than the formula predicts, so you're really in an aerobic range. At anaerobic intensity you would hit what is called a lactic acid threshold, which is often referred to as "hitting the wall", and your body can't absorb the amount of lactic acid your muscles are producing and it forces you to stop. It's why even professional athletes can't run a 5K at a sprint- 800m is about the sprint limit.
  • Raiderxx
    Raiderxx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely fallen in love with running. I started out not being able to run for more than 2 minutes without being winded, and can now run 5K distances consistently and I do it outside! Like you I started on the treadmill and when it warmed up I transitioned to outside running. It was WAY harder than I expected but as you run outside more and more it just gets easier and easier and before you know it you are running 2 miles without even thinking about it!
  • TiffanyAching
    TiffanyAching Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i think you'd lose that hatred for 'sucking air' faster than you anticipate. i'm into week 4 of c25k now and i lost my fear of being out of breath pretty early on. i used to panic when my chest felt tight and short of breath and end up stopping and gasping about. i think by the end of week 1 i'd twigged i wasn't going to die :ohwell: and now when i get that (usually within the first run interval) i stay calm, breath a bit deeper and then i don't feel out of breath again for the rest of the session.

having said that, if what you're doing is working for you, then keep doing it til it's not. i don't think c25k is the most efficient way for me to lose weight/get fitter, it's just something i wanted to do, and achieving the impossible (to me) week after week is great for confidence and the fact its a programme keeps me going out there, whereas other sorts of exercise i was finding easy to postpone. bad days i feel like an enormous lump moving in slow motion, today was a good day and felt great.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    If you are happy doing what you are doing, then stick with it. Wait until you are bored to do something new. Oh, and do keep trying with the running next time you try something new.