Shoulder Question for Runners

Options
sluedu09
sluedu09 Posts: 107 Member
Hello!

I've been running since November, with a month break because I got really ill. I've been back at it for a few weeks and haven't had too much trouble getting back into the groove. I run about 3.3 miles usually. I'm still pretty slow with a 12/12.5 minute mile. Here's my question: Since I started back, I'm having trouble with my shoulders and upper arms feeling really tired. I'm trying to make sure they're relaxed and I'm keeping my arms down by my waist/hips. I shake them out every now and then. So what should I do? It's really getting to me. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Starbec
    Starbec Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sorry - I can't help you - but I'm bumping because I sometimes have the same problem ??
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Some suggestions

1: Stretch before and after you run.
    Not only your legs but your back, shoulders, and arms.

2: Run with your elbows at a 90 degree angle hands in front of you

3: Keep your head up and your shoulders back (look at the horizon, not hunched over and looking down)

4: Relax and enjoy a comfortable pace.

Post run
    Stretch again, take your time and ensure you stretch well.
    This will help you to minimize soreness..

Hope this helps
  • ashprather
    ashprather Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CassieLeigh86
    CassieLeigh86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me when I ran too...then I worked on my breathing and it went away. I have no idea if the two were correlated, but it's something to consider! Make sure that you stay relaxed not only in body form, but also in breathing...at least as much as possible! :)
  • sluedu09
    sluedu09 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I do need to stretch more. My breathing has been pretty good...I breathe mostly through my nose. Today was really hot, and I'm kinda worn out from this week, so that may have had something to do with it too.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    When I first started back running, I had this same problem. I could barely keep my arms up b/c they were tired and so were my shoulders. I started using weights for shoulder and arm exercises and doing pushups. That helped strengthen my shoulders and they stopped being so tired.
  • maryrunslikeafox
    maryrunslikeafox Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I would definitely try to do some strength training to work the muscles in your arms and upper back. This helped me when I was marathon training. Also try pilates! =)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    work your upper back and rear delts and see if that makes a difference.