Except too much moderation. Wait. What?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Except too much moderation. Wait. What?
    Exploding-head.gif
  • CaroSeraMince
    Options
    Any food that can last for a couple of years like that does not sound very healthy to me.

Peanut butter? Honey? Rice?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Mother nature strikes again.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10063298
    Abstract
    In contrast to earlier epidemiologic studies showing a low prevalence of atherosclerotic heart disease (AHD) and type-2 dependent diabetes mellitus (Type-2 DM) in the Indian subcontinent, over the recent years, there has been an alarming increase in the prevalence of these diseases in Indians--both abroad and at home, attributable to increased dietary fat intake. Replacing the traditional cooking fats condemned to be atherogenic, with refined vegetable oils promoted as "heart-friendly" because of their polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) content, unfortunately, has not been able to curtail this trend. Current data on dietary fats indicate that it is not just the presence of PUFA but the type of PUFA that is important--a high PUFA n-6 content and high n-6/n-3 ratio in dietary fats being atherogenic and diabetogenic. The newer "heart-friendly" oils like sunflower or safflower oils possess this undesirable PUFA content and there are numerous research data now available to indicate that the sole use or excess intake of these newer vegetable oils are actually detrimental to health and switching to a combination of different types of fats including the traditional cooking fats like ghee, coconut oil and mustard oil would actually reduce the risk of dyslipidaemias, AHD and Type-2 DM.

[quote/]
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Interesting. In the 1980s when they were pushing safflower oil, my nose told me the stuff can't be very good. It would go rancid in a matter of a day or two and I decided that inedible rancid oil wasn't something I wanted in my mouth.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Treetop the correlation between saturated fat and cadiovascular disease is generally associated with increased LDL, but that isn't the whole picture.

When saturated fat is replacing plant oils it increases our total cholesterol levels with both HDL and LDL going up. The main reason this happens is in the size of the lipoproteins (capsules) that the cholesterol is being transported in. Saturated fat increases the size of those lipoproteins compared to other fat, like I said, but doesn't neccessarily deliver more actual particles. Blood cholesterol is measured in milligrams per deciliter (ml/dl) so total weight is increased, but generally no more or fewer actual capsules (lipoproteins) are actually seen. The larger particles are known to be less atherogenic, so while our cholesterol might go up, it's not necessarily a bad thing. Even though they've lowered saturated fat to 7% from 10%, they can't find a lower limit that is safe, which if there was a lower safe limit, then that would have 30, 40, 50 years ago been easly proven that saturated fat caused heart disease, but as we know, the opposite is now becoming conventional wisdom.
    Interesting. In the 1980s when they were pushing safflower oil, my nose told me the stuff can't be very good. It would go rancid in a matter of a day or two and I decided that inedible rancid oil wasn't something I wanted in my mouth.
    Butter, like ghee, can increase risk of cardiovascular disease when consumed in excessive amounts. One research study has shown that 3 tablespoons of butter per day over 4 weeks can increase total cholesterol and LDL-cholesterol. For this reason, if you are going to cook with butter, you will want to keep the amount at a moderate level of no more than 1-2 tablespoons.
    [quote/]
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation, ghee is the missing ingredient in making authentic Indian cuisine, you can also use it to make semolina (mmmmm). I treat it like a treat and it can indeed last for years.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Ghee isn't bad. Eat up.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I enjoy ghee and also the smell of it. I think it lasting for years on the shelf could point to a time where people didn't have refrigeration and needed something that could be used without it spoiling. I don't usually cook with it though.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    The reason why natural saturated fat doesn't go rancid easily is because it doesn't go rancid easily. lol, I know that sounds odd, but it true. The longer the isomer in the fatty acids chain the more suseptable it is to oxidation through light, heat and oxygen with the n:22's like omega's very suseptable to oxidation and saturated fats are much lower on the chain. Coconut oil for example sits at 12 in the carbon acid chain. Tigersword mentioned Stearic acid which is 18 on the carbon chain, but it's also metabolised differently and absorbed by the liver and used as ATP mostly and conversely has been deemed a good saturated fat by conventional wisdom standards mostly because it's not stored conventionally. Ghee, butter, coconut and palm oils have few polyunsaturated fats and the reason their more protective cardiovacualrly speaking and the least likely to go rancid and why their also good for cooking.
  • Casi23
    Casi23 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Any food that can last for a couple of years like that does not sound very healthy to me.

Peanut butter? Honey? Rice?

Read my mind...