How many calories for breakfast/lunch?

wattsam1
wattsam1 Posts: 95
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
My profile says I should be eating 1200 calories a day (more than that usually because I go to the gym after work and burn about 300 calories on the elliptical). How many calories should I be eating for breakfast and lunch?

Replies

• ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    I believe technically you should spilt your calories into 4 groups... so at 1200 calories you should have 4 300 calories groups. 300 for breakfast, 300 for lunch, 300 for dinner, and 300 for snacks (split into however many you want). That said mine are set at 1300 calories (before exercise) and I don't really follow a pattern lol. I also have a hard time eating all the calories when I'm have a really healthy day... I simply don't have room :laugh:
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    My breakfast usually ends up being about 200 - 300 calories depending on which cereal I have in the morning. Though, as it's getting colder I am going to jump on the oatmeal bandwagon. :P

A sandwich with chicken, cheese, and .5 tbs of mayo ends up being about 400 calories. I slip in a healthy snack (apple or carrots) between breakfast and lunch, then again between lunch and dinner. My calorie goals are a bit higher though (1400 for 1lb a week).

I hope that helps a little. :flowerforyou:
  • faithjobes
    faithjobes Posts: 104 Member
    I usually try 200 for bfast, 300 for lunch, 400 for dinner and 100 each snack give or take.
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    I used to eat oatmeal ALL the time, so it would be about 160? Usually most people do 200-300. Plan your food the day before. That way you can eat a smaller breakfast if you want a bigger dinner or something like that.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    It wont make that much of a difference as long as you are at or under your cals for the day, and getting the right types of food.

I think that Breakfast should be the largest meal as it gets your metabolism going for the day and you have all day to burn those cals off, each successive meal thereafter should be smaller and smaller. So as an example you could eat 400 for breakfast, 350 for lunch, 300 for supper, and 150 for snacks throughout the day on a 1200 cal diet.
  • bdovel
    bdovel Posts: 2
    I generally like to eat more for dinner when I am home with my family so I plan for 600 calories at dinner. I eat 300 for breakfast and 300 for lunch, I'm not much of a snack eater. I do eat my exercise calories so I add in whatever I exercise off according to whenever I'm hungrier.

Hope this helps:smile:
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    I'm a morning eater... I need to eat a decent breakfast and then a mid-morning snack to get me through the morning. My appetite tapers off as the day goes on.

You have to be the judge on what works best for you. I know some people can get by with a smaller breakfast, but I'm not one of them! :happy:
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    I like the high fiber maple oatmeal---160 witha container of unsweetned applesauce stirred in after it cooks and 1/8 cup sugar free syrup----230 calories total and lasts me 4 hours.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,206 Member
    I usually eat more at dinner because thats when I am hungry. I have 180 for breakfast (protien bar), about 350 for lunch, 250 for a snack, then I have 500 at dinner. Whatever I work off in exercise calories I usually add a second snack or an item to my dinner. :smile:
  • Eat about 300 to 400 calories for breakfast to jump start your matabolism. Lots of fibers and veggies they take more energy to digest. Eating that many calories in the morning lets your body know that it will be getting food regularly and it will keep it from going into starvation mode. Also I eat about every 2 to 3 hours to keep myself from getting hungry and to keep my metabolism up. Also drink a lot of water in the morning as well to rehydrate and throughout the day to burn more fat. Good luck and I hope this helped.
This discussion has been closed.