Walking To Lose Weight

Options
So I heard that you had to walk at a fast pace for over 45 min. at least everyday . That I should walk before breakfast , so it uses my calories as fuel , instead of my fat ? And that I should walk after dinner , to help promote weight loss . So if I walked 1 full hour when I wake , and 1 hour after I sleep . 2 hours of walking at 3.0-3.5 mph ... Is this going to help me lose any weight ? Or should my workout be more intense , because I just started working out last week . I started with 20min . now I can walk to 45 min . and more .

Replies

• MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    when i started all i did was walk an hour a day and stayed in my calories and the weight came off.
  • Autry403
    Autry403 Posts: 88
    Options
    Sounds great :D
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    So I heard that you had to walk at a fast pace for over 45 min. at least everyday . That I should walk before breakfast , so it uses my calories as fuel , instead of my fat ? And that I should walk after dinner , to help promote weight loss . So if I walked 1 full hour when I wake , and 1 hour after I sleep . 2 hours of walking at 3.0-3.5 mph ... Is this going to help me lose any weight ? Or should my workout be more intense , because I just started working out last week . I started with 20min . now I can walk to 45 min . and more .
    As long as you are in a weight loss diet plan than absolutely this can benefit weight loss as well as keep you in shape and healthy. If you want to work out harder than that just means you will burn off more calories in a faster period of time. Do what you're comfortable with or enjoy, as this will keep you motivated to keep it up.
  • Autry403
    Options
    I have another problem ... lol I stretch each time before I walk , but my calves are so sore it hurts when I walk around my house ... Is there anything that could help relieve some of the ache ?
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Yes, walking will definitely help you lose weight. Beginning of April last year I adopted a dog and started walking him every day. Only 1 good walk a day, generally 45 minutes to 1 hour but sometimes longer. I went from 300-ish lbs to 275-280 lbs over the course of 6 months without really do much of anything about my bad diet at the time.

If you're not used to exercising or at least higher impact exercises (running), walking longer distances will help your ligaments, tendons and cartilage in your joints toughen up. That will help prevent injuries that can happen if you just jump off the couch and try to do distance running.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I have another problem ... lol I stretch each time before I walk , but my calves are so sore it hurts when I walk around my house ... Is there anything that could help relieve some of the ache ?

Stretch before and after. Cold stretching generally doesn't do much for the muscle. Warm stretching does work well though. As for just general soreness, it will go away over a couple weeks.
  • Autry403
    Options

Stretch before and after. Cold stretching generally doesn't do much for the muscle. Warm stretching does work well though. As for just general soreness, it will go away over a couple weeks.

Thank you for the tips . :happy:
  • newtz10
    newtz10 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You should try and stretch after you have been walking about 10-15 minutes and again when you are done! Like dvisser1 said warm stretching is what really helps!! If you are really sore go get some icy hot and some Tylenol!!
  • ff1diver
    ff1diver Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Great job and great goals!!! When you get bored with walking try something else like heavy lifting...you will definately see results...key is not to become bored with your work out and not to let your body get comfortable with the same ol same ol routine...the body will get used to this...then weight loss will slow down....This is what has worked for me!:glasses:
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Just walk......whenever, whatever speed you feel comfortable doing. As long as your burn more than you are taking in, it's gonna work.