Why am I so hungry in the evenings? - Help!

Options
I always eat a good evening meal, tonight I had jacket potato with veg and feta, yesterday I had fish and salad etc, but about 9pmish I always get super hungry and end up venturing down to the kitchen for a snack which takes me over my calorie goals. Does anyone else have this or does anyone have any ideas how I can stop feeling so hungry? (or give me the motivation to just not eat!)

I usually go to sleep about 10.30pm as well and I know it's not good to eat so close to bed

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I try to make sure my breakfast and lunch are large and high in protein and I snack during the day. I don't really let myself get hungry during the day, and I've found that staying full-feeling all day helps me not feel hungry around bedtime.
  • kristenlees122
    Options
    i can eat every single second of the day from breakfast to dinner, and i will still be 'hungry' at 9pm. i dont know what it is. i try and drink lots of water, distract myself, or at least just eat something healthy like an apple or fruit and yoghurt. sometimes i think its just boredom / 'i havent done anything in awhile, better eat!'
  • miss_september
    Options
    I tend to want a snack sometime before bed, unless dinner was really filling--which normally isn't the case during the week, as I eat before I work out because of my schedule, so I try not to eat a lot. I simply work it into my day--I try to plan out what my evening snack is going to be based on how many calories I will burn from my workout. It isn't always perfect, as sometimes life happens and workout plans have to change, but I also have a general idea of how many calories certain activities burn so I can always change my snack too.
  • jdm120
    jdm120 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Try a sweet hot drink like low cal hot chocolate - it seems to be working for me. Another option is have a digestive biscuit with a cup of tea or save a snack for 9pm. You're better off planning the snack than literally just snacking on whatever you can get your hands on. Prepare for your body's needs.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I have snacks at night. If you have enough calories why not have a snack. It really doesn't matter when you eat.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Are you bored or actually hungry? If you're really hungry, maybe your goal is too low and you are not eating enough.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Try a greek yogurt --fills you up.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say with your diary not being open, but you might not be eating enough fat or protein. Both of those trigger fullness.

You could also be bored or dehydrated.
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    The notion of "eating before bed = bad" is BS. If you're hungry, your body needs the food. The caveate is WHAT you eat.

Obviously you should eat something high in protein, low in fat and carbs. A great option - hard boiled egg whites.

Other options:
    Fat free plain greek yogurt
    Fat free cottage cheese
    Casein protein shake
  • mistymamas
    mistymamas Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love the low calorie hot chocolate idea! :)

I have this problem too. I get super hungry around 6 when I leave work., So I try to have an apple or fruit at my desk for that.

But after 10pm I DO want to eat, but it is pure boredom and because I like eating while watching TV (bad I know). So I am going to try the hot chocolate :)
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I would just plan for a snack for later in the evening... maybe you're just having supper too early :-)
  • Kylieikerd
    Kylieikerd Posts: 82
    Options
    just save room for a snack! I always always eat a snack an hour or so before bed.
  • raineraven78
    raineraven78 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I could have used this last night! I was so hungry.. I ended up just going to bed but I agree that if you're hungry you should eat - just make smart choices.
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Save a little calories for before bed. I always eat right before bed, I sleep way better, and I am still losing weight. I even eat carbs (oh no!) right before bed....no difference. I make a protein shake with extra water to fill me up if I dont have the cals left. Greek yogur with chia seeds is awesome instead of ice cream if you want healthy alternatives. I don't know why, but I need a full belly at night.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    hm, up your healthy fats perhaps? Its tough to suggest food without seeing your diary. I almost never have this feeling, so feel free to take a look at my diary!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat. I always try to leave a few hundred calories for evening snacking, because it makes me happy. Otherwise, I feel deprived! I'll have a protein shake, or some peanut butter, or popcorn, or some cheese - whatever. If you can be happy during this process of losing weight, you will stick to it!
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I also always try to leave extra snack calories for the evening. I'm rarely famished in the morning so I make breakfast a smaller meal and save those extra calories for late at night. And BTW, sometimes I eat just minutes before going to bed and it doesn't effect my sleep or calorie maintenance. In fact, it might even help me sleep better.
  • Heatherjg0419
    Heatherjg0419 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think jdm120 has the right idea ... you know it's going to happen, so save a healthy snack for 9 ... and voila, problem solved.
  • cournae
    cournae Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i can eat every single second of the day from breakfast to dinner, and i will still be 'hungry' at 9pm. i dont know what it is. i try and drink lots of water, distract myself, or at least just eat something healthy like an apple or fruit and yoghurt. sometimes i think its just boredom / 'i havent done anything in awhile, better eat!'

I totally agree! I always try to leave about 100 calories leftover for after dinner (around 9pm) because I know I will have a snack attack. It could be as simple as me using low fat/sugar free coffee creamer for breakfast instead of full cal- It saves me about 50 calories. If you make a few more low fat/low cal replacements for other means during the day, you can save at least enough for a decent after dinner snack- My personal favorite is 100 calorie pack bags of microwave popcorn!
  • zzzeldazz
    zzzeldazz Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm sure glad to know it's not just me with this craving.