I just found out...

That I know someone from the small college I'm going to start going to. This person hasn't seen me after my massive weight gain. I'm sure people will talk and be happy that I've gained 100 pounds. I used to be so slender at only 100 pounds, but because of medication and depression I gained all that weight. I'm barely recognizable. I don't know if I should just go to college or try to get my money back. I'm so sick and embarrassed of being fat.

Replies

• hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    I think you should go to college. I know it'll be tough but you may never even see that one person on campus. I go to a ~2,000 person campus and in my major I see maybe, MAYBE 30 people a day?
    And also, people gain weigh. It happens. If that one person is going to be so awful to be judgemental of you because you gained weight, they are not worth your time!
  • chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    I say that you should go! Don't let your weight get in the way of you going to college! Try to focus on your goals. What are you going to college for?
  • mommy7
    mommy7 Posts: 153
    Don't let fear of a person keep you from doing anything, and I mean anything. TRUST ME! If I let my fears control me, I wouldn't be where I am today.
  • xsmallsize
    xsmallsize Posts: 4
    Don't be afraid. Like you said you are barely recognizable so you can probably just avoid them any ways. My college is only 6000 people and I hardly see people I know unless they're in my class. Plus it's not your fault you had a mental illness. It's the same as cancer it will have some negative effects on your appearance, nothing you should have to feel embarrassed about plus be proud that you're getting your life back together and doing something for yourself!
  • slscasper
    slscasper Posts: 1
    Who cares what others think. You need to focus on yourself and your happiness.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Just go!!! Don't get caught up in what others think of you! You're already here working towards your health, so just be proud of that, ok!?
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Never be ashamed of yourself and DON'T put your education and future on hold for what others may think of you. Hold your head up, continue the program of getting healthy by using this site and forget everyone else.
  • hsk1019
    hsk1019 Posts: 235 Member
    Do it for you! Don't worry about others. You will make new friends and they will help motivate you on your healthy journey!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Do NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT sacrifice college over being embarrassed!!! Your education is a lot more important!!
  • Skmellyg
    Skmellyg Posts: 158 Member
    Girl, you just have to look ahead! PLEASE do not stop going to school because you are embarrassed on how you look. LET them talk, let them do whatever. They are not the people you want to be around with anyways. You know you are striving to become a better you, why do they matter.
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Don't let fear of a person keep you from doing anything, and I mean anything. TRUST ME! If I let my fears control me, I wouldn't be where I am today.

True facts!!
  • ryall70
    ryall70 Posts: 519 Member
    Don't let that stop you. It will only lead to more negative thoughts!!!
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    That I know someone from the small college I'm going to start going to. This person hasn't seen me after my massive weight gain. I'm sure people will talk and be happy that I've gained 100 pounds. I used to be so slender at only 100 pounds, but because of medication and depression I gained all that weight. I'm barely recognizable. I don't know if I should just go to college or try to get my money back. I'm so sick and embarrassed of being fat.
    Are you really serious?
    No matter what you do in your life, people will always find something wrong with you.
    If you have money you are a snob.
    If you are poor you trash.
    If you are fat or to skinny you are unhealthy.
    Go to college to better yourself.
    What they think of you doesn't not effect you.
    Don't let this interupt your life because of what if.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    If it's any help, when I went to college, I was surprised to see a very popular girl from my high school after she had gained weight. I was surprised, but I had no negative feelings or thoughts about her. She was a nice person, popular, and I honestly didn't think a thing about her or the weight gain. We knew each other in school, but were in different groups, and were always nice to each other, but that was it.

(At the time, I did not have a weight problem, but I always thought I was fat, even if I was normal weight).

So, I would agree with those people who say, "Go!" and remember to treat yourself kindly. You're probably harder on yourself than anyone else ever will be. And, most of those people you're worried about, are really more concerned about themselves.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Go to school! If you're afraid you might run into this person, then aren't you also afraid that you might run into anybody else you know/knew anywhere you go? Don't let it stop you from going anywhere!! Just do it!! :flowerforyou:
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    At the end of the day, people need to love you for you - indepependant of weight. If someone chooses not to be friends with you due to an aesthetic quality like this then its not worth having in you life.

In addition, this is YOUR projection of what you perceive someone to think of you - not what they nessasarily do!!! Think positive, hold your head high and believe in yourself and realize that this person has no reason not to like you !!!

(And by the way, they may be thinking the same thing about you... perhaps they have gained/lost weight or have something that THEY are conscious about - you have got to remember... "Everyone has their something!"
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Do NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT sacrifice college over being embarrassed!!! Your education is a lot more important!!

This. I know one person who did not go to college and doesn't regret it. Every other person I meet who didn't go to college regrets it a lot. I also gained a lot of weight while in college, and I didn't want my friends to see me after I gained so much (about 50lbs) but nobody said anything.

This is for your future, so don't worry about them. Focus on you, focus on school. Make yourself better by getting an education and make yourself better by getting healthy!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Are you really serious?
    No matter what you do in your life, people will always find something wrong with you.
    If you have money you are a snob.
    If you are poor you trash.
    If you are fat or to skinny you are unhealthy.
    Go to college to better yourself.
    What they think of you doesn't not effect you.
    Don't let this interupt your life because of what if.

But if you go to college, you're an elitist! I'm sorry, I couldn't resist the satire.
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    First of all ,you stay enrolled.You are on here and that tells me you are ready to do something about the extra weight,you are going to have ALOT of friends cheering you on and following your journey!I was thinking how do you know that he/she hasn't gained.wouldn't that be crazy if they were afraid for you to see them??/LOL
    Seriously though, their is soooooo much more to you than some weight that YOU CAN get rid of.People that have an ugly heart are just stuck!
    Girl, you bout to be fit,healthy and educated!!!!!!!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    f09570cc.jpg