Dietician has me eating below BMR

Options
My BMR is 1649 and TDEE is 1979.
I'm participating in a weight management program through my doctor's office. I was put on a 1200 calorie diet. I've lost about 8 lbs in the last 2.5 weeks so something is working (even if it is just water weight!). I also recently joined MFP and until then I didn't know about BMR or TDEE. I plan on bringing this up at the next check in this week to see what their reasoning is.

Do you think eating below your BMR is OK during reduction phase and if monitored by medical staff? Maybe it is too early to tell if the low calories will stunt my weight loss. When does the initial water weight loss stop?

Replies

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    If you are very obese, it is not abnormal to start on a very low calorie diet and then move up to a more sustainable level. A lot of people here might say that you should never eat below your BMR, but in my completely non-medical opinion, I think it is fine. The down side is that you will lose muscle, but it will speed up things a bit. You can talk to your doctor and make sure that they aren't completely oblivious to nutrition or even talk to a nutritionist.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's more important to get the weight off your frame (for medical reasons) than it is to salvage all your lean mass. Faster weight loss under the direct supervision of a doctor is just fine.
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    Your BMR is your `maintenance' calories. In order to lose weight anyone around here will tell you that you need to eat below this number, 500 per week seems to be the norm. I would say (and again in my completely non medical opinion only that I myself have lost over 80 lbs doing this....) that if you stick to this and not go under 1200 you should be fine. Good luck. Feel free to add me.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Same here, my target is a little under BMR. Doctor's advice trumps random people on a forum. ;)
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is your `maintenance' calories. In order to lose weight anyone around here will tell you that you need to eat below this number, 500 per week seems to be the norm. I would say (and again in my completely non medical opinion only that I myself have lost over 80 lbs doing this....) that if you stick to this and not go under 1200 you should be fine. Good luck. Feel free to add me.

That is wrong. TDEE is the term you're describing. BMR will always be less than TDEE, and the difference depends on how active you are.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's more important to get the weight off your frame (for medical reasons) than it is to salvage all your lean mass. Faster weight loss under the direct supervision of a doctor is just fine.

I would agree.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

BMR is not 'maintenance calories', BMR is 'not rolling out of bed today calories'. TDEE is maintenance calories. Caloric deficit is TDEE minus the food/calories you consume.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options

ditto! right down to the over 80 pound loss, LOL, same here!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

False. BMR - basal metabolic rate, the amount of calories/energy to sustain only vital functions of your body, aka what you need to survive during a coma. TDEE - total daily energy expenditure, the amount of calories/energy to sustain your current activity level and all vital functions of your body, aka maintenance calories.
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options

BMR IS NOT your maintenance calories! It stands for basil metabolic rate and is the amount of calories that your body would require if it was in a coma! Nobody should ever eat below this because quite frankly if you are in a coma then I suspect you aren't trying to lose weight on MFP....yes you are going to lose weight but at the expense of screwing up your metabolism and possibly damaging organs and muscle mass.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

False. BMR - basal metabolic rate, the amount of calories/energy to sustain only vital functions of your body, aka what you need to survive during a coma. TDEE - total daily energy expenditure, the amount of calories/energy to sustain your current activity level and all vital functions of your body, aka maintenance calories.

Thank you for that. I'm new here and I had no idea what TDEE was.
  • TeaRexParty
    TeaRexParty Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Just my thoughts but every weight loss doctor I've seen always seems to do a 1200 or 1400 calorie diet. But when I've successfully lost weight I always did better by using harris benedicts equation and going under that but not going under my BMR. I actually lost more pounds per week than I should have by eating more food but still cutting calories for a defecit.

Another thing a friend pointed out to me (and I believe) is if you start out super strict on calories and hit a plateau then you don't really leave yourself anywhere to go. Same with exercise. I used to be all or nothing with my efforts going super strict and that's what would happen to me and I'd end up quiting. But when I finally listened to her and went more moderate, then when my weight loss slowed I could cut my calories a bit more, increase activity or both.
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    yeah, your dietician knows what theyre doing. go with whatever they tell you! its their job, they've sat threw hours and hours of uni to get there. if they wernt decent your drs surgery probably wouldnt employ them. :)
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    To the responder - This is incorrect. Your BMR is what you need to eat in order to lie in bed all day and do nothing. This covers your basic functions. Your TDEE is your maintenance calories in order to maintain your current weight taking into consideration your current daily activity level and exercise.

To the original poster - Since you are under medical supervision you need to be asking those about your worries. It's easy for MFP buddies to give you advice (we're all here to help :> ) but most of us are are not professionals in the area of nutrition and fitness.

Good luck on your weight loss journey!

:)
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

This is incorrect! Your BMR is what your body uses just to be totally still and not do anything, as soon as you start moving around you use more than that. Your maintenance is your TDEE! Which you can deduct from to lose weight
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    Yes, sincerely apologise for the error in the information I posted. I understand that BMR is your `at rest' calorie burn while TDEE is your total calorie burn including exercise. Again sincerely apologise for the error.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Do you think eating below your BMR is OK during reduction phase and if monitored by medical staff?

Yes indeed. Common practice and generally regarded as safe.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1649 and TDEE is 1979.
    I'm participating in a weight management program through my doctor's office. I was put on a 1200 calorie diet. I've lost about 8 lbs in the last 2.5 weeks so something is working (even if it is just water weight!). I also recently joined MFP and until then I didn't know about BMR or TDEE. I plan on bringing this up at the next check in this week to see what their reasoning is.

Do you think eating below your BMR is OK during reduction phase and if monitored by medical staff? Maybe it is too early to tell if the low calories will stunt my weight loss. When does the initial water weight loss stop?

I lost my first 18kg at 1200 cals.

Then my weight loss began to stall, my hair started falling out, and I felt tired all the time.

So, I upped my calories to above BMR, and I'm starting to lose weight again, my hair isn't falling out as much and I don't feel tired.

For someone who is morbidly obese, I think eating that little to get a lot of weight off fast is fine, but it isn't sustainable, and your weightloss will stall.

You will want to put your calories up at some point, but for now, under Dr's supervision, you are fine.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Yep. So long as you are on a supervised weight loss plan you are all good. Your dietitian will raise your calories when appropriate.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are go with the dr and the dietician who have studied this, and met YOU for YOUR specific situation over people on the internet that don't know anything about you.

I am being monitored by a medical clinich that specializes in weight loss and diabetes. I have an endocrinologist, a dietician, and a dr who had special training in nutrition in weight loss. I believe them for me over what people say here for MY situation.

I had my BMR tested and TDEE calculated along with a whole bunch of other tests. I also have my BMR tested after large chunks of weight lose (about every 20 pounds). I have a target range between 200 UNDER my BMR, and no more than 200 above is my ideal range. My TDEE is what I aim for during really challenging times such as vacation or when I am sick. I was told the absolutely lowest anyone should have is 1200, but my min is above that. I also have been told not to eat my excercise calories, however if I am really hungry a small snack (under 200 cal) is okay.

I really think that the specific medical advise (as long as they are qualified) is generally better than random internet advice.