Are you judging others by their body?

Check out this article I just read about stereotyping women by body type, fat and thin:

http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/2012/05/weight-stereotyping-the-secret-way-people-are-judging-you-based-on-your-body-glamour-june-2012

Be sure to read all three pages (it's quick).

I've been on the thin side most of my life and find some validation that I wasn't just imagining being treated not so nicely at times because I was thin. It definitely swings both ways.

What do you think?

Replies

• clocklady
    clocklady Posts: 111 Member
    Nobody?
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    You know what sucks a lot? Being harassed and bullied for your breasts size. If you're small, you're flat. If you're big, you're a *kitten*.
  • turbophoenix
    turbophoenix Posts: 152
    Oh yeah, this definitely happens on BOTH sides. I see posts here (and elsewhere) where "skinny" girls (putting labels in quotes bc I don't like them but don't know how else to say this) talk about how "fat" girls (and guys!) make them physically ill and that they must all be lazy a$$es etc. Then I also see "bigger" girls talking about how "skinny" girls need to eat a sandwich or that they "aren't real women" because they don't have curves or whatever.

Uh... okay? It's messed up both ways.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    People tend to pick apart anyone or anything that's different than they are. People with low self esteem use it to "prove" to themselves that they are just as good or better than others. It's sad, but the nature of the beast in society.
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    You know what sucks a lot? Being harassed and bullied for your breasts size. If you're small, you're flat. If you're big, you're a *kitten*.

...and if you have breast implants you are a fake *kitten*.... yes that sucks and it gets old. Fast. :frown:
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    I really don't care if people think I'm conceited, b*tchy, vain, blah blah blah!
  • clocklady
    Yeah, I'm finally starting to not care anymore what others think. Clearly no matter what you look like people will find fault with it, so it's best to focus on what makes you happy.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    I was discussing this on another site the other day, when I was talking about some NSVs I had. One was that people in my law school courses have been taking me more seriously since I've lost weight. Before, people would seriously just start talking over me, as though I wasn't saying anything at all. If anyone even noticed that I was talking, they usually just stared at me and didn't offer any kind of response before turning around and talking to someone else. I have terrible social phobia, so I figured I just wasn't getting something. But once those same people started listening to me and thinking my ideas were good ones (in the same classes, same semester), I realized the only difference was how I looked, and I was livid.

It's been made clear to me many times (often in the form of rather cruel comments) that I just "don't get it," but every time I read things like this, I'm glad I'm socially inept. I'd rather be weird and misunderstood than judgmental and unfair.
  • It is a good article. The picture alone speaks for the whole article.

I completely agree with it - I am on the opposite end of the spectrum from you, and feel as though people are labeling me 'lazy' and 'careless' because I am overweight. I feel they couldn't be more wrong. While I am not out physically excercising every day, I am constantly on the run. I work full-time, and am required to take an extra 40 hours of call every 2 weeks. My job can be very demanding. When I am at work, I am busy, and am on my feet, lifting and transferring patients left and right for a majority of the night. The only time I sit is when I have a free second to chart, until the next call light goes off.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    No wonder men think we're crazy. I do notice that some women aren't as nice to me after losing weight. I even had one women openly admit that i used to be her "fat friend" (this same girl also said I was part to blame for her being bulimic because I ate healthy. Crazy)

It's pretty sad, but I doubt it's going to change any time soon. On the plus side, at least guys are all over you when you're in better shape :bigsmile:
  • clocklady
    It does suck that it won't change, probably ever. Oh well. I definitely try more and more to be mindful of what I think of others.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Oh yeah, this definitely happens on BOTH sides. I see posts here (and elsewhere) where "skinny" girls (putting labels in quotes bc I don't like them but don't know how else to say this) talk about how "fat" girls (and guys!) make them physically ill and that they must all be lazy a$$es etc. Then I also see "bigger" girls talking about how "skinny" girls need to eat a sandwich or that they "aren't real women" because they don't have curves or whatever.

Uh... okay? It's messed up both ways.

It's kind of weird, and hopefully this isn't a rude thought in and of itself, but it seems like bigger girls on the net will trash skinny girls, but in real life,they act more straight-up jealous. When people meet the friends that I have that are really skinny, they *always* make comments about being jealous of her. Like *every* time my friends meet a certain friend of mine they are like "So and so is so skinny, I hate her" (in that kind of sarcastic way). (And, literally, I can count the number of girls who have said this on both hands...)

My thing is, maybe they are trying to pay her a compliment, but why hate her? Why not love her and be happy for her that she is awesome AND skinny?

I have, myself, been both in the "plus size" area, and the really fit/skinny area. And, yes, people, male and female, treat you in different ways. It's weird.

Right now I'm in a weird not fat/not skinny limbo, so I guess that makes me neutral. Or fat in denial? Lol!
    Either way, I think that society as a whole cares too much about a woman's size.