Snack Ideas?

Options
aejohnson7
aejohnson7 Posts: 13 Member
So I'm finding that my worst time of day is right when I get home. I have ruined so many good days because I am ravenous and will eat almost anything I can get in my mouth quickly. Can anyone suggest good snacks that will take the edge off until dinner? I tried 100 calorie popcorn bags, but found that I was still pretty hungry after that.

Replies

• Tlove1111
    Tlove1111 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I just made these today and they were relly good! I used 1 zucchini and was very satisfied :)

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=2718
  • bhug918
    bhug918 Posts: 23
    Options
    Try an apple with a little peanut butter or pita chips and humus?
  • nakedsun
    nakedsun Posts: 115
    Options
    I keep the 100 calorie thinsation cookies in my house or skinny cow mini fudge ice cream to help with a sweet tooth snack.

Having easy to grab fruit (already cut up or easy to bite into) such as apples or bananas.

I really like having almonds handy or carrots too.
  • jkmcfar1
    jkmcfar1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Caramel rice cake with natural peanut butter spread on it. I eat it for breakfast x 2.
  • sandraDallas
    Options
  • heidihurl
    heidihurl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    We have a "snack" cabinet in our house... it's the first place I run to! Everything from chips, crackers, candy, nuts.... ugh...
    So, today I didn't go home until it was time to cook dinner... seems to be the best way to keep away from the snacks!!!!!
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    A small salad with light or fat free salad dressing is always a good choice, or a yogurt. And anything in the Thinsations line works for me, because if you're still hungry after one, you can go back for seconds, because they're not just low cal, but low fat too, making them no-guilt!!! I keep a stash of different ones so I always have something to choose from. :wink:
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Pecans, Almonds, etc. they really satisfy me and keep me full longer than eating popcorn or whatever. Although I love popcorn.
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    When I'm really hungry and it isn't time for dinner, the only thing that helps my appetite is something super high in protein. That's the key for me...or fiber. I love the 90 calorie greek yogers (i forget the brand, but they come in a 4 pack). they have so much protein and taste SO good! I also love fiber plus bars. Sometimes I have cereal (like peanut butter cheerie-os) with 1/2 cup of almond milk. I LOVE ALMOND MILK! only 40 calories per cup and it's sooo creamy and delicious!!!
  • aejohnson7
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! @Marcia, I think you're right about the protein. That's probably why popcorn doesn't do it for me. I'll have to look for those yogurts and maybe even keep them in my fridge at work to have before I even leave.

Also, has anyone had almond butter? I have heard that it's high in protein but lower in calories than PB, but wasn't sure if it tasted as good....
  • anoroc751
    anoroc751 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am curious. How many meals are you eating each day. Meals don't have to be big formal sit downs.

If you are that hungry than you probably need to eat more often. It could be small meals of whatever you are eating already but just spread it out throughout the day. I think if you do this you will reduce cravings and when you get home this could be one of your snacks.

I hope this helps.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! @Marcia, I think you're right about the protein. That's probably why popcorn doesn't do it for me. I'll have to look for those yogurts and maybe even keep them in my fridge at work to have before I even leave.

Also, has anyone had almond butter? I have heard that it's high in protein but lower in calories than PB, but wasn't sure if it tasted as good....

Almond Butter is amazing, I actually like it better than Peanut Butter it's milder tasting.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Animal crackers, Kashi Go Lean Bar, Fiber One Plus Antioxidant Bar, Almonds, Cliff Bar, or any fruit.
  • mung222
    mung222 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Almond Butter is amazing, I actually like it better than Peanut Butter it's milder tasting.

I'm obsessed with Almond butter. I discovered that if you put a tbsp in a 1/2 cup of french vanilla yogurt and mix it really well that it tastes like peanut butter ice cream. I just froze some last night to see if it freezes well.
  • aejohnson7
    Options
    Oh man, that sounds excellent.

I am a teacher, so unfortunately I am pretty limited to when I can take snack breaks. Honestly, that's one of my biggest issues. I eat breakfast around 6:30 and then don't have a break again until 11:30, then go until 3. Maybe I need to be more pointed about adding more protein to my meals...