HELP! Both my scales say different weight!

Options
Bumdrahp
Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
Ok, so I weighed myself on a digital scale, and a regular scale. They both read differently and I have no idea which is truley more reliable. I was told digital but I have also heard those are not reliable at all.. One says the same weight.. one says almost two lbs less!

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I would say digital tend to be the most consistent, but in the end it doesn't really matter which one is "right" pick one scale and stick with it, then just watch for the downward trend.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    No, I understand that. But I just bought the digital because I found it hard to believe I still hadn't lost a single lb.. so I wanted to see ounces too.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my two scales. I decided I should weigh on my digitals, since it gives me a higher reading. But I was driving myself crazy with multiple weighings in a day! Now, I weigh maybe once a week. I guess it was a phase I went thru. Now I'm more in-tune with tape-measure readings than I am with scale readings.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Stick with the digital then, stop looking at the analog one, two different scales is just going to confuse things. Don't forget though, when looking at small amounts like ounces they go up and down a lot anyway, so don't weigh to often and look for just a general longterm downward trend.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter....just use one and when it moves down you've lost weight.
  • ahubacek
    ahubacek Posts: 135
    Options
    Do you have hand weights or something that you know that weight of? It'd give you an idea of which one is more accurate if you could weight something on each.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I'd just pick one scale and stick with that. It doesnt matter really though - and I say that for two reasons:

1. Sticking with one scale will show you progress in your weight loss, whether it is a little higher or lower than your real rate doesn't really matter, as long as it measures consistently.

2. Weight (or mass more accurately) is only a guide. People get too hung up on the numbers on the scale. Want to lose 'weight' go weigh yourself on the moon - wow, that'll get results :P

My advice, take regular pics and measurements. Seeing your body change composition and feeling clothes fit better etc are much better measures of success than an arbitrary number at your feet. Also, never lose sight of the fact that your health is most important, I like to view fat loss is a happy side effect of increased health!

:flowerforyou:
  • anoroc751
    anoroc751 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Stick to digital and only weigth yourself no more than twice per week. Any more than that will send you on an emotional roller coaster as weight will naturally go up and down day to day. Good luck
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    K was just wondering which one would be more reliable. Thanks though. I'm just starting my lifestyle change and don't have all the essentials just yet. A hrm and tape measure along with many other things are on my list o must-buys. I do appreciate the input though.. thanks guys :flowerforyou:
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Stick to YOUR digital scale. Dont be trying out different ones. Stick to one, if you start to see if you are different on another scale. You might be, making it turn into an issue. You can start obsessing over it, get upset if you weigh more or less on the other scale, etc. Better to save yourself the hassle and use one digital scale.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    pick the one with the lowest weight and chalk the other one as being 'broken.'
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    pick the one with the lowest weight and chalk the other one as being 'broken.'

Haha! Was thinking of this already :)
  • HealthyAlison
    HealthyAlison Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You'd have to check using weight standards to know which is correct.

A while back I took a tour of the place where the official time is kept using about a dozen atomic clocks. They can tell if any one is slightly off. The tour guide said something that applies to your question: If you have one clock you know what time it is. If you have more than one you never really know.

You're almost certainly never going to know which scale is correct. Pick one. Replace the batteries. Read in the manual how to reset it. Mine requires that after replacing the batteries you get on and then off right away after it starts to display. This causes an internal adjustment. Stick with the same scale. You're probably interested in loss, not the exact weight, right?

Yes, I am a geeky scientist. :smile:
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    You'd have to check using weight standards to know which is correct.

A while back I took a tour of the place where the official time is kept using about a dozen atomic clocks. They can tell if any one is slightly off. The tour guide said something that applies to your question: If you have one clock you know what time it is. If you have more than one you never really know.

You're almost certainly never going to know which scale is correct. Pick one. Replace the batteries. Read in the manual how to reset it. Mine requires that after replacing the batteries you get on and then off right away after it starts to display. This causes an internal adjustment. Stick with the same scale. You're probably interested in loss, not the exact weight, right?

Yes, I am a geeky scientist. :smile:

:) yeah I am just interested in loss. Lots of it. I don't plan on always weighing with two scales. I bought the digital because I wanted that one for myself, my boyfriend prefers the regular one. i'll be sticking with my digital.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Weigh a dumbbell on both scales and see if they both give you the same weight or close enough. Example. A 5 pound dumbbell may read 5.2. If both scales read the same or close, then it could be the way you are standing on both scales. Are you weighing yourself on both scale in the same condition?
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    Weigh a dumbbell on both scales and see if they both give you the same weight or close enough. Example. A 5 pound dumbbell may read 5.2. If both scales read the same or close, then it could be the way you are standing on both scales. Are you weighing yourself on both scale in the same condition?

I dont have any weights at home so, that wont be something I can try haha. Yes I a standing the same way.. I guess it really doesn't matter, I just got exited that one was a little less than the other.
  • N_Bridgeman
    N_Bridgeman Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    They say "A Man With One Watch Knows What Time it is; a Man With Two Watches is Never Quite Sure"
  • chellefatfree
    chellefatfree Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue between my digital scale and my Wii Fit.....my Wii Fit shows me as a couple pounds less than the bathroom one. So I just weighed a 4 KGM bag of sugar on my digital scale and it showed it as 9 LBS...so it is pretty accurate! :noway: Hmmm interesting!
  • strawberry904
    Options
    digital is i believe..the scales at my aunts house did the exact same. the regular one said i lost 36lbs while the digital said i lost 18...wen the regular one is off u have to recaliberate it but wen the digital one is off it recaliberate itself. read the diretions on ur digital (if u still have them) to see how to recaliberate either one of the scales. my digital one i just have to tap the right side :)
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options

I dont have any weights at home so, that wont be something I can try haha. Yes I a standing the same way.. I guess it really doesn't matter, I just got exited that one was a little less than the other.

Then weigh something that has weight, such as a bag of sugar, flour, rice or a can of vegetable. The scales should pick up the items weight. Make sure when you weigh yourself using the rotating dial bathroom scale that it's set to zero. That scale might be broke.