How will my 100 pound weight loss affect my tattoo?

Options
I have a tattoo on my lower calf, and I'm worried that when I lose 100 pounds that it'll become deformed. I realize that there is hardly any fat in this area, but I don't know how thin my legs will become and if the fat will be replaced by muscle. Does anyone here have any experience with this? Or pictures of befores and afters?

Here is a picture of my tattoo:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/dsc00215vi.jpg/

Replies

• zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    My back has fared fine-- that said, those were smaller tattoos and I'm not quite sure how my newer, large back tattoos will look once my weight loss is complete, but after 27 lbs, they're fine. Keep it well moisturized and maybe use a firming lotion.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be fine, I have a 10 inch tattoo on my stomach that still looks pretty decent after losing 150 lbs.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I know next to nothing on Tattoos and weight loss... as I don't have any...

but, my brother's... only shrank a little.

here is an article that might help calm your nerves

http://tattoo.about.com/od/tatfaq/a/weight_flux.htm
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    all of my tattoos still look good after losing 111lbs.
  • kdelost630
    kdelost630 Posts: 199
    Options
    I have a tattoo on my left forearm and have lost close to 30 lbs since getting it. It has shrunk a little and puffed up a bit, but it still looks good. Actually got darker, too, so it looks newer again! Ha.
  • TheMissingSock
    Options
    Do any of you have armbands? I'm a little nervous about what my band will look like...so far so good, but i still have a ways to go.
  • gwild0r
    gwild0r Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have a tattoo on my calf.. and i've lost almost 100 lbs.. it still looks the same.. I have to imagine your calves must be pretty buff already from having to carry your extra body weight around..
  • cherryrush
    cherryrush Posts: 12
    Options
    all of my tattoos still look good after losing 111lbs.

Mind showing me a picture? :)
  • cherryrush
    cherryrush Posts: 12
    Options
    I have a tattoo on my calf.. and i've lost almost 100 lbs.. it still looks the same.. I have to imagine your calves must be pretty buff already from having to carry your extra body weight around..
    Do you have pictures? :)
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Mine has stayed basically the same lol. Except it just looks like it fits my wrist better than it did before. Weight loss is good to tattoos as far as I know :) When my brother lost a lot of weight the one on his upper arm seemed to look rejuvinated and fit his arm better.
  • kfarall
    kfarall Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It will probably be just fine, you can always consult your tattoo artist to ask of any suggestions. Quite honestly tho, after losing 100lbs, you will be MORE than happy to get it touched up or covered up or anything else that comes along if need be. That will be such an amazing accomplishment you won't care ;)
  • tat2oodmonster
    Options
    my husband is a tattoo artist and I have alot of tattoos. The only areas that really get affected with weight loss is the stomach, upper thighs and upper arms if theri is loose skin underneath. Your calf should be fine :-)
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Typically, tattoos do worse when the skin stretches than when it shrinks. I've got one on my hip that faded because it got stretched out a bit when I gained. As I lose, I'm making plans to have the color re-touched to brighten it and make it more solid. If anything, some lines might blur, but you shouldn't lose a lot of detail with weight loss unless you become a bag of bones.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine has a detailed knot work design across her upper arm, and she lost a significant amount of weight (her arms changed a lot)...the tattoo ended up looking better! It shrank proportionally, and got a teensy bit darker. It looks gorgeous.
  • joceee07
    joceee07 Posts: 1
    Options
    I want to get a dream catcher on my thigh if I loose weight will it be affected?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!