beans - help!

Options
Hey - I'm from a family who doesn't eat beans, but I'm trying to increase my fiber intake and I want to incorporate beans into my diet. Anyone have advice/recipes? Lol, I don't know anything about what kind goes where or how to cook them... Thanks!!!

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    My bean of choice is black beans. I buy the Mrs. Grimes no salt added kind. I eat them plain right from the can. I do rinse them of course!! I put them in omelets, salads, I mashed some up the other day with a little avocado and made a paste spread for my turkey tortilla wrap. I even eat them plain and cold.

I also like lima beans too, but generally only eat those when I buy the frozen mixed bag veggies. I also of course like chili and kidney beans, in chili.

You can do a variety of things with beans, from eating them plain and cold to making soups with them or using them in things like lasagna.

Now for something as simple as green beans, you can steam or sautee them. I don't used canned though, fresh or frozen only. Add a little pepper or whatever spice you like and cook them up.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Concur with the black beans as my top choice too. I also enjoy pinto, kidney, and garbanzo. I use them in everything from on my salads, to mixing with tuna and hummus, adding them to premade soups, etc.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I buy good old fashioned Rach Style Beans with jalapenoes. Have some to eat at lunch today with my chicken. They come in a can so you just heat them up. I put some Louisiana Hot Sauce on them to make them extra spicy. But I also like black beans, and kidney beans. I even eat some baked beans but not as much as they usually have a lot more sugar in them. Maybe just try some of the canned kinds to see what you like. They are probably all less than a buck a can.
  • bunnygirl1978
    bunnygirl1978 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just be careful with baked beans as they are packed with salt and sugar
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If you really don't want to know you are eating them, puree them and put them into soups, stews and chilli, turkey burgers and meatloaf.
  • ladylonglegs21
    ladylonglegs21 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!! I will have to try these ideas. :smile:

I got a can of Great Northern Beans, rinsed them, and put them in a breakfast burrito the other day, which was yummy. They didn't have much of a flavor, so I didn't really notice them.
  • ladylonglegs21
    ladylonglegs21 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I tried the bush black beans tonight -you guys were right! they are good just rinsed... I ended up putting some on my nacho's too. thanks!
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I like to add a scoop of salsa to black beans.Gives them a nice zing!
  • jworb
    jworb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love black beans with a little salsa, fat free sour cream and (if i have the calories/fat) a little shredded cheese. yummy! You might also try lentils - I LOVE lentil soup, but usually buy canned because I have had trouble making it tasty from scratch.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    If you like brownies, substitute black beans (rinsed and mashed) for the oil, can't even tell they're in the mix.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I buy all of my beans dry. It's cheaper, soaking them is easy, and there's no added salt.
    My husband even freezes them after he soaks / boils them when he's not going to use them right away.
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If you're not watching sodium, McCormicks White Chili packet is great - just follow the directions.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Easiest way to cook them is in the slow cooker or crock pot. Just put the beans in, fill with water, let it cook on low until the beans are soft and edible. This usually takes 8-10 hours. Just set up the crock pot then come home.

You can store the cooked beans (drain off liquid) in tupperware after they cook and use as side dishes or meals, in tacos, on salads, mixed with corn and cilantro and tomato for salsa, whatever you want.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    black or refried beans with cheese, sourcream/plain greek yogurt, and peppers with salsa, nom nom nom
  • lilsuz77
    lilsuz77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is soft shell tacos. I use black beans and just heat them up in the microwave for a minute but you can eat them cold if you want. I also like to use the high fiber whole wheat flour tortillas. I put the tortilla on a paper plate and heat that up for 25 seconds. and then I just fix them like a regular taco with lettuce cheese tomatoes, taco sauce and you can add onions if you want or black olives or anything you like. . I just measure everything out so I know how much I am eating. Delicious!

I also like red kidney beans or garbanzo beans on salad. I just rinse them and use them right out of the can. Then I add all of my favorites to my salad like black olives, cucumbers, radishes, baby carrots, fresh mushrooms, baby tomatoes, red onion, and for some protein. cheese, and turkey breast lunch meat (or go get it in the deli) Then for dressing I really like the Light Paul Newman Balsamic dressing, Low calorie and really good.

Hope that helps!
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    I just updated the site with some beans recipe :) Check it out and let me know when you making them and that how it turned out.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Black beans are my favorite! I'll eat them in salads, soups, on nachos, etc...

I like to make black bean tacos. Heat up some (rinsed) beans and season with taco seasoning. Then make tacos with the beans instead of (or in addition to) the meat! Seriously so good, I have to say I like black bean tacos even better than regular ground beef tacos! :D
  • pfarley68
    pfarley68 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Great ideas so far. I make split pea soup in the crock pot and use it as a potato topping.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm big on rice and beans so anytime I'm eating rice, I just put a can of drained and washed can of black beans in it with some tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice and you got yourself some nice rice with beans.

Also, you can always go the route of lentil soups too
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I had a huge pile of lentils for dinner tonight- They are high in fiber and protein and, SUPER easy to make and cheap.

Dried ones don't require soaking and only cost like $1.13 for 9 servings (each serving has 15g fiber and 13g protein!)

You make them just like rice- 2 parts water per 1 part lentils, boil then simmer for 15 minutes to 30 minutes depending on how soft you like them, TonightI had them with olive oil, lemon juice, a splash of apple cider vinegar and some Mediterranean spices and served over a bed of baby spinach.

Here's some other good recipes:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/01/lentil-recipes_n_1070678.html#s448505&title=French_Lentils_With