30 DS question

Options
Are we seriously not supposed to take a rest day with this program? I am not only doing 30DS. I am combining it with other things- either walking/running, stationary bike, or other workout videos. I like the program. It goes quick and really makes me sweat and grunt lol. Afterwards my pony tail is half out and I am just a mess. Jillian says the right things every time I want to quit. However, the speed of the video doesn't allow much time to make sure form is correct.

Today I had a lot of pain. And it was not the normal pain where you can tell it is just a strain on the muscle from working it. I definitely pulled or tore something in my back.

The weights I am using might be too heavy (4 lbs?), strength iputs a beating on me. I am okay with this but I just am shocked that rest days for muscles to repair are not built into the program?

Has anyone taken rest days with this and still seen results? Am I just being a baby to think that every 3 or 4 days my body might need to switch things up?

Replies

• princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have read so many threads about what frequency to do 30DS, and the answers are so varied. Some do 30 days straight, some do M-F, some do 2 days shred followed by 1 day cardio followed by 2 more days of shred followed by another day of cardio then a rest day, some do a mix of different levels or workouts...

I did day 7 of level 1 yesterday, and I've had a couple of days in there where I couldn't do it because of 12-hour work days. I'm definitely seeing and feeling results, though! Don't hurt yourself more. If your body needs time to heal, take it. Listen to your body, and search the forums to see how others have done the program. You can always start again when you're feeling better, and that is so much healthier than causing yourself further injury! Also, I'm considering using my heavier weights for a couple of the moves but sticking to the lighter ones on others. I can't imagine doing those side lunges with anteriors raises with 4 lbs...mine are only 3 lbs and I wish they were lighter! LOL

Good luck, and take care of yourself!
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    That is the move that kills me. It is also tough to do the squats where you lift over your head. At first it is okay, but the second time around my arms feel like they will fall off lol.
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    As the pp said, everyone seems to do it slightly different. I, like you, do other physucal activities so don't feel I need to do it everyday, and I also normally stick a few rest days in.

I put my back out on about day 6 of level 1 and had to take 3 days off and since then have taken 2 days off a week. I am now on day 3 of level two and I can still see a difference. I've dropped a pant size and my tummy has gotten smaller!!

I normally aim to fit in 3 gym visits and one yoga a week alongside 5 shreds and it works for me.

See how you get on. I find after my rest day I can push myself a lot harder when I return to shred. xx
  • tlp148
    tlp148 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am ok for a few days then my knee and shoulder are telling me it is time for a rest day. I have seen great results and lost almost 2 pant sizes in the waist over the last 30 days. With my day or two a week rest I am making mine a 45 day Shred instead of 30 days but still achieving results and that is what matters most to me. I have also added in other activities like hiking, eliptical, additional strength/weight exercises. As others have said, listen to your body.

14306103.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I did 30 DS only. I did it 6 days a week. Now onto Ripped in 30. Wk 3 is kicking my butt.
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Mom2M_and_O Posts: 214
    Options
    I was doing it everyday through phase 2 and then dropped back to 2 days/1 day cardio/2 days/1 day cardio/rest. I liked that MUCH better especially given how challenging phase 3 was. And in hindsight I think that was the smarter way to go. I may revisit the program when i finish P90x, and if I do, that's the schedule I'll follow.
  • ckenning
    ckenning Posts: 71
    Options
    That is the move that kills me. It is also tough to do the squats where you lift over your head. At first it is okay, but the second time around my arms feel like they will fall off lol.

That move is also very hard for me. I've started it twice...I like it alot and have seen some pretty good results. The second time I had to stop halfway through level 2 -- with all the push-ups I somehow strained my left elbow. I'm thinking of starting that back up again soon.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Of course you can take days off! I belong to a Run Club so I also run 2-3 days a week. I think I completed 30 DS in 40 days...

Btw, I'm doing Ripped In 30 now, one of her other DVDs, and love that one, too! I'm also training for a half-marathon so that's taking more like 45-50 days!!!

30-day-shred-results-03.jpg
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've done the video off and on for a while now. New school schedule got in the way of any type of routine. I am doing it now and my workout plan is to do 30DS at least 4 times a week. I'm not being strict on myself as to what 4 days...just has to be 4 days. I also run a lot. On Tuesday and today I did the video in the morning and I'm running after work. Do whats best for you.

I never heard it personally, but I read in a couple forums that Jillian was on a podcast as said she had no intent for you to do the whole 30 days straight through. I read that a couple of times. I'm also friends with a couple of people who have done it and NONE of them have done it for 30 days straight through.

I think it depends on how you feel and if you are doing other exercises in addition to the video. Good luck!
  • ebonyhart
    ebonyhart Posts: 9
    Options
    I take days of because i like to do different things I walk everyday, I do zumba, cardio boxing and the shred oh and stationary biking, so its something different everyday, I had been told told that if you do to much of the same thing your body can get used to it...... dont know how true that is but Im keeping my body on its toes so the point is that your doing something so either way you will see results eventually so keep at it, and your not being a baby my legs are so sore today I am walking like a duck so Ive only managed to do alot of walking very stiff walking at that, but walking :)
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options
    Do what you think is best for you. I'm combining 30DS with a couple of selected Turbo Fire workouts. I do the shred on mondays, wednesdays and thursdays only. I like to give my muscles time to recover
  • bray2160
    bray2160 Posts: 12
    Options
    Personally, I like P90X more than any other weight loss product because it's convenient. I can use it at my leisure and it's probably one of the only programs that I've actually seen work. I know people who are currently on the system and have lost tons of weight. Their bodies are more defined as well.

For those of you who may be interested in getting in shape, you can get P90X for $65 at http://www.squidoo.com/where-can-i-buy-p90x also read the comments in the guestbook section to see that this place is legit.