Exercise Free Days

Options
Does anyone have exercise free days? If so, how many. By exercise free, I mean absolutely nothing, not even a light stroll. Ive smashed it out at the gym last three days and would love a rest day tmro but I feel guilty. My plan was to have an exercise free day every 4th day.....but even thinking about it I feel bad.

Replies

• heyitsmegxx
    heyitsmegxx Posts: 444
    Options
    Nope. I work out 7 days a week. If I don't work out, I feel defeated, fat, and am just not in a good mood if I miss a day.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Every Sunday, for me. It's my chance for my body to recover and recharge, and I usually see my most accurate weight after it, so I've made my official weigh-in a Monday morning.
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    There are days that I'm not always able to make it to the gym. I don't feel guilty anymore because I work my butt off on the days that I do exercise. On the days that I don't exercise, I try to make sure that I stick as closely to my calories as possible.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    I LOVE to exercise but I do have some exercise-free days. To be honest, I don't really plan rest days, though, I just wait for them to happen. I've been really busy traveling and doing stuff in the evening for work lately, so sometimes I miss a day and don't sweat it, and I count that as my "rest day."

Or sometimes if, after a streak of days of hitting the weights *really* hard, my body just tell me it's been enough! If you're feeling really *physically* wiped out, take a rest day and don't feel bad!! xx
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    I LOVE to exercise but I do have some exercise-free days. To be honest, I don't really plan rest days, though, I just wait for them to happen. I've been really busy traveling and doing stuff in the evening for work lately, so sometimes I miss a day and don't sweat it, and I count that as my "rest day."

Or sometimes if, after a streak of days of hitting the weights *really* hard, my body just tell me it's been enough! If you're feeling really *physically* wiped out, take a rest day and don't feel bad!! xx

Thankyou :-))
  • LynC33
    Options
    Well done to those who can soldier on 7 days a week. You are machines!!! :-)
  • emmamcblain
    emmamcblain Posts: 342
    Options
    Nope. I work out 7 days a week. If I don't work out, I feel defeated, fat, and am just not in a good mood if I miss a day.

That's kind of a bad mindset. You shouldn't feel bad if you're giving your body a good workout, especially everyday. You do have to give yourself a rest day as well. Good dedication though.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    The trainer at my gym says that nobody should be working out 7 days a week and that rest days are as important as workout days to allow muscles to heal and develop.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I try to have a day off but I feel lazy and like its a day wasted even though I know its vital and my body needs rest. If I cant handle not going for one day I just go for a light walk so I feel like I have at least done something
  • HayleyMcFadden
    Options
    I absolutely have exercise free days! If not, your body doesn't have time to recover and recuperate. It needs to rest. Also, when I first started my journey to lose weight I was working out 7 days a week and unfortunately in the long run it burnt me out and I now have a recurring injury to my knee. Listen to your body and you'll be fine!
  • jailee813
    jailee813 Posts: 29
    Options
    The trainer at my gym says that nobody should be working out 7 days a week and that rest days are as important as workout days to allow muscles to heal and develop.

^^^^ This

You have to allow for rest days, they are just as important as the work out. They are hard for me too tho, and sometimes I feel guilty, but I've had to get over that feeling because I realized that it's just not true. Giving myself a time to rest is just as important as kicking butt in the gym.
  • Phoenix_Angel
    Options
    Y'all just convinced me to take the day off. Thanks! My quads hurt in a weird and uncomfortable way and it happens to be legs day. Maybe I'll just do some light stretching.
  • elekelk
    elekelk Posts: 107
    Options
    I also feel really lazy and I have no wiggle room for my calories those days. I used to have two days resting but i recently made it one that I take when I feel like I need it.
  • Ti_Kao_Loi
    Ti_Kao_Loi Posts: 4
    Options
    Take that rest day! Giving your body time to recover is just as important as the exercise itself, and certainly not something you should feel guilty about (as long as you don't take that opportunity to indulge and eat over your calorie allowance).

If you never let your body recover properly then you will run the risk of chronic fatigue and over-training syndrome. The day of rest will allow your body to adapt to your level of exercise, and will draw on energy stores (which is why the diet is key) to replenish muscle tissues. This is all a vital part of your long term goals, and you will actually become a lot fitter a lot sooner because of it.

Rest time is commonly overlooked when setting a diet/training plan. We all know that eating healthy and regular exercise are critical components to master in order to lose weight, but rather than having a dual focus on these elements, it is important to remember that giving your body recovery time (sufficient sleep at night and that day off once every 3/4 days) is just as important a piece in the overall fitness puzzle.

Diet Hard, Train Hard, Rest Hard! :)
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have been told by a couple of people to have a 1 rest day every 3 or so days ... i personally find that if i have more than one day in a row then i find it hard to get back on track so one day at a time is good for me.
  • jdforshort
    jdforshort Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I plan Sat & Sun as free days but if I skip a day during the week, I try and make up over the weekend. I too feel slightly guilty but tell my self that body needs the rest. Definitely stick to Cal/Carb count!
  • LynC33
    Options
    I found this on the internet

Rest Is Best

In order to get fitter or improve in sport, the body needs to be exposed to stresses (i.e. training or exercise), once this has happened, the body then needs time to adapt to the stresses and for this there must be a period of recovery. Rest and recovery are also important in prevention of injuries.
    New to Exercise

If you’re just starting out in exercise, it’s important that you build into it slowly to allow you’re body to adapt to the demands of sport. Maybe try exercising on two consecutive days, but have a rest on the third day. If you just keep going, without any rest, your body will soon start to fatigue and you’ll find it difficult to complete any exercise sessions.

I know I wont feel guilty now cos my body needs it. Thanks for all the feedback xx
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I used to do 3 days of HARD workouts per week (burning 2.5k+ calories). 2-3 days in between of taking a small walk for 20-30 minutes (burning maybe 150 calories) but those werent really something I counted. I always have atleast 1 day a week I don't do anything besides going from bed to my computer to kitchen to restroom and back and forth.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    I work out with a personal trainer. I work out 3 to 5 days a week, that makes 2 to 4 rest days per week. And I have 2 rest weeks every 3 to 4 months too, that time I don't exercise at all for 2 weeks.

So rest days are a must if you want to have results, and keep motivation!
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have at least 2 rest days a week... generally I hit the gym for 3hrs a day (up to 6hrs on Tuesday usually!) Rest days are important to weight loss, just as working out and eating healthy are.