Pilates?

Options
I've been thinking about what kind of workouts I'd like to try.
I'm doing a 12 week jogging plan and I'm going to finish it but after that I think I want to try something else. I really am not enjoying running very much :(

I was thinking about pilates. From what I gather it's good for building strength and gaining flexibility. I definitely want to tone up.

For those of you who have tried it, do you find pilates helps with overall weight loss? Do you enjoy the exercises?

Replies

• cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I use to do pilates. It really works your core which is great... but sometimes I found it repetitive. I have a short attention span though. You should at least try it!
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I used to do pilates, & I've been thinking about including it into my workouts. My mom gave me a bunch of Windsor pilates DVD's that she had. I don't remember it being a huge factor in weight loss, but I remember certain area's getting tighter & more lean.
  • MummieCookie
    Options
    I started doing pilates almost 2 years ago when I had health problems and couldn't face exercise and it has certainly helped with back problems I used to suffer from, improved my posture and toned my saggy bits. I am not sure it helps with weight loss but it helps your body change shape. My health problems are over (thanks to an amazing cardiologist) and I have been doing step and aerobics classes for 6 months now but I still keep my pilates up as it makes me feel good and improves my core etc. Please give it a try but give it a few weeks as not everyone "gets it" at first and thinks it is having no benefit.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I do Pilates - it's slow and I find it a bit boring. The day after I do it my tummy muscles all ache - it works them quite hard, but I don't think it's an enormous fat-burner. It's the opposite to Zumba which burns fat with dance-y moves. Perhaps you could do a class of each to get both benefits.
    Some people love Pilates - why not give it a try (several weeks, so you get used to it) and see if you're one of them. If yoga is your thing it might be the sort of class you'd like.
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Not what you asked, but if you are bored with running... Something to change it up from a standard pacing running, interval running. This changes your paces up, keeps you mentally focused, puts you into a more competitive gear to push yourself each time, and also helps burn fat a bit better. Interval is something I am thinking about adding to my routine very soon, I may eventually get into HIIT running.