almost at goal weight, NOT almost at goal size....?

Options
I don't have much left to lose which I am thrilled about but I am starting to wonder about the inches.

As of today I am at 118.5lbs, and in my formerly (very) fit life 113-115 was a good, healthy weight for me. At that time, however, I was 6-7 years younger and had not yet had children. I understand that with age and a pregnancy my body will have changed. That said, my goal weight was loosely targeted at 115 but the inches are really my focus, not so much the number on the scale at this stage.

What I can't figure out is where/when the inches will come off. I measure my waist in the same place each time - right across my belly button - and that measurement is not changing. My jeans do not fit any looser around my thighs. My hip and bust measurements also are static - for 2 months.
Currently: B:34 - W:31 - H:35

I am really pleased to see the scale, however slowly, moving in the right direction but am wondering how low I'll need to go to get this jiggly fat off of my midsection and thighs. The fat in those areas was definitely 'first on' so I know it's hanging on for dear life, I'm just wondering if 3-4 more pounds lost is going to equal those inches.

has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Replies

• pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    OMG, same here too. I thought I was the only one. The scale indicated that I've lost 15lbs, but when i measured my waist, arms, legs, nothing has changed yet. Like you I also have children. I have about 18lbs to lose before I get to my goal weight though. I'm at 130 right now. UGH, so frustrating.
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    One thing I might add is that you may have most likely lost muscle mass during pregnancy - this is very common.

Before pregnancy, I had a lean mass of 117 lbs, and after my second baby it came up as 110 lbs lean mass - I had lost 7 lbs of muscle!!! Is it possible - my doctor says, "Absolutely" and that it is quite common.

I am almost back to my pre-pregnancy weight, but I am not almost back to my size and shape! I have to build more muscle and lose more fat!

Good luck!
    :flowerforyou:
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you experienced a seperation of your abdominal muscles (diastisis recti) during pregnancy - they could be weakened and it could take a long time to get them back in shape.

Also - is it fat around your middle - or extra skin? A lot of women loose skin elasticity after having kids and, unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to reverse it. I know my stomach will never be able to be flat again because of this.

I wish you luck! I am in the same boat but I have about 28 lbs to lose here!
  • SunsetRanch
    SunsetRanch Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know my lean muscle mass. How do you determine this number?
  • annaliza
    Options
    You didn't mention exercise....are you exercising or just eating less to lose weight?
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments. The lost muscle mass during pregnancy is very interesting - I had no idea! The comment about reaching pre-pregnancy weight but not shape hit home - thanks, Betty!

I am eating healthfully and watching calories with a small defecit as I don't have much to lose. I am exercising consistently at at a very high intensity most days. Some days the intensity is lower, for example I went on two fairly easy hikes this weekend with one of my twins on my back (about 21lbs). Most days high intensity. I try to change it up (ie adding in the hiking, other days running).
    I also do strength training, a lot of abs work to tighten those muscles back up, as well as chest, back, shoulders, arms.

There is quite possibly a little extra skin around the middle, but most certainly a bunch of fat. The weight is coming off slowly but surely (about 5lbs in the last 9 weeks or so). I'm just surprised at how much jiggly muffin top is still there when I look at the number on the scale.

I'll keep at it and hopefully the balance of fat vs lean muscle will shift over time and my shape will improve.
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments. The lost muscle mass during pregnancy is very interesting - I had no idea! The comment about reaching pre-pregnancy weight but not shape hit home - thanks, Betty!

I am eating healthfully and watching calories with a small defecit as I don't have much to lose. I am exercising consistently at at a very high intensity most days. Some days the intensity is lower, for example I went on two fairly easy hikes this weekend with one of my twins on my back (about 21lbs). Most days high intensity. I try to change it up (ie adding in the hiking, other days running).
    I also do strength training, a lot of abs work to tighten those muscles back up, as well as chest, back, shoulders, arms.

There is quite possibly a little extra skin around the middle, but most certainly a bunch of fat. The weight is coming off slowly but surely (about 5lbs in the last 9 weeks or so). I'm just surprised at how much jiggly muffin top is still there when I look at the number on the scale.

I'll keep at it and hopefully the balance of fat vs lean muscle will shift over time and my shape will improve.

You will get there! You mentioned your baby is 21lbs - meaning he or she is not even a year yet, is that right? Give yourself some time. About 18 months post partum is when I started really seeing improvement - my tummy was covered in cellulite for the first year after I gave birth!

You are doing great - keep at it - and your body will reshape!
    :flowerforyou:
    Beth