1200 Calories too low? Please help!

Options
When I input all of my info onto MFP it calculated that I needed to eat only 1200 calories a day in order to lose 2 pounds a week. I have been doing this for 3 weeks now but I haven't lost any weight so far (and on the days when I exercise I eat back those calories). But now I've been doing a little research and found that maybe I should be eating more calories, like maybe a total of 1500? What do you guys think?

My BMR is 1445 if that helps...

Thanks!

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Change your goals. you don't have much to lose. When you have only 12 lbs to go 2 lbs a week is too much. You should eat over your BMR (net calories).
  • blueraidermike
    Options
    Make sure you exercising every day for at least 30 minutes...this will naturally allow you to eat more...keep in mind this is NET calories. Also, with 12 pounds to go, I think 1 pound a week is a better strategy.
  • riadastfu
    riadastfu Posts: 69
    Options
    3 weeks is too early to tell imo. Your body might still be adjusting. Wait another week or so before you change anything

Also, are you sure nothing's changing? Because you might be losing fat but gaining muscle, which wont change (or even increase) your scale weight but make your clothes fit better.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Its because you've selected to lose 2lbs a week. If you select .5, 1 or 1.5 you will see the calorie intake will change. You should at least eat your net BMR. Which be the 1445 plus exercise calories. Or you could eat your TDEE cut. I sent you links to two groups with more info.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I think 1200 it too low for anyone. It's not much food and I don't personally think very sustainable. It's the kind of calorie intake that we've all done a million times when we "diet". Our metabolism slows, we lose muscle, we realize it's not much food and start eating a bit more..and then we gain it all back. Unless you're 4ft 11 I'd eat more than that. I use the fat2fitradio.com site for my numbers. It incorporates activity so you don't eat back calories...just the calorie level of your general activity. HTH!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I think 1200 it too low for anyone. It's not much food and I don't personally think very sustainable. It's the kind of calorie intake that we've all done a million times when we "diet". Our metabolism slows, we lose muscle, we realize it's not much food and start eating a bit more..and then we gain it all back. Unless you're 4ft 11 I'd eat more than that. I use the fat2fitradio.com site for my numbers. It incorporates activity so you don't eat back calories...just the calorie level of your general activity. HTH!

This, but with one amendment - Even if you ARE 4ft 11, (like me!) eat more than that.

Another thumbs up for Fat2Fitradio.com.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What they all said. Two pounds a week is ideal for someone with 75 pounds or more to lose. You don't have enough excess body fat to support that much of a calorie deficit, so it seems your body is saying, "WTH is going on? Is there a famine? We better conserve our resources!"

Aim for a half pound a week. Your body will happily let go of any excess fluff. Also get adequate protein and regular exercise including strength training. And be sure to take measurements and photos, and use those to track your progress along with the scale. Sometimes major changes can happen without any actual weight lost.
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Sometimes i manage just under 1240 and other times i really do struggle.
    Thanks for the tip about that other site, i will try looking it up on there
  • bigbits71
    bigbits71 Posts: 9
    Options
    I kept my caloric intake at around 1200 calories a week and I exercised about 3 hours a day and was losing 4-5 pounds a week. In total I lost 90 pounds in less than 4 months. You can do 2 pounds a week if you mix in exercising as well.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I tried eating 1200 calories but wasn't losing any weight. I went up to 1310 and now I am losing at least an average of 1lbs per week. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • CindyBethD
    CindyBethD Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you guys! I'm going to change my settings to 1 pound a week and hopefully that'll change things!

:)
  • CindyBethD
    CindyBethD Posts: 7
    Options
    Its because you've selected to lose 2lbs a week. If you select .5, 1 or 1.5 you will see the calorie intake will change. You should at least eat your net BMR. Which be the 1445 plus exercise calories. Or you could eat your TDEE cut. I sent you links to two groups with more info.

Thanks, I got it! :)
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I kept my caloric intake at around 1200 calories a week and I exercised about 3 hours a day and was losing 4-5 pounds a week. In total I lost 90 pounds in less than 4 months. You can do 2 pounds a week if you mix in exercising as well.

This may have worked for you, but for someone with relatively little to lose it isn't the best plan.
  • violet1993d
    violet1993d Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i have a question. do you eat before or after you work out. or both. what do you eat?
  • Fergie21
    Fergie21 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I eat an hour before and then have a protien shake after.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    My dear .... HELP is on the way !! 1200 is too low - especially long-term. Folks that are heavier can cut down calories and lose weight in the beginning, then the body adjusts and WHOA !

I'm off to the gym, so I don't have time to type TONS .. but I'm gonna send you a link to read up on the subject .. and sending you to a mind-blowing thread I read last night that I think is a MUST READ for everyone.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/584499-has-anyone-lost-a-large-amount-of-weight-eating-more

Have a Great DAy !

Jen

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/harlanJEN

Active member of the forum group EAT MORE TO WEIGH LESS. Check it out ! Educate yourselves!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    eat at least a NET of your BMR calories (net means eat back those calories you earn from exercise). I would even say, set your goal to 1/2lb loss per week since you have (relatively, and according to what your BODY thinks) not too much weight to lose. those pounds are the hardest to coax off.

I know it sounds crazy to eat more to lose weight, but it's worked for me numerous times. I promise. :)

to educate yourself:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo&nbsp
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/580019-the-scale-is-a-lying-torture-device-i-m-proof
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

This may have worked for you, but for someone with relatively little to lose it isn't the best plan.

EXACTLY! Isn't the best plan for nearly anyone .. TRULY : )
  • Farrell76
    Farrell76 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I have 10 pounds of baby weight that I'm trying to lose. Prior to coming on this site, I was eating really healthy, keeping it lower carb, higher protein, and exercising. I was having a hard time keeping my workouts consistent (was trying to go at night after baby went to bed). The scale wasn't budging. I switched to working out in the morning, now I go 5 days a week, and they are intense workouts (my gym has the Les Mills program) so I am doing combination of cardio/weights five days per week. My calories setting is also 1200.

I have been coming in typically at or just under 1200, exercising like crazy... its been two weeks since I switched up my routine. While I have noticed significant changes in my body, definitely toning up, things are looking better, I've only lost ONE pound. I know that when your close to your goal weight, its so much harder to lose, but its SO discouraging. I know its working because my body physically looks different/better, but its so hard to see that number on the scale not budging! I guess I'm just impatient.

But I do wonder if perhaps I need to eat more, and change my settings to lose 1 pound per week instead of 2.

Darn baby weight... I have to keep reminding myself how far I have come in 9 months, but its HARD, I'm impatient!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I have 10 pounds of baby weight that I'm trying to lose. Prior to coming on this site, I was eating really healthy, keeping it lower carb, higher protein, and exercising. I was having a hard time keeping my workouts consistent (was trying to go at night after baby went to bed). The scale wasn't budging. I switched to working out in the morning, now I go 5 days a week, and they are intense workouts (my gym has the Les Mills program) so I am doing combination of cardio/weights five days per week. My calories setting is also 1200.

I have been coming in typically at or just under 1200, exercising like crazy... its been two weeks since I switched up my routine. While I have noticed significant changes in my body, definitely toning up, things are looking better, I've only lost ONE pound. I know that when your close to your goal weight, its so much harder to lose, but its SO discouraging. I know its working because my body physically looks different/better, but its so hard to see that number on the scale not budging! I guess I'm just impatient.

But I do wonder if perhaps I need to eat more, and change my settings to lose 1 pound per week instead of 2.

Darn baby weight... I have to keep reminding myself how far I have come in 9 months, but its HARD, I'm impatient!

2lbs per week is going to be very hard with just 10lbs to go

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Be patient you'll get there. Better to get there at half a lb a week, than to be losing nothing at all.:flowerforyou: