zumba calories

Options
I've just done a zumba dvd for the first time, it was called zumba cardio party and lasted for 50 minutes. I put my stats into a zumba calori burn website and said it was a 45 minute workout so that it didn't overestimate, but it still said I burned 434 calories and I really don't think I did. I was a bit sweaty at the end (not dripping in sweat, but I could tell I'd moved a bit!) but I don't feel like I've done much of a workout. In fact, I don't really feel like I've done any workout at all now that I've finished. I've added it into my diary, but I'm a bit apprehensive as to whether I should eat any of those calories back as it doesn't feel like I earned them. Any input?

Replies

• Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Well you must be in pretty good shape!! I have seen folks log 600 and more calories for zumba. If the site said 434, I'd go with it for today, gage better how you feel tomorrow!! If you aren't sore or anything, then you could figure you didn't work as hard as the zumba sites calorie counter wanted to think you did and you could calculate less calories next time!!
    Did you have fun?? Zumba on...
  • iroze
    iroze Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" and weigh 160 lbs and when I go to my Zumba class I burn around 550-600 calories, so you aren't wrong. My class is an hour; I usually take 10 minutes away for water breaks / time my instructor spends choosing a song to everyone's liking, so that's 50 minutes of non-stop workout. I just hope you're having as much time doing it as I am :)
  • felisel
    felisel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba and I use this website www.zumbacalories.com. Dont know if its accurate but I sure do sweat alot. Im doing the Zumba Concert Party
  • BeautyAndTheGeeks
    Options
    Thanks for the replies folks!
    Well you must be in pretty good shape!! I have seen folks log 600 and more calories for zumba. If the site said 434, I'd go with it for today, gage better how you feel tomorrow!! If you aren't sore or anything, then you could figure you didn't work as hard as the zumba sites calorie counter wanted to think you did and you could calculate less calories next time!!
    Did you have fun?? Zumba on...

I wish I was in good shape, I just felt like most of it was a bit slow for an actual cardio workout. I'll see how I feel tomorrow though!
    I used zumbacalories.com so I got to choose the intensity etc, so I think it should be pretty accurate, it just doesn't feel like I did much. I'll try one of the other dvds in the pack and see how that compares though :).
    I had fun towards the end where it picked up the pace a bit, but honestly I was quite bored for the first 25 minutes. Maybe zumba just isn't for me?
  • RDalton84
    RDalton84 Posts: 207
    Options
    When I do Zumba Wii I burn about 350 in 35 minutes, when I go to a Zumba class it's usually between 600 and 700 for 55 minutes, 434 actually seems pretty accurate
  • GOOD11
    GOOD11 Posts: 1
    Options
    Those numbers I believe are right ,because When I do zumba I can burn anyway from 400 to 600+ calories. Yea and if youre just starting you probably didn't do it exactly right, but u were moving and that counts. So now when you are comfortable with the moves, you will burn about 600 or better calories. And yes, your on the right track:happy: as for as getting fit, you will lose doing ZUMA and eating right and :drinker: plenty of water. In 6 mos I loss down from a size16 to a 10, I fell in love with ZUMBA, it fun Oh Yeah STICK WITH MYFITNESSPAL its GREAT I LOVE IT TOO
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I went to a class last night and burned over 500 for 50 minutes. It's a great workout and fun too.
  • JD830278
    JD830278 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm 207lbs and I burn about 800 cals an hour doing zumba classes (according to that site and using mod activity), but I feel like I want to die at the end and I NEED to shower after. I'm pretty fit even though I'm a big girl, I go to the gym and run for 30mins and either cycle or weight train for 20 mins BEFORE my zumba class.

I didnt like the DVDs. Didnt get the same intensity as I do in a class and I found myself spending more time picking up the steps than actually working out. However if I couldnt get to class I'd use them as a backup... But I wouldn't imagine I'd get the same burn.
  • felisel
    felisel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So you dont recommend the DVDs then. Im debating in getting them. I only have one that came with the wii game. But the game and game consule are in another state.
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor (Polar FT-4, I believe), and my average 60 minute zumba in person class is usually a calorie burning of about 500. (I weigh about 235 now, started at 256) When I do the Wii Zumba at home, it's a bit less... 350-400 for about the same time. I haven't done the DVD's... but the Wii Zumba is pretty good. Live class is better though. I think I push myself more in person when there's people around me... I probably execute the moves a little more thoroughly - so I don't look like a lazy goober :)
  • awarshauer21
    awarshauer21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does anyone do Zumba Toning? I usually do that (along with regular zumba) at least twice a week for thirty minutes with 5 lb. weights in each hand. Does anyone know how many calories are burned typically in one of these classes? thanks!
  • BeautyAndTheGeeks
    Options
    I did the same dvd again today and gave it twice as much effort and was sweating in no time. The problem wasn't the zumba, it was me! I have no doubts that I burned a decent amount of calories now!