Scale Won't Budge :'(

Options
I am not losing weight. In fact, despite being under caloric goal for most days, I gain sometimes.

What am I doing wrong? I'm 5'0" and need to lose approximately 20-25#.

I've been running and bicycling and also trying to fit in calisthenics.

I've been eating my exercise calories – as much as I don't want to.

Replies

• Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can see
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I am not losing weight. In fact, despite being under caloric goal for most days, I gain sometimes.

What am I doing wrong? I'm 5'0" and need to lose approximately 20-25#.

I've been running and bicycling and also trying to fit in calisthenics.

I've been eating my exercise calories – as much as I don't want to.

Not enough information for anyone to help.

You need to open your diary

How much do you weigh now and what is your goal weight?
  • nursedan67
    nursedan67 Posts: 1
    Options
    This may sound like a strange question, but where is the scale that your using and also when are you using it. Try to weigh yourself in the morning, right after you get up. Our bodies can fluctuate during the day and pick up 5 to 10 lbs, depending on what we're doing. If you have your scale at home, and you've had it for a while use a 10 lb weight to recalibrate. Almost all scales have a little nob near the front, that helps you to rezero the scale. If you can't rezero it, then somethings screwy inside and you may need a new scale. Hope that helps. If it's all repeat information, sorry about that. But you'll get there, sounds like your already on the right track, you just may have hit a dry spell and have to diet and exercise through it.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Sorry. It's opened now.

I'm currently 134 and am looking to be 115-110.

Our scale is digital and is on a tile surface since carpet interferes. I'll try to test it with one of my weights. I also only weigh myself in the morning before exercise, drinking or breakfast.
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercises are you doing? Maybe trying and drop your carbs just a little bit and up your protein a bit.
    We all stall, but if you aren't eating enough then your body will indeed go into starvation mode and eat muscle.
  • microburst20
    microburst20 Posts: 130
    Options
    I seem to go for what seems like weeks without losing anything, sometimes I even gain a little. Then all of a sudden I lose 3-4 pounds all in a weeks time. I dont know if thats normal but I am doing the same thing every day calorie wise.
  • Agirard25
    Agirard25 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem! I eat within my calories-I just changed my goal from 2 lbs/ week to 1 lb/ week working off advice of another thread-I have lost 28lbs since Jan. 20th. The past THREE WEEKS have been the same despite exercising and eating pretty well...I admit to occasional choices that could've been better.

I am going to make sure my diary is open and any help/advice would be welcomed! I am at 144 now and have been stuck there, as I said, for three weeks! I feel like I am going nuts! Also, just fyi-I have been doing JM 30DS just about everyday and I DO feel that my pants fit differently and my stomach looks better, ect. I just am not buying into the muscle weighs more than fat theory because I still have plenty of fat to let go of! My goal is to lose another 10 lbs.

Thanks all!
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercises are you doing? Maybe trying and drop your carbs just a little bit and up your protein a bit.
    We all stall, but if you aren't eating enough then your body will indeed go into starvation mode and eat muscle.

I run (treadmill), bicycle (outdoors) and do calisthenics or HIIT.
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The truth is no one has the answer. Unfortunately everyone’s body works differently. I'm sure your doing all the right things your body may just take a little while to catch up.

Its funny how people immediately need to judge your food diary to give you advise. You said you were eating under or calories, weather your eat 1 hamburger a day or 5 lbs fruit and veggies, why does viewing the food diary matter. I’m sure your telling the truth. Be leery of the some of the advise you get on these message boards.

Ask a professional if you’re really concern.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I think you should eat more.
    Options
    I am having the same problem! I eat within my calories-I just changed my goal from 2 lbs/ week to 1 lb/ week working off advice of another thread-I have lost 28lbs since Jan. 20th. The past THREE WEEKS have been the same despite exercising and eating pretty well...I admit to occasional choices that could've been better.

I am going to make sure my diary is open and any help/advice would be welcomed! I am at 144 now and have been stuck there, as I said, for three weeks! I feel like I am going nuts! Also, just fyi-I have been doing JM 30DS just about everyday and I DO feel that my pants fit differently and my stomach looks better, ect. I just am not buying into the muscle weighs more than fat theory because I still have plenty of fat to let go of! My goal is to lose another 10 lbs.

Thanks all!

Muscle does indeed weigh more than fat (well muscle actually takes up less room than fat), but you haven't gained a ton of muscle in such a short period of time. Your muscles do produce a fluid to help repair after tearing them from working out. Just keep going and the weight will come off...but you should take measurements so you can see that you are indeed changing.

I'm 5'4 started at 156 and I am not 136. I don't really worry much about my weight because I lift weights. Think about it like this you have two women both stand at 5'5 one weighs 150 she is muscluar and fit and the other weighs 135 but she is skinny fat meaning has no muscle an basically just looks good in clothes. Who would you rather be? At a certain point weight shouldn't matter, the inches do.
    Options

I run (treadmill), bicycle (outdoors) and do calisthenics or HIIT.
    Just keep going at it...people stall all the time. You have to just keep your head up and not stress about it. Stress is also another factor when it comes to shedding those lbs.
    The truth is no one has the answer. Unfortunately everyone’s body works differently. I'm sure your doing all the right things your body may just take a little while to catch up.

Its funny how people immediately need to judge your food diary to give you advise. You said you were eating under or calories, weather your eat 1 hamburger a day or 5 lbs fruit and veggies, why does viewing the food diary matter. I’m sure your telling the truth. Be leery of the some of the advise you get on these message boards.

Ask a professional if you’re really concern.
    I also agree with this! (:
  • tlhipps
    tlhipps Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been doing the same thing. I won't lose anything and will weigh like I'm gaining during the week despite the same weighing ritual every morning. However, in one day or so I'll lose 2 pounds very randomly. Mathematically, I know I'm losing weight. I've concluded that it is water. I've noticed that when I walk every day my weight stays the same or I "gain". If I don't walk then I see faster results. This doesn't mean I'm going to stop walking. In my opinion, that can only mean one thing...It's just water!
    Options
    Ladies back away from the scale! If you must weigh, weigh yourself once a week!!!
    The scale is NOT everything!
  • sammyjowedeking
    Options
    I dont see the point in eating back exercise calories unless you are trying to maintain your weight. I know a lot of pple say do it but I dont and it works for me. Just mess around with your calories a little. See if lowering or highering them helps. ( your body may actually need more calories to lose weight then what you are taking in and in a starvation type mode) A friend of mine raised her calories by about 200-300 and she actually lost weight

Also try drinking a lot of water. I drink about a gallon of water a day. It takes away any extra water weight and keeps your body flushed of impurities.

Basically, all you can do is mix your diet and workout up until something works. I know it sucks hearing that but its the truth.

I never really pay attention to my macros (except sodium) because in the end its calories in and calories out and honestly if you are eating fruits and vegetables then your body is getting that it needs such as good sugars.

@ Agirard25: Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound just like the old "what weighs more a pound of feathers or a pound of steel?" Muscle however takes up less volume. So you could be losing inches and not pounds. I know when I did 30DS I lost more inches then pounds because you are building lots of muscle. If you want to see a pound loss instead, try switching up your workout to something a little more cardio such as running or Bob Harpers cardio DVD.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You didn't say how long you have been trying to lose weight. It takes the body time to adjust to a new routine. And there will be weight fluctuations for weeks before you settle into a steady loss. If you have been eating under your calories and burning extra with cardio and not losing weight, that could indicate a medical problem. I would recommend seeing a doctor to have medical conditions ruled out.
  • Agirard25
    Options

Thanks all!

Muscle does indeed weigh more than fat, but you haven't gained a ton of muscle in such a short period of time. Your muscles do produce a fluid to help repair after tearing them from working out. Just keep going and the weight will come off...but you should take measurements so you can see that you are indeed changing.

I'm 5'4 started at 156 and I am not 136. I don't really worry much about my weight because I lift weights. Think about it like this you have two women both stand at 5'5 one weighs 150 she is muscluar and fit and the other weighs 135 but she is skinny fat meaning has no muscle an basically just looks good in clothes. Who would you rather be? At a certain point weight shouldn't matter, the inches do.

I do know and understand that I would rather be fit than light! I just also know that since I still have plenty of fat to lose I'd rather see the scale moving...at least a little....but I will take measurements, like I said, my clothes fit differently so I know something is happening....I appreciate you time and thoughts.
    Options

Thanks all!

Muscle does indeed weigh more than fat, but you haven't gained a ton of muscle in such a short period of time. Your muscles do produce a fluid to help repair after tearing them from working out. Just keep going and the weight will come off...but you should take measurements so you can see that you are indeed changing.

I do know and understand that I would rather be fit than light! I just also know that since I still have plenty of fat to lose I'd rather see the scale moving...at least a little....but I will take measurements, like I said, my clothes fit differently so I know something is happening....I appreciate you time and thoughts.

You are welcome. I don't know how much cardio you do, but trying having two days of just cardio. That's what I do. 45 minutes of cardio and abs, two days a week. Good luck!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I dont see the point in eating back exercise calories unless you are trying to maintain your weight.

That would be true, if you weren't already eating at a calrie deficit. but MFP has already set up a deficit so that statement is incorrect.
    @ Agirard25: Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound just like the old "what weighs more a pound of feathers or a pound of steel?" Muscle however takes up less volume. So you could be losing inches and not pounds. I know when I did 30DS I lost more inches then pounds because you are building lots of muscle. If you want to see a pound loss instead, try switching up your workout to something a little more cardio such as running or Bob Harpers cardio DVD.

She never mentioned lbs, you are arguing against something she never actually stated.

If you are going to be pedantic - actually an inch of fat takes up the same space as an inch of muscle.
  • Agirard25
    Options
    Thank you!! I appreciate the feedback-and you are right, a lb is a lb....my clothes feel better on my body so for today I think I will just focus on that and let the scale go...I usually only weigh myself twice a week--and I only "count" my friday morning weigh in. I was up a lb and a half today but I do believe that was from water to repair my muscles from a hard workout yesterday! Again, thank you, I think I was having a moment but I am going to just focus on how loose my jeans feel today! I will need to go down a size soon!