Is running worth it at this point?

Options
2»

Replies

• eletelephant
    Options
    It took me 6 weeks to get hooked on running. It also took me a year of biking and walking just to get enough in shape to even think about C25k. It was hard work, but something happened after the 6 week point. If you can give it a go for that long and still don't love it, try something else. There is nothing wrong with walking and you can sign up for 5ks, 10ks, 1/2 and full marathons and walk them (the races are fun and very motivating). I do intervals of running and walking. It works best for me that way and I enjoy it a lot more.

The most important thing is to find something that you love so you will stay active for life. :)
  • eletelephant
    Options
    Oh, one big thing with C25k... RUN SLOW. March if you have to if that gets you through your running interval. You have to build muscle and lung capacity before you can even think about pace. If you try to run too fast, you will be prone to injury or burnout.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    You have lots of great responses here.

Here is my opinion, do what works for you and what you like. If you like what you are doing for exercise you are more likely to stick to it!

I love walking. I might start running at some point, but considering I hated it growing up and I was in great shape then as I was a dancer, I have my doubts I'd like it now, but who knows!

Stick with what works and don't second guess yourself is my opinion!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I hate running. So I don't do it. Not running hasn't stopped me from losing weight.
  • delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    Options
    HIIT is the best form of cardio there is.. so what do i think of it? I think if you dont like running but tolerate hit that you should keep the HIIT up but just push yourself harder as you progress.

Keep it up!
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I've been running on a treadmill since September. I'd love to run outside, but that isn't possible due to some health issues. I hate running. I do it anyway, three times a week, 3-4 miles each time. I keep thinking I'll eventually learn to like it, but no, I don't think I ever will. I just don't like exercise!!! :laugh:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I tell myself and others I love running. When I can't run, I miss it. But there's rarely a time when the thought, "What the hell am I doing this for?!" doesn't cross my mind at least once during a run.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I started running last year and the thing that keeps me running is that it's the sport with the easiest access to competition.
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I felt like it was something other people could do, but not me.

Clearly I have an emotional attachment to this issue, because this got me choked up. Now I have to go back and rethink all this with that knowledge in mind. Why do we humans have to be so complex?

Also...MoreBean13, you pointed out a mistake on my part. I misspoke when I said I was working at the top of my anaerobic range. That should be at the top of my aerobic range. (Damn. Can't edit it now. Hopefully it doesn't throw folks off too much.) I sometimes wander into the anaerobic as well, but mostly work in the 80% range. My BPM range (and I'm basing this on what my Polar HRM says) is between 118 and 164 BPM or thereabouts.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I felt like it was something other people could do, but not me.

Clearly I have an emotional attachment to this issue, because this got me choked up. Now I have to go back and rethink all this with that knowledge in mind. Why do we humans have to be so complex?

Also...MoreBean13, you pointed out a mistake on my part. I misspoke when I said I was working at the top of my anaerobic range. That should be at the top of my aerobic range. (Damn. Can't edit it now. Hopefully it doesn't throw folks off too much.) I sometimes wander into the anaerobic as well, but mostly work in the 80% range. My BPM range (and I'm basing this on what my Polar HRM says) is between 118 and 164 BPM or thereabouts.
    Ahh...makes sense now :) My advice still stands, dial back the intensity and give running a shot- don't focus on the mileage, just the time that you're doing it. You know when you're walking across a street and then a car is coming and you sort of pretend you're running to get out of the way but it's really like a slow shuffle? Run at that pace. And increase the time you can stand doing it, and walk in between running intervals. Only walk as long as it takes to bring your HR down a little and allow you to catch your breath.

When I first decided to pick up running, I signed up for a half marathon that was a year away (on my birthday :smile: ). It was a fairly expensive one and I was a college student at the time, so it was a huge commitment. Somewhere during that year I fell in love. To this day, I still hate the first 11 minutes of every run. Every negative thought about running and my ability to do it crosses my mind, but I know that it will all be better after 11 mins. And it is, every time. The more I don't want to do it, the more fulfilling the run ultimately becomes. You will get there, if you want to, and it will feel awesome!
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for your perspectives. :flowerforyou:

osualex...I don't like the impact on my joints, and the fact that it leaves me sucking air. It totally takes me back to the time when I was an unfit kid made to run laps in the school gym. That's what made me afraid of exercise in the first place. I know some of this would improve with consistent practice, but I also know that would take a long time and I'm not sure I want it enough to work through too much of that.

I think I'm just having trouble getting over the feeling that I'm "wimping out" by not learning to run. I know I work hard at my walking workouts - my HR proves that - but I've always had this idea that the goal should be to run.

Sorry for the public navel-gazing, but your input really is appreciated!

That was ME 30 pounds ago, painful joints and sucking air. I'd have tears in my eyes sometimes while running. I'm not sure what your weight is, but if you are obese, you may well want to consider running again after you've lost some more weight. Some people's joints are very strong and can handle the impact of running while obese, but mine couldn't. I was in so much pain and was completely miserable. Even when I was playing sports in high school, I never got eased into running, so to speak, so I never liked it because I felt I would never be good enough at it.

You are NOT wimping out. You need to do what is best for you and forget everyone else. I feel like no one ever admits just how hard running is, when you see people who look so graceful and relaxed doing it. I still don't look like that!

If you ever want to revisit running, try the Ease into 5k app. It's what I'm doing now that I've restarted running and it finally doesn't feel like a chore.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I tried treadmill... I tried a lot of different things. Then I started walking and adding little jogs here and there. I didn't do c25k and I've heard from some people that it pushes too much. If you want to try running outside start slow with walking... adding some slow jogging... listen to your body. 2 years ago I never would have thought I'd be a runner, and now I'm getting awards in my age group. I love going out each day never knowing what I'm going to run into. I've run in a hurricane, snow storm, with turkeys.... :smile: I love never knowing where I'll end up. I also love how I feel. Running has made me feel so much younger and given me so much energy, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love going different routes, different distances, the people I meet. I love being a runner.

oh yeah... my knees were really bad when I was heavier. I had to use my arms to lower myself into a chair. I don't know if it's just me but all the walking and then running seems like it helped... but then again it might be not carrying that extra weight. :smile:
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Looks like you got some good advice here, just want to add that if you really do want to run. . . it does get easier. It just takes time. I got back into running about 3 months ago and it was really ugly at first. My heart rate was ridiculously high and I was sucking air BIG time. I can go run now and while there is always an element of a challenge to running, my body is cooperating and I feel stronger out on the road. I love running again!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I am a huge believer in not doing things you hate...I hate running. Period.

There are a few times when i am forced to run short distances during my group workouts and I HATE IT - with a burning passion...

It hurts my hips, my ankles (I have a bad ankle - so it usually will swell up a few hours after running) - I can't catch my breath I get that stitch in my side (and I drink PLENTY of water during the day so it isn't because of dehydration).

I choose to do other things that don't involve running and I am happy with it...

That being said I signed up for a 5K...with my sister - it is the Rugged Manic - where you have 15 different obsticles....I have told her to expect walking most of the course....or hoping if she does force me to run there will be a bit of a line at each obsticale so I can hopefully catch my breath before the obsticle...I fully plan to be lying on my couch in pain with a swollen ankle on Sunday :)
  • Amandasmfp2011
    Options
    I tried running 2 years ago and gave up, just deciding that it wasn't for me. I just couldn't run and breathe at the same time! I've spent the last two years cycling, swimming, Zumba-ing, spinning and walking fast on the treadmill, anything but running. My partner also tried running 2 years ago and has stuck with it, having done various races and even a marathon. Every time he set off for a run, I would wonder how come he could do it but not me.

So, I tried it again around 2 weeks ago on a treadmill at the gym. My intention was to run for 2 mins then walk for 1 min and do this 3 times as a starting point, and completely shocked myself by running for a continuous 18 mins. In fact I still can't get over it! I tried again the next day with my target being 5km and although I didn't run for as long, I did complete it. I have since ran outside 3 times now on a 5km route and can now do it in 30:28 with 3 stops of 30-60 seconds walking. I don't have a HR monitor or any gadgets so I've no idea if I am doing this all right or not, I have just ran at a speed that feels comfortable to me, but I now think I will be able to run 5km one day! I wouldn't have been able to say that a fortonight ago!
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Running on normal surfaces (ie not treadmills) is very hard on your body. It's high impact on your calves, ankles, and knees. You may not have proper shoes to support your legs and your body may also be "out of shape" to do running like that. I don't personally like to run, I'll speedwalk or do light jogging if my bike is out of commission... I just find that it's too high impact. I would stick with what you're comfortable with. If you're hurting, your body is trying to tell you something.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I tried running 2 years ago and gave up, just deciding that it wasn't for me. I just couldn't run and breathe at the same time! I've spent the last two years cycling, swimming, Zumba-ing, spinning and walking fast on the treadmill, anything but running. My partner also tried running 2 years ago and has stuck with it, having done various races and even a marathon. Every time he set off for a run, I would wonder how come he could do it but not me.

So, I tried it again around 2 weeks ago on a treadmill at the gym. My intention was to run for 2 mins then walk for 1 min and do this 3 times as a starting point, and completely shocked myself by running for a continuous 18 mins. In fact I still can't get over it! I tried again the next day with my target being 5km and although I didn't run for as long, I did complete it. I have since ran outside 3 times now on a 5km route and can now do it in 30:28 with 3 stops of 30-60 seconds walking. I don't have a HR monitor or any gadgets so I've no idea if I am doing this all right or not, I have just ran at a speed that feels comfortable to me, but I now think I will be able to run 5km one day! I wouldn't have been able to say that a fortonight ago!

Awesome story! Sounds like you're doing it right to me!